PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Linebacker - scouting the prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know everyone here hates him but he's one of the few OLB/DEs in this draft that has the measurables BB likes. And he's actually a polished pass rusher, unlike Kindle and Griffen.

I don't understand the Kindle love. He looks like a complete lightweight to me. He seems better suited to OLB in the Giants defence.

Last edited:
I do like Greg Hardy, in terms of production. Back in December/January we were talking a lot on the draft forum about drafting an 'elephant' OLB, in the Willie McGinest mold, and there were 3 main candidates - Carlos Dunlap, Greg Hardy and Greg Romeus.

Well, Dunlap never addressed the motor concerns, Hardy hasn't really fixed the attitude concerns and Romeus returned for his senior year. So....here we are. And I still don't know who to draft.

I'm pretty sure Hardy measured in the mid 4.7s; that's only source I've seen that has him in the 4.6s. Even so, I'm convinced he'll drop another ten pounds and a tenth of a second off his time in the next three or four months. He's recovering from several major injuries and is still getting his body back into peak shape. Early on in the draft process I had him as my number one OLB target, but the injury concerns have dropped him down my board a bit. Nonetheless, I do like his game, and think we should take a flier on him if he's available in the 3rd/4th round. He has the potential to be an absolute beast, even though I don't think he'll be a regular double-digit sack guy.

I do like Greg Hardy, in terms of production. Back in December/January we were talking a lot on the draft forum about drafting an 'elephant' OLB, in the Willie McGinest mold, and there were 3 main candidates - Carlos Dunlap, Greg Hardy and Greg Romeus.

Well, Dunlap never addressed the motor concerns, Hardy hasn't really fixed the attitude concerns and Romeus returned for his senior year. So....here we are. And I still don't know who to draft.

Yeah, I remember those discussions/debates. As I said back then, I don't think the attitude is a concern. He's shy and artistic, not aloof and arrogant, as some have characterized him. I relate. (Aside: it bothers me when pundits wax eloquent on player's "character concerns" and mention that his poor attitude may hold him back, but a DUI or marijuana possession is just a youthful mistake. C'mon. You can't have a double standard like that. I just turned 22, so I'm the same age as these kids, and even though I don't have everything sorted out, I know the difference between breaking the law and just having some growing up to do.)

Hardy dropping might be the best thing to happen to him, because a team will take him that actually wants him and will invest time into him; he won't just be the next hot prospect.

I don't understand the Kindle love. He looks like a complete lightweight to me. He seems better suited to OLB in the Giants defence.
That or a heavy blitzing 3-4 the Jets use. He'd be good in a Baltimore Adalius Thomas role where the schemes used his explosiveness to shoot gaps and make plays. But he has no actual pass rushing skills to line straight up against a tackle and beat him consistently.

I'm pretty sure Hardy measured in the mid 4.7s; that's only source I've seen that has him in the 4.6s. Even so, I'm convinced he'll drop another ten pounds and a tenth of a second off his time in the next three or four months. He's recovering from several major injuries and is still getting his body back into peak shape. Early on in the draft process I had him as my number one OLB target, but the injury concerns have dropped him down my board a bit. Nonetheless, I do like his game, and think we should take a flier on him if he's available in the 3rd/4th round. He has the potential to be an absolute beast, even though I don't think he'll be a regular double-digit sack guy.

Hardy is so injury prone he never completed a full season in college. We already heve enough IR players.

Scout.com: NFL Draft Q&A: Northwestern DE Corey Wootton
I think it will help me a lot to show them my athleticism, because I’ve heard that there are teams that like me as a 3-4 linebacker.

CS: At Northwestern, you played linebacker occasionally, but will you feel comfortable if you’re asked to switch to linebacker full-time at the next level?

Wootton: Yes, I’ve done that [dropping back] quite a few times; I have four interceptions in my career. A 3-4 linebacker is where you just drop into the flat; there’s no man-to-man coverage. It wouldn’t be like I had to defend a running back one-on-one or anything like that. It’s a pretty simple philosophy for the most part.
Most people here view him as a DE but apparently some teams (which I bet included the Patriots) are viewing him as a 3-4 OLB. Honestly, I could see BB wanting to use him in the elephant role. Wooton definitely has that skill set.

I keep seeing Brandon Spikes sliding on a lot of Mock boards, cuz of his reportedly horrid 5.01 forty time. Any chance the Pats make a play for him at some point in the draft? His size, and instincts play into what BB likes in his LB's, 40 time aside. If he does the moon walk like some see, he might go all the way into the 3rd round, maybe 4th. Would you take a flyer on him if that's the case?

Last edited:
I keep seeing Brandon Spikes sliding on a lot of Mock boards, cuz of his reportedly horrid 5.01 forty time. Any chance the Pats make a play for him at some point in the draft? His size, and instincts play into what BB likes in his LB's, 40 time aside. If he does the moon walk like some see, he might go all the way into the 3rd round, maybe 4th. Would you take a flyer on him if that's the case?

Hell yes, he is part of the Cody, Dunlap, Dez Bryant, Spikes Haynesworth, Brandon Marshall master plan I have in mind.

Not sure if it was mentioned, but I think that Edds running a solid 4.65 and being 6'3.5" is a good thing.. The only problem is his strength.. 16 reps on the benchpress isn't great.

I've been watching a little film of Edds, I think he can play OLB for this team. He's not a pass rusher, but he can do everything else, including blitz. He can probably bulk up to the 250-255 range and be good at setting the edge. He also provides some flexibility to shift inside or even plan Sam in a 43 look. Don't understand why so many have him rated as a late round prospect. I'd be happy taking him somewhere in the 3rd (obviously with some trades involved).

Hell yes, he is part of the Cody, Dunlap, Dez Bryant, Spikes Haynesworth, Brandon Marshall master plan I have in mind.

I have my own devious master plan and Spikes will be involved...and no...top of the 2nd round guy IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes