PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Link to the Al Jazeera Report: The Dark Side. (Peyton Manning)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony2046

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
<<< (this is the link)

I just finished watching this and have few thoughts/comments.

1. Remember that this is the report initiating the response. We do not know all the facts or what Al Jazeera may have left out of the report. There is always the other side of the coin.

2. I imagine that PED is a perpetual issue that may never go away. The margins of performance which could determine the difference between a 500,000 dollar check, a 2 million dollar check or no check at all is minimal. 0.25 seconds was the difference between Gold medal and no medal in the last Olympics 100 meter race.

3. I get the feeling that if Peyton used HGH it was to help him through his neck injury etc.... I don't think he used it for a long period of time etc.... but I really don't know either way.

4. Some of the players mentioned in the report such as Clay Matthews were looking for pain management.

5. Dr. Charlie Sly states that about half the Green Packers looked for assistant at one time or another.

My thoughts on Manning are biased in some ways. I watched the NFL attempt to blow up Brady's career and put him through the wringer over a non-existent scheme. I do not want to see Manning roasted over this and would love to see one more Manning/Brady Bowl but I do not like the idea of the NFL picking or choosing who gets roasted or not because of what they feel best suits their agenda.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. This hits close to home for Peyton but the documentary includes many other big name athletes such as Julius Peppers, Clay Matthews, Mike Tyson etc...

Note: Did not see this posted anywhere and thought it deserved its own thread.

I guess the Peyton megathread is where this belongs but it got derailed by some rape-loving Rams fan.

I think PED use should be legal anyway, but the fact that he's going to get off completely free with way more evidence than the 0 against Brady pisses me off.

I guess the Peyton megathread is where this belongs but it got derailed by some rape-loving Rams fan.

I think PED use should be legal anyway, but the fact that he's going to get off completely free with way more evidence than the 0 against Brady pisses me off.

I thought about posting this in the Peyton Megathread but I was hoping to see a little feedback about the documentary itself and possibly discussing its validity. The insight provided from forum members during defamegate was at times incredible and was hoping to see little of that.

Anyways that was the thought process behind posting it in its own thread along with making a little more accessible by not burying it in a 30+ page thread.

I do apologize if someone else posted it or if it wasn't thread worthy.

I thought about posting this in the Peyton Megathread but I was hoping to see a little feedback about the documentary itself and possibly discussing its validity. The insight provided from forum members during defamegate was at times incredible and was hoping to see little of that.

Anyways that was the thought process behind posting it in its own thread along with making a little more accessible by not burying it in a 30+ page thread.

I do apologize if someone else posted it or if it wasn't thread worthy.

It's hard to know if someone posted it because you'd have to wade through a whole lot of ********, so you probably made the right call.

I watched the entire thing yesterday and posted in the mega thread ...

Other than tracking shipments there's just not a lot of red meat in that video ...

If it was a doctor who worked on him perhaps but this guy is just some wannabe spewing crap ...

How much more red meat can be obtained now that the door is ajar will be the story IMO.

It's going to have to be outside the USA media who track this down ... wagons already circled here.

The unfairness of HGH has everything to do with the costs. The drug is incredibly expensive and legalization would create tiers....those who can afford it and those who can't...on every level of sport.....so an unfairness is created (though it already exists). I've read studies on HGH that conclude HGH does little to improve athletic performance but it does have medical recovery value. I highly doubt ownership in professional sports is too eager to see legalization because the exorbitant costs would inevitably wind up on their books.

Bottom line now.

1) The Doctors statement says he was working on Peyton's recovery
2) No one denies that this doctor also sent HGH to Peyton's wife at their home as claimed in documentary
3) Peyton has refused to answer directly if his wife received shipments of HGH at their home

I think they will not be able to prove Peyton took the HGH but the sheer boneheadedness of having Peyton's Doctor send a banned substance to Peyton's wife is more than enough for the commissioner to punish Manning for conduct detrimental to the league. As Michal McCann just brought up on QuickSlants, how can the commissioner refuse to believe Brady and take what Manning says at face value? I think any reasonable person will see that Manning's recovery Doctor sending HGH to his wife at their shared home could reasonably be expected to damage the league.

There is far more here against Manning than McNally's 92 seconds in the can and a text about weight loss.

Other than tracking shipments there's just not a lot of red meat in that video ...

If it was a doctor who worked on him perhaps but this guy is just some wannabe spewing crap ...

