PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Linebackers suitable for our system - 09 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

KillEM

Banned
Reaction score
LB's are a key part of the 3-4 defense.

With Bruschi declining and getting close to retirement we need another ILB. Guyton looks good but fits the WILB role, which Mayo is already playing. We need a SILB.

The SILB is usually a bit bigger and attacks the line more. LB's from this years draft that fit this role: Rey Maualuga, Jasper Brinkley, Clint Sintim, Brian Cushing. Any others?

While I like Brandon Spikes he seems like a similar player to Mayo. More of a WILB play maker. James Laurenitis isn't suitable for a 3-4.

Here's a blurb I found on 34 Linebackers that id thought Id share...

Inside Linebackers (ILB):

In a 3-4 system, the SILB (strongside inside linebacker) and WILB (weakside inside linebacker) typically have slightly differing roles.

The primary concern of the SILB is to shed blocks and stop the run on the inside, whereas the WILB is a pass covering MLB who is also decent at run stuffing. Both need to be able to get to the outside when an outside run is featured.

The SILB does not need elite speed - instead, he needs to be able to handle interior offensive lineman, shed blocks, and get to the runner. The SILB also blitzes sometimes to create pressure up the middle.

The WILB is generally a smaller, faster version of the SILB who has skills in pass coverage. Often times, he is one on one with a tight end, or drops back into zone coverage around the middle. He is also however decent at scraping blocks and stopping the run when needed. SILB need good hips and reaction in order to cover well.

Drafting interior linebackers for a 3-4 generally does not differ too much from drafting a 4-3 linebacker. A typical ILB will weigh in the 240-260lb range. Teams will look for MLB in a 4-3 who have certain characteristics of either a SILB or WILB. In addition, ILB who very physical are important, especially for the SILB, as most of the time they are matched up against lineman.

Mayo will be a starter at WILB for the next 10 years. We need to fill the spot beside him so he can roam around freely and make plays. How do we go about filling this role.

Last edited:
Actually ,Guyton is more of a downhill SILB type and in all the snaps he has plays he comes in for bru.He has not playwed WILB at all.
In the WEEI interview bru mentioned his primary backup is Guyton and how important it is to get him in game reps incase bru goes down due to injury,

what am i missing from all the above. I think next year i would like some TE and OL. It is sad even after spending all the picks on TE we have not found a dorminant TE .

I think Tom Brady has covered up many holes in this team for years that we are now seeing get exposed. Need to draft and develop a LT and RT soon, need a young SILB, need a SS to develop (not sold on Sanders), Need a top flight CB (even if the rookies develop). I think we've actually had a couple very average drafts the last few years.

I think Tom Brady has covered up many holes in this team for years that we are now seeing get exposed. Need to draft and develop a LT and RT soon, need a young SILB, need a SS to develop (not sold on Sanders), Need a top flight CB (even if the rookies develop). I think we've actually had a couple very average drafts the last few years.

I think O-Line is the top priority. I'd like to see a right guard, right tackle, and maybe a left tack down the road to improve the running game and even pass blocking when they decide just to block with the 5 o-linemen.

I'd say right side of the line is a major concern. keeping mankins.

we did draft some corners so I'm fine with them unless you can get a steal.

I think we need a rushing OLB if we can get an upgrade over crable.

we've had trouble getting after the qb at times

The 2009 draft is looking to have quite a few linebackers that can fit into BB's system. Seven weeks ago, I would not have been so optimistic, but now I am really thinking BB can get a quality LB or two from this draft.

First the biggest problem I see with this draft, from a Pats perspective is the lack of a true pass rush demon that can come off the edge and drop opposing QBs, but still play the run well if needed. A lot of you are off on a tangent about drafting TEs and OTs, but in my mind, an edge pass rushing demon is mission critical for our defense, Thomas is playing well at OLB, but is looking more and more out of position as the weeks go by and is ideally suited to replace Bruschi at SILB next season.

All that being said however, draftable ILBers in this draft that fit the Pats scheme.

1.) James Laurenitis- This is a complete change of direction for me. However this season, he has shown me he has the ability to take on and shed OGs and OTs and still get to the ball. Last season he ran around blockers, this season he is running through them and that is why I am changing my stance on him.

PS: Maualuga is dropping like a stone as a fit for the PAts in my opinion. First he could not get off any blocks vs. OSU and second without a dominant pair of DTs in front of him, he looks to be less than what I expected from him.

2.) Applesby Virginia - Strong fundamentals and instincts and is playing for Groh so he comes with a lot of knowweldge and experience with the 3-4 defense. I question the speed, so we'll see how he runs at the combine.

3.) Brinkley of South Carolina. A 270 pounder that two years ago ran well and brought the wood on every tackle. Nasty! And not completely horrible in coverage. Right now he is NOT the same player he was two seasons ago, but the knee is still healing. If he continues to heal and gets the speed back, he could be a day two steal for BB come draft time.

A saw Cushings play on the inside for USC last week and he was horrible there. He is simply an outside guy that is excellent against the run, can get after the QB but judging by his performance last week, is horribly dreadful in coverage.

A lot of people are trying to project Hardy of Ole Miss and Johnson of Ga. Tech as 3-4 OLBs. As of right now, I see neither as being capable. Hardy is a whale of a player but his fundamentals are so weak, I can't see BB taking a chance on the guy unless BB nees a reclamation project to tackle. And Johnson, I am not sure he has the speed or enough sand in the pants to set the edge. He kind of reminds me of Crable, but with more pass rushing skill.

Keep an eye on Virginia's Clint Sintim, 6-3 255, as a Pats OLB prospect. In his favor is his 3-4 experience in Groh's system. Even though he leads the ACC in sacks, he's not really a demon off the edge -- just a smart, steady player. And as we know, from a Pats perspective, Groh's certainly qualified to say yay or nay to one of his LBs fitting the Pats D.

Decent LB crop this draft.

Keep an eye on Virginia's Clint Sintim, 6-3 255, as a Pats OLB prospect. In his favor is his 3-4 experience in Groh's system. Even though he leads the ACC in sacks, he's not really a demon off the edge -- just a smart, steady player. And as we know, from a Pats perspective, Groh's certainly qualified to say yay or nay to one of his LBs fitting the Pats D.

Decent LB crop this draft.

Yeah...Sintim has the ideal size. I wonder if he could be kicked inside to play SILB, and how versatile he is.

Right now he's ranked as one of the best Senior's by Scouts Inc.

People calling for OLine and TE are ridiculous. If Belicheck wanted OLine help, he would've drafted Brandon Albert or Clady this year instead of reaching for Mayo.

Our OLine was amazing all of last year, except for one game against a team with 3 pro bowl caliber DE's.

They look worst this year because Cassell is behind them and holds on too long.

Actually ,Guyton is more of a downhill SILB type and in all the snaps he has plays he comes in for bru.He has not playwed WILB at all.

He's not a downhill type... he runs a 4.4 40 and owned the agility tests... Curtis Lofton is a downhill type.

Guytons undersized for SILB, plus his speed is going to waste there.

Probably more of a rotational player. We'll have to wait and see how he plays this year before jumping to any conclusions though.

Last edited:
People calling for OLine and TE are ridiculous. If Belicheck wanted OLine help, he would've drafted Brandon Albert or Clady this year instead of reaching for Mayo.

Why do you think that Albert/Clady wouldn't have been a reach but Mayo was?

Why do you think that Albert/Clady wouldn't have been a reach but Mayo was?

Generally ILB's are selected that high. A few exceptions, like Patrick Willis.

But Mayo was never rated as highly. Mayo was mostly a 2nd round projection for the majority of the year and was a late riser after the combine... most people thought the highest he'd go was 15 to Detroit.

Clady/Albert are both LT's... a position generally taken very high in the Draft. Clady was ranked as a Top 10 prospect all year while Albert (much like Mayo) was a late riser.

I had Mayo projected later as well because his rise was so sudden. But it looks like the Pats picked the right guy, so I'm not upset with the pick. An OT or RG in round 2 I think would be a helpful pick. Keep Tom Brady upright in 2009 will be a key to success imo.

As for ILBs, Mauluga has long impressed. But if his stock plummets, getting him in the late 20's woldn't be a bad pickup, ala Wilfork.

Last edited:
I had Mayo projected later as well because his rise was so sudden. But it looks like the Pats picked the right guy, so I'm not upset with the pick. An OT or RG in round 2 I think would be a helpful pick. Keep Tom Brady upright in 2009 will be a key to success imo.

As for ILBs, Mauluga has long impressed. But if his stock plummets, getting him in the late 20's woldn't be a bad pickup, ala Wilfork.

I like Maualuga too and I think he'd be good as an ILB in our system. He could use some work and might take a year or two to develop, but the guys a beast.

He has perfect size for the position and his ability to blitz would be a huge asset. He's also shown natural coverage skills.

We'll probably get a pick around 20-25... I dont think Maualuga will fall that far.

The 2009 draft is looking to have quite a few linebackers that can fit into BB's system. Seven weeks ago, I would not have been so optimistic, but now I am really thinking BB can get a quality LB or two from this draft.

First the biggest problem I see with this draft, from a Pats perspective is the lack of a true pass rush demon that can come off the edge and drop opposing QBs, but still play the run well if needed. A lot of you are off on a tangent about drafting TEs and OTs, but in my mind, an edge pass rushing demon is mission critical for our defense, Thomas is playing well at OLB, but is looking more and more out of position as the weeks go by and is ideally suited to replace Bruschi at SILB next season.

All that being said however, draftable ILBers in this draft that fit the Pats scheme.

1.) James Laurenitis- This is a complete change of direction for me. However this season, he has shown me he has the ability to take on and shed OGs and OTs and still get to the ball. Last season he ran around blockers, this season he is running through them and that is why I am changing my stance on him.

PS: Maualuga is dropping like a stone as a fit for the PAts in my opinion. First he could not get off any blocks vs. OSU and second without a dominant pair of DTs in front of him, he looks to be less than what I expected from him.

2.) Applesby Virginia - Strong fundamentals and instincts and is playing for Groh so he comes with a lot of knowweldge and experience with the 3-4 defense. I question the speed, so we'll see how he runs at the combine.

3.) Brinkley of South Carolina. A 270 pounder that two years ago ran well and brought the wood on every tackle. Nasty! And not completely horrible in coverage. Right now he is NOT the same player he was two seasons ago, but the knee is still healing. If he continues to heal and gets the speed back, he could be a day two steal for BB come draft time.

A saw Cushings play on the inside for USC last week and he was horrible there. He is simply an outside guy that is excellent against the run, can get after the QB but judging by his performance last week, is horribly dreadful in coverage.

A lot of people are trying to project Hardy of Ole Miss and Johnson of Ga. Tech as 3-4 OLBs. As of right now, I see neither as being capable. Hardy is a whale of a player but his fundamentals are so weak, I can't see BB taking a chance on the guy unless BB nees a reclamation project to tackle. And Johnson, I am not sure he has the speed or enough sand in the pants to set the edge. He kind of reminds me of Crable, but with more pass rushing skill.
Ochmed, any thoughts on Mike Rivera, OLB, Kansas? I can see him playing inside.

The kid I really like the best is junior Eric Norwood, OLB, South Carolina. He'll probably need to play inside, but he's a playmaker. Jasper Brinkley never did it for me before his injury and watching the LSU game I thought he looked fitter, but still slow and not as instinctive as we'd like to see.

I see Guyton more of an OLB. He is going to be a good player for us just you watch.

Ochmed, any thoughts on Mike Rivera, OLB, Kansas? I can see him playing inside.

The kid I really like the best is junior Eric Norwood, OLB, South Carolina. He'll probably need to play inside, but he's a playmaker. Jasper Brinkley never did it for me before his injury and watching the LSU game I thought he looked fitter, but still slow and not as instinctive as we'd like to see.

I watched the LSU/SC game last night as well. I thought Brinkley lookedmuch better than he did in the first game against NC State. He was moving much better andseemed to be playing with less hesitation. I also saw that he did not look as instinctive as last year, but I thought the defense was set up to funnel all cut backs by LSU RB's directly toward him.

Norwood is short only about about 6 foot or 6'1". HE hits hard though but was out of the game for long stretches during the 4th Q. I wonder if he got dinged up.

I watched the LSU/SC game last night as well. I thought Brinkley lookedmuch better than he did in the first game against NC State. He was moving much better andseemed to be playing with less hesitation. I also saw that he did not look as instinctive as last year, but I thought the defense was set up to funnel all cut backs by LSU RB's directly toward him.

Norwood is short only about about 6 foot or 6'1". HE hits hard though but was out of the game for long stretches during the 4th Q. I wonder if he got dinged up.
I believe Norwood was cramping, classic Spurrier, he had several guys out with cramps when he needed them most. I know Norwood's short, but he gets into the thick of things and seems to recognize plays quickly, I could see him in the Pats 3-4 alongside Mayo in a 3-man rotation with Guyton. We'll trust/hope Crable and Redd will develop into the bookends they need.

Brinkley looked about the way he did last season and the one before when I watched him - I seem to remember you commenting with disappointment about lack of instinct for both Brinkley and the Vanderbilt kid a year or two back. I'd take a late round flyer on him, but I don't see him as a day one value.

If you get a chance to look at Rivera of Kansas, check him out as a possible day two option - I was doing other things, but when I did focus on the TV he seemed to be in the thick of things too. Speed would be my first concern with him.

I'm a big fan of Clint Sintim. Aaron Curry from Wake Forest is one to watch too...

Nobody likes Brandon Spikes? Is it because of the school he goes to? Don't worry, he's not a wide receiver...

Nobody likes Brandon Spikes? Is it because of the school he goes to? Don't worry, he's not a wide receiver...

I am not a fan of Spikes and it has nothing to do with Florida and everything to do with the difficulty I have projecting him into a 3-4 defense. He is much more likely to run around the OG's he'll face then blow them up or shed them.

And while I see BB having a bit of a paradign shift in how he views LBers, I just can't see BB going there unless Spikes shows me a lot more courage and power.

I like Maualuga too and I think he'd be good as an ILB in our system. He could use some work and might take a year or two to develop, but the guys a beast.

He has perfect size for the position and his ability to blitz would be a huge asset. He's also shown natural coverage skills.

We'll probably get a pick around 20-25... I dont think Maualuga will fall that far.

I see Rey currently in the 20-25 range. He has not had a great season thus far and he managed to miss some time with an injury. however I think he will have a huge off season and skyrocket back up the baord. I still see him as more of a 4-3 LBer than a 3-4 LBer. He needs space and is not going to be as successful taking on Tackles and Guards in the NFL.

Oher of Ole Miss is another that is dropping some and at the beginning of the year, I saw him as a top 5 selection. But he has struggled some and now I see him in the 15-25 range.

Stafford of Georgia appears to be sktrocketing up the baord, but I still think he would be better served with another year in school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes