Welcome to PatsFans.com

Limo liberals and their "comedy shows"

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Michael, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  2. Seymour93

Seymour93 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Thanks for reminding me... the Daily Show starts in 12 minutes. :cool:
  3. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Cool, you'll get your marching orders and talking points. I'll watch actual news.
  4. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Bitter much?
  5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +799 / 6 / -15

#87 Jersey

Is that a new beer? :snob:
  6. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

[​IMG]
  7. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

WTF does this even mean? You're under the brainwashed and ironic assumption that WE'RE the ones receiving marching orders? From comedy shows, no less?

Newsflash: Those shows satire your dumbass president and his corrupt handlers. They earned it.
  8. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

PC, you're forgetting he voted for Kerry in 2004 and Nader in 2006:rolleyes:

He might be the most confused person in America:rofl::rofl:
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +243 / 9 / -26

The Republican view is that you cannot laugh at a political figure, even though they are the most comical...
  10. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +393 / 6 / -9

I remember Fox tried to do a political humor show, and it just wasn't funny. I don't know whether their writers just sucked, or whether there's a problem with doing good right-wing political humor.

The problem is that a lot of political humor derives from skewering hypocrisy, which you can do to many politicians on either side, but there's also the underlying ideology. We'll even say "as popularly imagined," just to do away with the "of course you like 'em, you're a lefty" charge.

The Left is the Left because it favors policies and issue stances derived (and I am putting this in as value neutral a way as possible) from the idea of helping all the people.

The Right is the Right because it favors policies and issue stances that (on the face of it) directly aid those who are most wealthy and powerful.

So, the Left can be attacked for the idea of redistribution of wealth. The Right can be attacked for the idea of further concentrating wealth. Since there is no objective middle of "This is exactly how much wealth should be concentrated," there is no objective right or wrong. The Right feels that in addition to it being fairer for people with a lot of money to keep it, it is actually better for those without much money and/or power. The Left feels that those without money and/or power should have more of it. They feel that is fairer, and that it is better for the country/economy if wealth is less concentrated.

Okay, so that's 1 paragraph to sum up the differences. You can get sidetracked on it if you want... as I said, I tried to keep it value neutral.

But here's the kicker: In comedy, it is always, ALWAYS fair game to go after the rich and powerful. People just love it, and always have. But kicking a guy when he is down (in this context, by virtue of money/power or lack thereof) is considered just cruel.

I think that (combined w/the humor value of hypocrisy) is why the Right's old reliable target is the "Limosine Liberal." But the thing is, there are only so many "Limosine Liberals." It's easier to get a laugh out of the monopoly guy with the tophat and the monacle, than out of the opposite stereotype, say, the "system-gamer" stereotype the Right Wing use to go after -- you know, the welfare mother who, after all, is in most cases in pretty dire straits to start with. That's more the stuff of sketch comedy, and even when you do that, you have to use it sparingly and balance it somehow. There are just too many good people who need the sorts of social supports that type of humor goes after.

I'm sure this will be roundly attacked as a biased analysis, but I think this is how the population at large views the political left and the political right. I also think it is accurate, but that's beside the point. What's in point is what audiences will laugh at, and therefore, what they believe (across large audience segments), about the political Left and the political Right.

PFnV
  11. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

No need to worry about "right-wing humor" at Fox. Rush Limbaugh more than makes up for them. Rush's parodies are dead-on, hit to the heart of the matter, and take no prisoners. All while being good-natured about it, not mean-spirited, as Al Franken and most/all left-wing "comedians" tend to be.

Jon Stewart is half funny-half downright disgusting. And he's only "funny" when he thinks he's winning.

Bill Maher is 100% disgusting. That guy is drowning in his own bile, sad to say. He hates religion so much I wouldn't be surprised if he went totally postal one day.

//
  12. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +243 / 9 / -26

Here is a clue, Rush Limbaugh does not like McCain and has not anointed the next republican candidate for the POTUS as promised..
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  13. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +393 / 6 / -9

Actually Maher turns me off as well. On occasion I find him funny, but it's getting less and less frequent. Then again, I use to watch "politically incorrect," and I don't know if it's even on anymore. Hald the time I'd think he was dead on, then the other half of the time I'd just groan.

It's interesting you bring up Rush and Franken, because Franken apparently just never made it in "talk radio land." (I don't have the Arbitron ratings, but my guess is that Franken is still a non-factor.)

I do know that Rush, whether you agree or not, seems to get a lot of listeners among independents, even a few dems, just a very broad appeal -- a lot like Stewart and Colbert on the Left. I don't think the Left ever made it on the talk radio side, but do very well on the television side. The Stewart/Colbert phenomenon seems to be what the Left was trying to do on radio, but could not. Maybe it's because Stewart just took a c-rate TV show (when it was bland and inoffensive to everyone,) and turned it into a vehicle for his own comedy, which is (again, to take the objective popular reaction as one's basic measuring stick,) superb.

Perhaps it's as simple as whether the personality is good for the medium. A Fox "me-too" show couldn't make it, and a "me-too" Leftist version of Rush couldn't make it. Were Stewart to land a radio job instead of his gig on Comedy Central, I wonder whether he'd succeed. In other words - if you have a talented comic and you're not trying to be the "anti-Rush" or the "anti-Stewart," it makes sense you'd have more success, because you're just being yourself.

Or, perhaps there's something about television that favors the Left and radio which favors the Right. Who knows.

PFnV
  14. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

You don't say!!! Got your Sherlock Holmes hat on today!

But, hey, wasn't this thread about "comedy shows"???? Oh, yeah, that's right!!

:rolleyes:

//
  15. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Maher's "Politically Incorrect" (total misnomer, unless viewed from conservative politics) disappeared soon after 9/11 when he said: "I admire those hijackers more than George Bush -- they actually sacrificed their own lives!" Apparently a lot of people thought the sacrifice of 4000 other lives, New York's most famous land-marks, and $2 Trillion in lost economy were more important to most people than Bill Maher's odious opinions.

//
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  16. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +393 / 6 / -9

Yeah, but did Jerry Falwell lose his show for saying 9/11 was "God's judgment on America?"
  17. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

You're comparing a religious show to a comedy show? I guess Falwell and Jeremia Wright have some similar beliefs. Wackos.
  18. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +393 / 6 / -9

Wait, Falwell's show wasn't a comedy? Okay you're scaring me now...
  19. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

You may have a point. I've never seen his show.
  20. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Didn't know Falwell had a show.

Anyhow, Falwell has paid his price. We all do. Even Maher, and he's going to be in for a shock.

//