How much more red meat can be obtained now that the door is ajar will be the story IMO.

It's going to have to be outside the USA media who track this down ... wagons already circled here.

I apologize that I missed your post.

The NYFL is now looking into this Peyton Manning scandal, according to PFT, and we all know what that means.....

Yep, the Patriots will soon be losing another 1st round draft pick.

Recording of call verifying Sly worked there in 2011. Team Manning caught in lie.

“I would emphasize that Mr. Sly was never an employee of the Guyer Institute and his brief three-month internship occurred in 2013 during which time Peyton was not even being treated or present in the office,” Dr. Guyer said. “I think it is obvious that Mr. Sly has fabricated this whole thing for reasons I cannot fathom. I am proud to have treated Peyton and helped him through his rehabilitation. Mr. Manning is one of the most honorable and upstanding individuals I have had the pleasure of knowing.”

Last edited:
I apologize that I missed your post.
No need ... that thread was time consuming.
Would have been nice to discuss the video ... like this thread.

Simple question: can anyone recall any athlete being linked to PEDs and it turning out to be false? I cannot. McGuire, Palmiero, Sosa, the Balco list, Armstrong, etc. All guilty. I believe 100% Manning took it. All the others as well. Not expecting the NFL to go after their pampered darling but I will always call him a cheater from here on.

Curious that they state that HGH is one of the few drugs that cannot be prescribed off label and yet Bob Kravitz wrote that he received HGH treatment from the Guyer clinic.

KRAVITZ: If allegations against Manning are true, another sports icon takes a fall

The three reasons HGH can be prescribed in adults are:

• Short bowel syndrome, a condition in which nutrients are not properly absorbed due to severe intestinal disease or the surgical removal of a large portion of the small intestine
  • HGH deficiency due to rare pituitary tumors or their treatment
  • Muscle-wasting disease associated with HIV/AIDS

Dr. Alan Rogol stated that there would never be a reason to prescribe HGH at an anti-aging clinic.

In Rogol’s opinion, there would “never” be reason to seek a prescription of growth hormone from an anti-aging clinic for any of those conditions. “The growth hormone deficiency would be an endocrinologist who takes care of adults,” he said. “The HIV wasting would be an infectious disease clinic, perhaps a gastroenterology clinic. And the short gut certainly be gastroenterology, gut surgery-type clinics. They would not be anti-aging clinics.”

Apparently it can be used as a fertility drug as well but not sure that would be administered or prescribed at a anti aging clinic.

EDIT: have since learned that this would be illegal.

. In this report from The Atlantic in 2013,Shawnee Barton describes her own use of the drug as prescribed by a reproductive endocrinologist to improve fertility.

Al Jazeera America report on doping outlines medical uses for HGH | Mile High Sports

Attempted to look at the Guyer institutes website but it's down.

http://www.guyerinstitute.com/

Last edited:
i really hope this story continues to develop.
just to see espn try to defend him.

probably breaks mort's heart

I saw it reported on CNN and they were not protecting Manning. They said it should be investigated.

Why would Sly be lying and spewing crap? Did Al Jazeera really just hit the jackpot of juicy info after secretly filming some crazy guy who just happened to go off and lie about one of the biggest NFL players of the last 15 years taking HGH? I can't think of any incentive for him to lie like that. I don't buy the whole "He was just trying to impress him so he name dropped a guy like Manning" excuse I see floating around either. Of all people to lie about, why even bother bringing up irrelevant players like Dustin Keller and Mike Neal as some of his most beneficial customers? He talked about them just as much, if not more, than Manning.

Sly had a perfect opportunity to lie when he brought up Clay Matthews, who he says is a high profile player, yet makes it clear he only used some pain management drugs and not PEDs like HGH, D2, etc.. He was also very decisive and never hesitated when going into detail about all the athletes or his connection back to the Guyer Institute.

Also, Sly recanting should mean next to nothing. This is a guy who, naturally & understandably, is pissed off that he was tricked and secretly recorded in his own house & car for use in a documentary exposing him, his co-workers and clients. He got duped and probably feels silly. Recanting everything is just an attempt to screw with the legitimacy of the documentary and also a potential cover up for his HIPAA violations. Here's a good quote from one of the Al Jazeera reporters on him recanting: "Do you believe what he said when he didn't realize there was anything to hide, or do you believe what he says when he knows he's about to be exposed?"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back