Welcome to PatsFans.com

Limbaugh on the hook for voter fraud?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Mar 22, 2008.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

First thing springs to mind: Would that be federal time, or state time, if Piggie got convicted?

Will Rush Limbaugh Be Indicted for Voter Fraud?

As Ohio election officials investigate illegal crossover voting in the 2008 primary, questions arise on Limbaugh's role.
    By Steven Rosenfeld, AlterNet. Posted March 21, 2008.

As the board of election in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, where Cleveland is located, launches an investigation into illegal crossover voting in the state's 2008 presidential primary, a big open question remains unanswered: Will county officials go after the ringleaders of apparently illegal electioneering where thousands of Republican voters swore -- under penalty of law -- allegiance to the Democratic Party in order to vote for Hillary Clinton?

In case you missed it, Rush Limbaugh, the nation's top-rated talk radio host, was urging Republicans in Texas and Ohio to skip their party's primary on March 4 and instead cast a vote for Hillary Clinton in order to prolong the fight between her and Barack Obama. And that Tuesday, as media in both states reported, thousands of Republicans did just what Limbaugh and others had suggested -- they changed parties to vote for Clinton.

"I want Hillary to stay in this, Laura," Limbaugh told Laura Ingraham on Feb. 29, near the start of his Hillary crusade. "This is too good a soap opera. We need Barack Obama bloodied up politically, and it's obvious that the Republicans are not going to do it and don't have the stomach for it, as you probably know."

<snip> ...

While this all makes for great talk radio and sounds like fun, there is one catch: What Limbaugh encouraged Republican voters to do in Ohio was a fifth-degree felony in that state, punishable with a $2,500 fine and six to 12 months in jail. That is because in order to change party affiliation in Ohio, voters have to fill out a form swearing allegiance to that party's principles "under penalty of election falsification." On Thursday, March 20, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported that the "Cuyahoga County Board of Election has launched an investigation that could lead to criminal charges against voters who maliciously switched parties for the March 4 presidential primary." According to the report, "One voter scribbled the following addendum to his pledge as a new Democrat: "For one day only."

"Such an admission amounts to voter fraud," the report continued, attributing that conclusion to BOE member Sandy McNair, a Democrat. The report said the four-member board -- two Democrats and two Republicans -- had yet to vote on whether it would issue subpoenas, although Ohio's secretary of state, Democrat Jennifer Brunner, is empowered to cast tie-breaking votes when the BOE is deadlocked.
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +291 / 10 / -26

Rest assured that this draft dodger, drug addicted pill popper will never face any legal scrutiny... the right has let him become so powerful, he has openly said he will "anoint" the next republican presidential candidate.
  3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Such a sanctimonious one, that Rushie. Of course, the nice legal cushion the GOP would trot out for Rush would make a case like this tough to prosecute.

Meanwhile, the Bush League has their US Attorneys venture to the ends of the Earth to chase "voter fraud" allegations, or get fired.

Yeah, we get it... Different when you do it. :rolleyes:
  4. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

If anyone tries to make hay out of this, it will be a fine storm. Lots of names will be added to the list, lots of other charges will be made, rancor will grow, sides will be even more divided ... whooopie! :(

It'll be like the Weathermen coming to town all over again.

//
  5. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +291 / 10 / -26

What names do you think will be added?? Sure you have a whole idea of whom... without regard I get all the news I need from the weather report..
  6. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

And because of your perceived unpleasant rift to come in it's wake, do you feel Rush and Ohio voters should get away with it if it's true? Please elaborate.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  7. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Karma, baby, karma. Do you think Rush and Company will just lie down?? Do you not know he will find the times similar tactics were used by Dems in the past; he will bring up Chicago's record of counting votes from people dead for 20 years; the backlash from such a childish squeal will be much worse in the end for those wishing to make a stink about Rush.

//
  8. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +291 / 10 / -26

Did you ever hear of statute of limitations???
  9. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Not in the court of public opinion!!!

SHAZAMMMM!!

:singing:

//
  10. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Fog, first. Please don't ever call me "baby" again. It's creepy.

Second, you're not answering the question. It's a question of principle, which you're further showing your negotiable set of.

I'll ask you again: Should voter fraud be held accountable in this case, or should it not? Let's pretend you got 10-15 of your most hated Dems also punished, I'm still asking you a direct question: Is is OK what Rush said, repeatedly, to his listeners about breaking a state oath?
  11. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

"Baby", yeah, I've never used it before. Only for you, PC. I must be thinking of too many movies or Dick Vitale commentaries. Promise: no more "baby". Baby.

:rofl:

-------------

Anyway, should Rush go to the slammer?? If he breaks laws, of course he should go, just as every other person should be held to the same standard of law.

Now, as to the fall-out from such a jailing..... ???

Try it and find out!! Harry's prediction of riots in the streets might move a mile closer to reality, if Rush gets hanged. Personally, I HATE riots.

//
  12. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Did PC actually post "swear allegience to the democrat party"?

And no one says anything about that? I swear allegience to the USA.

Never to a party.
  13. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Any opinions of Rush's quotes to his listeners regarding the breeching of state law?
  14. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Nope. I could care less about it.

People should be able to vote for who they want to vote for. If you restrict that, you're disenfranchising people.
  15. PatsFanInMaine

PatsFanInMaine Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

First and foremost you must actually find a person who voted in a malicious manner. I highly doubt that any court is going to violate the most basic right to privacy by requiring a person to reveal who they voted for while they were inside the closed privacy of a voting booth. That’s a paramount issue in this case because the argument is that those who switched party affiliation did so for the expressed purpose of casting a vote for Hillary Clinton. With all the accusations of voter fraud that have been made in the last couple of elections nothing has come of it based on important principal. No one could actually find a person who showed up to legally vote and was denied permission to do so. The issue is the same here, without an actual person to appear in court the case goes nowhere.
  16. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

I'll skeptically assume you'd be OK, then, if Al Franken or Randi Rhodes did the exact same, and told Dem voters to register Republican and stuff the ballots with Huckabee votes?
  17. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Don't worry, I won't release the hidden photos of you voting seven times for Huckabee. Your secret is good. But, man, you sure put a LOT of mileage on your car doing it!!! Are you sure that's the "green" thing to do?!!

//
  18. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Not that I ever listen to either of them, but I assume they have. I know people here in NH who are libs that switched to vote for McCain in 2000. I don't really like the idea of democrats picking our nominee, but what can you do? People still get to vote how they want.

Would you be upset by your scenario?
  19. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

How would Rush be in any trouble? He didn't commit voter fraud, therefore he couldn't be charged with anything. He was exercising his 1st Amendment right to free spech. Silly to think HE would be in any trouble, if anyone it would be the voters (although I'm guessing they'd have a pretty good case about the constitutionality of getting in trouble for what they did).
  20. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +450 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Like Stokes said, no-one is in trouble but if anyone were it would be the voter not Rush. Of course the Libs always think it's someone else's fault :rolleyes: