PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Linebackers

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulThePat

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Linebackers is always one of the positions people are talking about, especially with 1 or 2 well into the veteran stage. With this in mind I'm simply wondering about the current back ups like Eric Alexander and Pierre Woods. Is it realistic for these guys to play a lot of minutes without a big performance drop off on the defensive side of the ball. Further down the line would the likes of Eric and Pierre be seen as future starters or restricted to back up roles ?

IMHO, Pierre Woods is a "find'. He leads the Patriots in Special Teams tackles. He has been getting a few regular snaps even when the Pats had Colvin Vrabel, and occasionally AD, getting snaps in front of him.

That is not bad or a second year UDFA. But Michigan coach Lloyd Carr had him in his doghouse and talked him down from a future "first rounder" to undrafted, because ..."he didn't hustle".

You can't end up with Pierre's ST stats without hustle.

Period.

I think he certainly has the speed, size and athletic ability, to eventually be a starter. It took Tedy four years to become a regular, and I think Pierre is on course for a similar history.

I don't think Alexander has anywhere near the same ability.

Alexander has great special teams ability. I don't believe he will become a starter for the Pats at LB.

Woods is the real deal, and is in the process of getting his NFL education.

IMHO, Pierre Woods is a "find'. He leads the Patriots in Special Teams tackles. He has been getting a few regular snaps even when the Pats had Colvin Vrabel, and occasionally AD, getting snaps in front of him.

That is not bad or a second year UDFA. But Michigan coach Lloyd Carr had him in his doghouse and talked him down from a future "first rounder" to undrafted, because ..."he didn't hustle".

You can't end up with Pierre's ST stats without hustle.

Period.

I think he certainly has the speed, size and athletic ability, to eventually be a starter. It took Tedy four years to become a regular, and I think Pierre is on course for a similar history.

I don't think Alexander has anywhere near the same ability.
Why do you NOT think Alexander has that ability?? Is it just ability or other things?? Do you NOT think he started in the AFCCG because he is far behind the other LBs?? What does it say that he is still with the team after 4 years?? Might he be in a position to have reps on the inside??
They DO play different positions..but I think the Pats are quite confident in EA...

Alexander will need to add size and speed to play effectively as a starter at ILB. He had a tough time handling blockers and stopping the run last year. He's ideal for STs and spot duty, but if he sizes up, his speed must stay the same or he loses effectiveness. There's nothing wrong with being a star special teamer, but I don't think he's destined to make an impact as a regular at ILB.

It is NOT realistic to give Alexander and/or Woods lots of defensive reps and expect little reduction in performance. However, IMHO, we should still be giving them major reps in the last three games of the season. There is much to gain, and little to lose. Certainly, the starters could use a reduction in reps, especially Bruschi. Perhaps more importantly, depending on situation, we may need either Alexander or Woods in the playoffs for more than Special Teams. They weren't ready last year. We should do what we can to have them more ready this year.

The risk is that we lose one or more of the last three games. To me, that matters little. The goal is to win the SB. Once HFA is established, all that matters is increasing the probablitiy of winning each playoff game, and being prepared for various contingincies of oppoenents and injuries.

Linebackers is always one of the positions people are talking about, especially with 1 or 2 well into the veteran stage. With this in mind I'm simply wondering about the current back ups like Eric Alexander and Pierre Woods. Is it realistic for these guys to play a lot of minutes without a big performance drop off on the defensive side of the ball. Further down the line would the likes of Eric and Pierre be seen as future starters or restricted to back up roles ?

It is NOT realistic to give Alexander and/or Woods lots of defensive reps and expect little reduction in performance. However, IMHO, we should still be giving them major reps in the last three games of the season. There is much to gain, and little to lose. Certainly, the starters could use a reduction in reps, especially Bruschi. Perhaps more importantly, depending on situation, we may need either Alexander or Woods in the playoffs for more than Special Teams. They weren't ready last year. We should do what we can to have them more ready this year.
Those are good points. Would prefer we give them major reps without losing a game. I believe it can be done. But the team is still grooming Alexander as an emergency sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots