Welcome to PatsFans.com

Limbaugh: Pied Piper of the New Conservative movement

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by JMarr, Mar 4, 2009.

1. JMarr

JMarr In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0

What the GOP is doing with Limbaugh would the equivalent of the Democrats pow-wowing with Ralph Nader in search of Party direction. In other words, suicide. What a hoot these neocons are. William Buckley must be rolling in his grave.

Criticizing Rush Limbaugh: Over the Line? - TIME

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs crept up to that line — even put his toe over it — as he tried to capitalize on the anti–Barack Obama declarations of talk-show behemoth Rush Limbaugh. In January, and again at a recent gathering of conservatives in Washington, Limbaugh pointedly declared that he hopes for the failure of Obama's economic proposals. (See 25 people to blame for the financial crisis.)

2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +676 / 7 / -2

I read up a little more on this the last couple of days, even though I'm no fan of Limbaugh. This is a slippery slope for the admin, or the people who advise it, to take, cuz Limbaugh has no rules attached to what he can say, while the admin does. This country is dumbed down to the point of zombification, and someone like Limbaugh, who can more freely incite the mob mentality, is a dangerous person to pick a fight with. Just like screaming change and hope can get you elected, similar simplicities from teh opposition can easily tear you down. It's dangerous road to travel.

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +527 / 14 / -28

It will make great theatre, a black comedy of epic proportions..or perhaps a theater of the absurd..

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  4. JMarr

Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0

How do you "pick a fight" with someone like Limbaugh? It's like picking a fight with Mr. T after he's already put you his sh*t list.

I agree that the administration's calling him out lowers them to his level somewhat and gives him more love from far-right types than he already has.
    The key term here is "far-right," as in out-of-the-mainstream. Limbaugh is doing far more damage than good to the conservative cause IMO and the administration knows this. Look at what the Palin and Jindal fiascos have done for the GOP. Limbaugh always was their most vocal backer.

5. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

:agree: and I think it's interesting how Obama and Emanuel both spoke out directly about RL. JMO but it seems odd that a presidency would get involved in barb-trading to begin with.

I think they're baiting him, hoping RL will get so riled up he'll say something incredibly stupid and/or maybe even treasonous, then they can lock him up. And/or they're hoping the American people who follow RL will unite and riot or whatever, bringing about the exact same result. Who knows, but I don't think the admin's barb-trading participation is due to stupidity or a lack of foresight; Obama and Co may be many things but stupid isn't one of them. JMO but I think they're hoping to create more backlash.:confused2:

6. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,772 / 12 / -17

#75 Jersey

I agree with you on the 'who is at liberty to say what' issue. It is EXACTLY for that reason that Limbaugh is at a disadvantage here. He has no parameters - - he can freely speak whatever is on his mind at will.

The administration (mainly, Emmanuel) are pretty sharp poker players and they seem to know exactly what they are doing here. Notice, from everything Gibbs and Emmanuel have been saying that the real "newsy" fights that have been ensuing have been between Limbuagh-Gringely and Limbaugh-Steele and Limbaugh-RNC, etc. They keep poking the bear and the bear gets angry and eats his own children.

I'm not even sure Limbaugh is rooting for the Republicans now. He seems to be purposely distancing himself and calling for a third party to rise. This, of course, is being watched with glee by the Democrats. The poor Republicans seem to be the pedestrian in the crosswalk on this one.

7. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Divide and conquer. Good post shmess.

8. shmessy

Ratings:
    +1,772 / 12 / -17

#75 Jersey

Here ya go. Everything you ever wanted to know about Obama's triangulation strategy regarding Limbaugh from Jonathan Martin of Politico.com:

Rush Job: Inside Dems' Limbaugh plan - Jonathan Martin - POLITICO.com

".......Soon it clicked: Democrats realized they could roll out a new GOP bogeyman for the post-Bush era by turning to an old one in Limbaugh, a polarizing figure since he rose to prominence in the 1990s.

Limbaugh is embracing the line of attack, suggesting a certain symbiosis between him and his political adversaries.

"The administration is enabling me,” he wrote in an e-mail to POLITICO. “They are expanding my profile, expanding my audience and expanding my influence. An ever larger number of people are now being exposed to the antidote to Obamaism: conservatism, as articulated by me. An ever larger number of people are now exposed to substantive warnings, analysis and criticism of Obama's policies and intentions, a ‘story’ I own because the [mainstream media] is largely the Obama Press Office.”

The bigger, the better, agreed Carville. “It’s great for us, great for him, great for the press,” he said of Limbaugh. “The only people he’s not good for are the actual Republicans in Congress..........”

As I said, the Republicans are the pedestrian in the crosswalk about to be run over by the laughing hyena Democrats and Limbaugh's out-of-control ego. It's a fascinating psychological case study.

9. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

"Operation Rushbo" :D

10. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +309 / 9 / -12

BO picking a fight with Limbaugh is right out of Rules for Radicals #14 IIRC.

Sorry #13

11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +829 / 2 / -9

I have been "observing" and my observation brings me to this conclusion:

Rush Limbaugh scares the Sh1t out of the Left Wing Liberal Democrats because Rush Limbaugh goes on the air every day and tell's "MILLIONS" of people all the things that the Left Wing Liberal Democrats don't want those "MILLIONS of people to hear.

Sarah Palin did the same thing, The Liberal Left Wing Democrat Media the kind and caring preservers of the Constitution and champions of "Freedom Of Speech" CRUCIFIED HER AND HER FAMILY, she also terrified the Dingobats.

Limbaugh is here to stay, protected by our constitution.

Sarah will be back...................:singing:

PRESIDENT OBOOMA
    GET OUT OF IRAQ
    GETOUT OF GITMO
    YOU SAID YOU WOULD

WHERE DID THE ANTI WAR DEMOCRATS GO..........:confused:
    CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN

12. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Bingo. Actually that's a genius concept, and something we've been doing for years all over the world in order to create conflict when we want it.

13. JMarr

Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0

Oh we're all still here Harry Boy.

And Rush, please please for the sake of this country don't ever go away. Without you, your millions of listeners would have to start thinking for themselves more and might bolster a revival of conservatism. God bless the 1st Amendment.

14. Real World

Ratings:
    +676 / 7 / -2

When you take him on publically, and openly, you are picking a fight, or certainly getting involved in one.

Again, Limbaugh gets paid handsomely to stir the pot. He's a professional at spin, and inciting public emotions. The far right is his base, and meal ticket, but in a discourse like this, between he, and the US presidential administration, people other than the far right, or his subscribers, are going to be pushed to pay attention. I don't listen to Limbaugh at all, save for the 1 time a month I might change the radio station in my car cuz of commercials, and listen for 5 minutes. However, if this becomes mainstream, more people who fall into my category (people who don't care for him or listen), may feel compelled to. All I am saying is that it's a dangerous game to play, cuz Limbaugh isn't stupid, is a spin master extreme, and can incite the mob more easily than can the White House. When times are tough, and the gubmit is tossing cash around like Pacman Jones in a strip joint, getting into a public tussle with someone like Rush is risky.

15. shmessy

Ratings:
    +1,772 / 12 / -17

#75 Jersey

"Rules of Radicals"??????

Lee Atwater says hello (see: Horton, Willie)

No to mention the Rule #13 that was used to almost-perfection by the folks publicizing Jeremiah Wright, Aunt Zeituni, Ayers, etc.

Bullies always cry the hardest of anyone when the tables turn and THEY are being smacked around. Enjoy swallowing your own medicine.

16. Real World

Ratings:
    +676 / 7 / -2

Before the game starts, everyone thinks the game plan, or strategy they set up, is a winning one. Afterall, it's why they're implementing it. The fact that certain people think their plan is terrific, smaht, or a winning one, is human nature. I have no clue who will come out on top in this potential battle. My only point is that it's a very dangerous road to travel. The battle is always aimed at winning the people in the middle. The risks here are alienation of those individuals. For example, if Obama raises taxes, bloats the budget, implements unpopular policies, etc. then he gives a spinster like Limbaugh the ability (cuz he's made the middle take notice of him) to turn public support agaist him (BO). Why involve yourself in something like that?

17. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +829 / 2 / -9

Uncle Jeremiah, Aunt Zucchini, Ayers, and Poor Little Willie Horton, great people, salt of the earth, imagine if GW Bush had them for friends and realations..............:singing::singing:

I WONDER WHAT JON STEWART, MSNBC & THE NY TIMES WOULD HAVE DONE TO DICK CHENEY IF HIS AUNT WAS AN ILLEGAL ALIEN, IF HE HAD A BROTHER WHO LIVED IN A GRASS HUT ANOTHER BROTHER NAMED "GEORGE" WHO USES A BONG, IF HE WENT TO THE SAME CHURCH FOR TWENTY YEARS BUT DIDN'T LISTEN TO THE PREACHER AND IF HE WOULDN'T SHOW THE COUNTRY HIS BIRTH CERTIFICATE.

BUSH HAD A DUI AND THEY YAPPED ABOUT IT FOR 9 YEARS............:eek:

18. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

did i mention Limbaugh looks extra fat these days?

he was about the keel over at CPAC if he got any more demonstrative with his fascist gyrations...

19. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +829 / 2 / -9

I know but they seem awful quiet now.

20. shmessy

Ratings:
    +1,772 / 12 / -17

#75 Jersey

Harry, thank you for proving my point on exactly WHO wrote that RULE #13 that Patsfan13 alluded to! ;)