PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Line of Demarcation regarding quarterbacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsfaninpa

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Was going to do a mock. I'm bored. Shoppings done. Tree is up. If you look at the draft order. Most of the bottom 16 teams have qb issues. Save one or two. The top 16 are fine for the most part. Like the old saying goes. There are 2 types of teams in this league. Those who have qb's. And, those who don't(and should be trying to get one).

1. Carolina - No qb since Delhomme got old.
2. Denver - Orton is ok. Problem here was McDaniels other personnel moves.
3. Cincy - Some think C. Palmer toast. I don't think so.
4. Ariz - Awful qb play
5. Detroit - Can't keep their qb healthy. Stafford
6. Buffalo - Love ya Fitzy. But, have needed one since Bledsoe.
7. SF - Awful qb play
8. Dallas - One of few exceptions. Romo got hurt.
9. Washington - Benched McNabb for Grossman. Nuff said.
10. Houston - Another exception.
11. Minnesota - Post-Favre looks bleak.
12. Cleve - McCoy could be the guy. Too early to tell
13. Seattle - M. Hasslebeck getting old.
14. Tennessee - VY ain't cutting it.
15. Oakland - Gradkowski/Campbell both stink
16. Miami - C. Henne not the answer
-----------------------------------------------------------
17. SD - p. rivers
18. JAX - D. Garrard - Mediocre. Need to develop one though
19. tb - J. Freeman - Up and comer
20. GB - A. Rodgers - Very good
21. St. L - S. Bradford - wait until he gets some weapons
22. indy - He ain't bad
23. KC - Matt Cassel - Playing very well.
24. nyg - Eli Manning - Little Bro fine
25. no - D. Brees
26. chicago - J. Cutler - I don't see it. Some do though.
27. NYJ - Sanchize. we shall see
28. Balt - J. Flacco
29. Philly - M. Vick
30. pITT - Big Ben
31. Atlanta - Matty Ice
32. NE - TFB

I'll throw a 1-round mock plus 33rd in mock thread.

1. Carolina - New coach = New QB
4. Ariz - Need a QB to keep Fitzgerald happy
6. Buffalo - Hardest QB situation to read in this years draft
7. SF - Probably closest to being competitive with a competent QB
9. Washington - Tanking season now to position for draft. My darkhorse for Cam Newton
11. Minnesota - McNabb's next stop
13. Seattle - Jake Locker is the hometown boy
14. Tennessee
15. Oakland
16. Miami
18. JAX
These last 4 are wildcards. All painfully aware their QB situation won't get them where they want to go, but more likely to address other needs first.

So my prediction for QBs is:

1. Carolina - Luck
4. Ariz - Mallett (but would be great if they reach for the hometown Foles)
6. Buffalo - Not a QB
7. SF - Mallett if available, otherwise not a QB
9. Washington - Newton, because it would generate headlines and makes absolutely no sense
13. Seattle - Locker

Seeing 4 QBs go before the Pats pick would be sweet. It shouldn't happen but the tempation should be there.

Shouldn't happen. But, qb's always go before they should. Last year did I surprise me a little. I thought Clausen would go in the 1st. I also have a conspiracy theory for you. Elway trying to elbow himself into Denver front office. Could the Stanford alum angle that he can land them Habaugh/Luck. Denver has the 2nd pick if they don't win any more games. Very likely. I don't think Carolina wants to spend money on anything. Including the bonus Luck would warrant. Swap picks. Carolina gets both of Denver's 2nd rounders too. Denver can probably flip Tebow to get one of those 2nd rounders back. Jax??

Denver gets their franchise qb and coach. Takes the stench of the last 2 years away. Have a lot of work to do on defense. Orton allows you to bring Luck along a little slowly. Carolina saves $$$ their primary goal it seems, and gets the extra picks it needs to rebuild a sad-sack team. Clausen might even be their qb of the future.

Whoever gets Luck (either in the 2011 or 2012 draft) is getting the best NFL projected QB I have seen in the last several years.

The other side of the coin is whoever drafts Luck has to develop him.

A lot of QB's come out of college and get thrown to the wolves way too early and flame out.

And because Luck will be thrown to the wolves early, is why I think he should stay in school for another year, maybe two.

Whoever gets Luck (either in the 2011 or 2012 draft) is getting the best NFL projected QB I have seen in the last several years.

The other side of the coin is whoever drafts Luck has to develop him.

A lot of QB's come out of college and get thrown to the wolves way too early and flame out.

And because Luck will be thrown to the wolves early, is why I think he should stay in school for another year, maybe two.

Denver still has Kyle Orton for another year if my scenario played out. Draft Luck. Trade Tebow to get one of those seconds back. Carolina would have J. Claussen if they pick him. Cincy has Carson Palmer. He may not start for any of those 3 teams. But, after seeing what Sam Bradford did this year. That should ease some doubts about drafting young qb's. He only played a couple of quarters in his redshirt junior year, in a spread offense(not a pro-offense like Luck) and has exceeeded nearly everyones wildest dreams. Bradford doesn't possess the athletic skills of Luck either.

Denver still has Kyle Orton for another year if my scenario played out. Draft Luck. Trade Tebow to get one of those seconds back. Carolina would have J. Claussen if they pick him. Cincy has Carson Palmer. He may not start for any of those 3 teams. But, after seeing what Sam Bradford did this year. That should ease some doubts about drafting young qb's. He only played a couple of quarters in his redshirt junior year, in a spread offense(not a pro-offense like Luck) and has exceeeded nearly everyones wildest dreams. Bradford doesn't possess the athletic skills of Luck either.
It would be interesting to see if there would be anyone willing to spend a second on Tebow.

It would be interesting to see if there would be anyone willing to spend a second on Tebow.

Jacksonville was rumored to be interested. Can develop him behind Garrard and sell some tickets. That would be my guess. Washington if no qb 1st round? Miami?? Oops, Miami has no 2nd this year. B.Marshall trade. 2nd in 2012.

Jacksonville was rumored to be interested. Can develop him behind Garrard and sell some tickets. That would be my guess. Washington if no qb 1st round? Miami?? Oops, Miami has no 2nd this year. B.Marshall trade. 2nd in 2012.
Jax - does Del Rio still have a job after helping his team choke away control of the division?

Washington - Shanahan loves big armed gunslingers (Grossman, Cutler, McNabb), Tebow has a good arm, but I don't see Shanahan wanting the challenge of rebuilding a Tebow in his image.

Miami - Rumors abound to indicate Sporano is on the hot seat now that Parcells is gone, unless they are looking at Josh McDaniels behind the scenes, I don't see a new Head Coach wanting the controversy of trading for Tebow, despite the Florida fan base.

I see the QB needy teams, I just don't see the patience to develop a player of Tebow's caliber. Certainly not for a second round pick - I'm waiting for BB to offer a 5th and steal him from a rebuilding team under new management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots