PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Linebacker panic thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayClay

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
I do trust in BB. Yes I do.

But what's up with the linebackers? When I said Beisel wasn't that great last year the cry was "Claridge is our future at ILB!"

Now?

It's obviously a talent deficit compared to McGinest barring a big acquisition.

Now I realized that Matt Chatham would be way up on the depth chart on this team.

I'm afraid of overcoming the loss of Chatham? Somethings wrong.

Besides our three liebackers we have:

Special teamer TBC. If he was ready for primetime, why not when Bruschi was out?

Beisel? Let's face it he sucked much of last year. Apparently played well towards the end.

Chad Brown-See Beisel

Mincey?- The Pats picked a kicker and a TE who's too small to play TE before him. They did get a good value Lineman, but the fact is they had 2 #4's and a #5 and they still waited til the 190th pick. I hope he works out, but You aren't expecting to replace a McGinest with that lack of urgency.

What we have left is a few guys that weren't good enought to be drafted.

I know, draft position desn't prove anything, but let's face it teams are grasping at straws in the 6th and seventh. We had three 6th and a 7th. We probably drafted at least one guy that won't make the team. If we "had to have" Roach wouldn't we have drafted him?

Some guy named Gardner nobody seems enthusiastic about. Eric Alexander is a nice guy by all accounts and has actually been on the team at various points.

I think the rest are career special teamers, (unlike TBC, I hope).

C'mon, tell me I'm wrong. Or tell me we're making a late acquisition.

If there was a problem, it would have been fixed by now.

No need to panic.

pats1 said:
If there was a problem, it would have been fixed by now.

No need to panic.

The problem is it's the same cast of characters as last year -- minus Willie. I don't see how anybody could look at the possibility of Beisel and Chad Brown taking significant snaps on this defense when the injury bug hits as a good thing based on what we saw last year. Beisel has some upside. He could be vastly improved. The emphasis on could. But Brown is what he is.

Maybe they can bring back Starks and Poole for the trifecta.

SoonerPatriot said:

I hear they are clearing room on IR for those two as we speak!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it time to bust out the 4-3 threads? LOL
I'm thinking weird stuff going on is better than nothing going on.
What's your favorite Kool-Aid flavor? LOL

SoonerPatriot said:
The problem is it's the same cast of characters as last year -- minus Willie. I don't see how anybody could look at the possibility of Beisel and Chad Brown taking significant snaps on this defense when the injury bug hits as a good thing based on what we saw last year. Beisel has some upside. He could be vastly improved. The emphasis on could. But Brown is what he is.

Too late. Al Davis already wrapped up both of them.

As I just said - Beioli have, are, and will make sure this team is fully prepared to win it all. Everything won't happen overnight, so let's wait until December - or better yet never - to panic.

RayClay said:
C'mon, tell me I'm wrong. Or tell me we're making a late acquisition.

Okay, you're wrong.

But i dunno why.

Here, have some more of my kool-aid ... i got plenty.

We want a blend of youth and experience at linebacker, not to mention versatility. Chad is experienced, he also learned a lot last season as did Beisel - lest we forget, that is how BB develops players and I have this unreasonable confidence in Dean Pees as a sneaky, offense befuddling DC.

Now as to panic: BB got this team to the divisional round with two green coordinators and a handful or two of major injuries. We have a fresh start with plenty of talent and experienced coordinators, things could be worse. :D

pats1 said:

As I just said - Beioli have, are, and will make sure this team is fully prepared to win it all. Everything won't happen overnight, so let's wait until December - or better yet never - to panic.

It's legitimate to question if we've shored up the position. Hell knows I don't really panic as we have the best personnel team going.

Personally, I think there's a late pickup brewing. If everyone's healthy I think our talent has gone way down hill at LB.

With injuries? I don't want to think about it.:bricks:

Well returning cast

Starters
Vrabel
Bruschi
Beisel
Colvin

Backups
TBC
Brown
Alexander
Chatham
Izzo
Davis

New Faces
Roach
Mincey

That's 12 linebackers and I'm sure I'm missing some more. I don't see what the panic is about. :confused:

VJCPatriot said:
Well returning cast

Starters
Vrabel
Bruschi
Beisel
Colvin

Backups
TBC
Brown
Alexander
Chatham
Izzo
Davis

New Faces
Roach
Mincey

That's 12 linebackers and I'm sure I'm missing some more. I don't see what the panic is about. :confused:

Besides the starters the one most ready to step up is probably Chatham.

Unfortunately he's been gone for a while.:rolleyes:

Yes we do have a lot of special teamers and low and no draft picks at LB. What's your point?

Last edited:
VJCPatriot said:
Well returning cast

Starters
Vrabel
Bruschi
Beisel
Colvin

Backups
TBC
Brown
Alexander
Chatham
Izzo
Davis

New Faces
Roach
Mincey

+ Gardner from the Jets. Now I am not saying all these back ups are fantastic, but I agree we have quite a lot.

But Chatam is with the Jets.............

Last edited:
RayClay said:
Special teamer TBC. If he was ready for primetime, why not when Bruschi was out?

TBC couldn't handle me.

RayClay said:
.... Personally, I think there's a late pickup brewing. :bricks:

Ah, Ray.
Dja see that we signed ol' Chad?

You must be prescient.

Or doesn't Chad qualify?

Last edited by a moderator:
flutie2phelan said:
Ah, Ray.
Dja see that we signed ol' Chad?

You must be prescient.

Or doesn't Chad qualify?

Not a retread, a pickup.:D

Nothing to worry about, six letters: K-L-E-C-K-O ;

If Klecko can't make it as an ILB, then he can't make it, period.
He is not explosive enough as an OLB, and not large enough as a 3-4 DL.
Izzo and/or Davis as backups? Please. They're not even good STers anymore. The sooner they're both cut, the better.
According to KFFL and Scout.com, the list of available LBs include:
Chris Claiborne, Earl Holmes, Rocky Calmus, Junior Seau, Orlando Ruff --ILB
Peter Boulware, Quinton Caver, Greg Favors, DeLawrence Grant, Nick Rogers --OLB
If you were the FO, whom, if any, would you call?

VJCPatriot said:
Well returning cast

Starters
Vrabel
Bruschi
Beisel
Colvin

Backups
TBC
Brown
Alexander
Chatham [Chatham plays for the Jets]
Izzo
Davis

New Faces
Roach
Mincey

That's nothing to panic about, but it gives you good reason to be concerned. Our current depth at LB is obviously nothing to be envy of. We are relying on too many inexperienced bodies (Tbc, Alexander, the rookies), while giving crucial PT to dubious players such as Beisel and Brown. Izzo and Davis will always be STers.

pats1 said:

Whose panicking? I'll never understand why legitimate discussion of a team's weaknesses equates with panic.

These little discusions are part of the progression of a new season. In October we'll be talking about something else, but for now, this is where we are.

Or we could all just sit around and blow smoke up our asses and talk about what a world beater Chad Brown is.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back