PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lions Darius Slay given 4 year, 50.2 million extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score

Very important to us because I'd say that Butler and Slay are on a similar level to each other at this very moment. It'll cost a good amount to get him re upped.

12.5M per year..

They are very similar though Butler is nearly a year older and Slay has a year on Butler in the league.

I still don't think he's getting anything near market value from the Pats within the next year while they have the RFA and franchise tag leverage, but maybe it's not too absurd to think that a team could offer him a big deal as a first round RFA next offseason. That would certainly make things interesting.

The guaranteed amount isn't bad - $23M over four years. That's the key figure in that deal. If the Pats could lock Butler in for five years at $26M to $28M guaranteed, that would be great.

I still don't think he's getting anything near market value from the Pats within the next year while they have the RFA and franchise tag leverage, but maybe it's not too absurd to think that a team could offer him a big deal as a first round RFA next offseason. That would certainly make things interesting.

People thought the same about Gronk and that other guy when they were both signed to big deals. The Pats have been know to give guys new contracts 2 years prior to them being free agents..

The guaranteed amount isn't bad - $23M over four years. That's the key figure in that deal. If the Pats could lock Butler in for five years at $26M to $28M guaranteed, that would be great.

Yeah i would be fine with that

Very important to us because I'd say that Butler and Slay are on a similar level to each other at this very moment. It'll cost a good amount to get him re upped.

Thanks, Joey. I always expected it would take a pretty penny to re-up Butler. The good thing about the situation (right or wrong) is that he will be a restricted FA. So the advantage, at least at this point, goes to the organization. I really hope they do right by the guy, though. He absolutely deserves a pay raise.

I guess the NBA contract landscape has warped my mind but I'd do that this second for Malcolm

I guess the NBA contract landscape has warped my mind but I'd do that this second for Malcolm
Absolutely. Any contract that size may require some give and take at other positions, but that's not a terrible ballpark figure. Pats still have some leverage on Butler a couple years out, but some balance between a deal like this one, not pissing him off, and getting something fair done should be a realistic proposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back