PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lions coach says Patriots scrambled their radio communication [merged : SI article]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Lions coach says Patriots scrambled their radio communication

Actually, the Patriots have EMP emitters, so whether it's encrypted or not it doesn't matter. And by EMP emitters, I mean they detonated a nuclear bomb in the atmosphere over Gillette. But it only affected the Lions.

The Lions are terrible.
You wouldn't need EMP emitters, you'd only need to saturate the frequency with noise.

You wouldn't need EMP emitters, you'd only need to saturate the frequency with noise.

You'd still have to have access to the frequency, though. Something I very much doubt the Patriots did. Those radios seem to go out fairly frequently. I can vaguely recall a few times where Brady would have to run over and get the play, or call them off his wrist.

This is called a "pattern of behavior". I presume that all this and much more from many, many teams is in the Commission's files. Almost all this stuff is probably utter nonsense. Only the Commission's office has the full story.

Would you be surprised the above allegation were true? Why or why not? Is you opinion different than it was last week? I expect that the allegation is unsupported nonsense, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were true. I also wouldn't be surprised in the Mangini engaged in such behavior.

The only pattern of behavior this underscores is it's human nature for most coaches who fail try to blame that failure on someone or something else.

Marinelli chose to take a job with a franchise that has been losing for almost 6 years straight now because it consistently makes bad decisions. He took the job and didn't get things turned around, in fact he went backwards from 5-11 to 13-3. He could look in the mirror or blame that on the idiot GM his owner is still mindnumbingly nuts about, or the genius OC who was brought in to mitigate his inexperience, but absent Joey Harrington he really doesn't have another scapegoat to easily point the finger at that wouldn't cost him his job by the end of year 2.

You'd still have to have access to the frequency, though. Something I very much doubt the Patriots did. Those radios seem to go out fairly frequently. I can vaguely recall a few times where Brady would have to run over and get the play, or call them off his wrist.
Figuring out what the frequency is would be very trivial, all you need is an antenna and a spectrum analyzer. When your opponent's on offense you'd see a signal on certain frequencies, when they went on defense that signal would vanish. It would be very illegal and dangerous (because of unintended jamming of public safety & air traffic control frequencies), so I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell that the team did it, but it's very easy to do.

Last edited:

This is called a "pattern of behavior".
More like a "pattern of rumor, innuendo and hearsay".

Police radio can be picked up with a cheap Radio Shack scanner. Is it that easy to listen in on the QB signals? That would be interesting to me as fan, getting to listen to communications between the coaches and QB, nevermind the advantage that could give a team.

1) The signals are encrypted.
2) The frequencies are designated by the league and the teams don't know what they are.

Its not as simple as picking up a radio scanner.

I wonder what the excuse is for the other 12 games they lost.

You beat me to my post......
BB must have been responsible for the Loons hiring and extending Matt Millen
(24-72) over 6 years.......

They are absolutely encrypted and pretty much impossible to crack. It's a non-story as far as being able to "tap into" the transmission and get any information. It basically can't be done.

But a football player said that it might have been happening, so if there is smoke, then like what Tomlin said, there is probably,....... ummm.

Ummmm.

Water. No thats not it.

Oh yeah, fire.

I think it's funny how it all comes out now if it was aproblem then they should've brought it up to the league then. It's easy to blame Belichick for this ,the only coach that does'nt belong to a Union or an Association ,so lets pick on the guy who has no backing ,because if they had found Tony Dungy at fault ,you damn right his rep would tear up the NFL . Bill's Defense is (he explained it to Goodall his interpretation of the rule ) now Bill has no Represenative to show the League how there maybe a loop hole in the rule
where if it was Dungy ...nope he's not at fault there was a loop hole. Swept under the rug ,rewritten next season

Can't you just see it now.

BB: I really really really need to use that scrambler gizmo to put the ole shabatza to Martz' airial assault! (whispering to himself). How else am I going to stop this jaugernaut.

The Lion guy reported that it completely cut out. It wasn't a noise issue.

Can't you just see it now.

BB: I really really really need to use that scrambler gizmo to put the ole shabatza to Martz' airial assault! (whispering to himself). How else am I going to stop this jaugernaut.

Um we were down to the Lions in the 4th quarter last year.

The Lion guy reported that it completely cut out. It wasn't a noise issue.
That makes perfect sense, if the radios use encryption that means they're digital. Digital signals don't just degrade and introduce noise like analog ones do, if the signal-to-noise ratio becomes unacceptable they'd just drop. It's the same thing as your digital cellphone, you don't get static like on old-school AMPS (analog) phones, if the signal gets below a certain point you just hear silence.

I really doubt the Pats would do something highly illegal, though, so I'm pretty sure the "report" is BS. Just saying that it's consistent with the laws of physics as I know them :)

Last edited:

Next we'll hear that the Patriots are respobsible for McNabb throwing up in the SB.
McNabb did ask, "Do we get our Superbowl ring back now?"

OK, this makes sense. Now I know who was responsible for my DirecTV HD cutting out this past Sunday. Those Pats are really amazing at manipulating technology. They need serious consideration for the next Star Wars Initiative!

Sports Illustrated on how video scam helped beat the Jets last playoffs

"What it does," said our ex-Patriots source, "is give the other team extra work, and as I said, that creates a playing field that's not level for both teams."

The Jets beat the Patriots with an exotic blitz package in their first meeting last season. In the next game, New England attacked it by going with a no-huddle, which, combined with the Jets' concern about running their dummy signals, put an undue strain on the New York defense. This time New England went with a maximum security package to control the feared blitzes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, then, try and compare this with anything that went on in Super Bowl XL.

Time for the commissioner to act!

Re: Sports Illustrated on how video scam helped beat the Jets last playoffs

"What it does," said our ex-Patriots source, "is give the other team extra work, and as I said, that creates a playing field that's not level for both teams."

The Jets beat the Patriots with an exotic blitz package in their first meeting last season. In the next game, New England attacked it by going with a no-huddle, which, combined with the Jets' concern about running their dummy signals, put an undue strain on the New York defense. This time New England went with a maximum security package to control the feared blitzes.

Except that the Pats won the 1st meeting last year. The Jets won the second and the Pats clobbered them in the 3rd.

Personally, the source is garbage.

ex-patriots source - could be jets source.
quite stupid if the extra work makes the jets lose.

Most ridiculous article Dr. Z has ever written. He's going to be eating some serious crow.

Most ridiculous article Dr. Z has ever written. He's going to be eating some serious crow.

=========================================

I thought it was a pretty good read, not very objective, but verry interesting quotes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes