PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lions granted $11.75m cap credit

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew4008

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Detroit Lions were granted a preposterous $11.75 million salary cap credit due to a playtime incentive that DT Shaun Rogers failed to reach last season. In 2004, the Lions tied Rogers' playtime bonus to 2005 instead of the more conventional 2006 way just in case of the unlikely event that there was no extension to the collective bargaining agreement.

I heard that but didn't understand exactly what they did. It's nutty, thank goodness it isn't a team like Pittsburgh or Denver. Or Indy.

Good. They can sign 3 or 4 more Woodys and continue on their inept ways. That'll keep some good players from going to competitive threat teams.

There is Ty Rent-A-Law's money. Good NFC spot for him.

PATSNUTme said:

Yes, keep him away from Miami and any SB contender.

PATSNUTme said:
They did sign O-T-I-S for a year or two when he was obviously at the end of his rope, so I could see them signing Ty as well.

drew4008 said:
Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Detroit Lions were granted a preposterous $11.75 million salary cap credit due to a playtime incentive that DT Shaun Rogers failed to reach last season. In 2004, the Lions tied Rogers' playtime bonus to 2005 instead of the more conventional 2006 way just in case of the unlikely event that there was no extension to the collective bargaining agreement.

That incentive is why comparing Rogers' contract to a possible Seymour contract is faulty.

Miguel said:
That incentive is why comparing Rogers' contract to a possible Seymour contract is faulty.
Could you elaborate on that statement for the rest of us please?

drew4008 said:
Could you elaborate on that statement for the rest of us please?

Sure, Shaun Rogers has the highest reported contract for a DT. It was suggested by some on this board that Seymour's next contract should be in the same range as Rogers'. Well, we now know that Rogers' contract was puffed up by this incentive. I do not think for a second that Seymour's agent is going to try the same trick in order to be able to boast that he got the best contract ever for a DT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes