PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Light without Graham

aabtec

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I wonder how Matt Light will do without Graham helping him out. I wonder if we will need to have Watson stay on the line to block.

I think the idea that Graham was a security blanket for Light was severely overrated.
I never saw the Pats do anything unusual to give help to Light. I think their blocking schemes the last 6 years wouldhave been no different with anyone else at TE or LT.

Kyle Brady is actually a better blocking TE than Dan Graham....Just because Dan did well on our team does not put him at the top,Kyle is and has been at the top in blocking TEs in the league for awhile-thats a fact,Ask Gerrard and Leftwich how much they will miss him protecting thier behind - Graham is a close second,The only thing is the age factor but Kyle looks to be in top condition for what I hear.

I think the idea that Graham was a security blanket for Light was severely overrated.
I never saw the Pats do anything unusual to give help to Light. I think their blocking schemes the last 6 years wouldhave been no different with anyone else at TE or LT.

Light got almost NO help in the play-offs against Freeney, Merriman and Phillips. How many sacks did those 3 get? I keep forgetting? If you said ZERO, you win a GOLD STAR....

Light played very well against those 3. Especially when you consider that he was just getting fully healthy when the play-offs hit.

K.Brady is bigger as a tight end than Hannah was as a guard, he is a great blocker for the podition

Right - there were a lot of seasons with injury in which having Graham as an extra lineman was a necessity- not that Graham was a static blocker by any stretch of the imagination.

A blocking TE is a bit different than just another lineman.

My feeling was that the lack of credible receivers last year put added pressure on the line as well requiring that Graham serve less as a pass blocker but more as a run blocker - which of course he did exceptionally well.

No one ever questioned that Graham was a valuable contributor here - just not one that we needed to secure with a contract such as the one he got from Denver.

I think there will be extra pressure to have Graham catch a lot of passess in Denver given his salary - but that the team would be making a mistake if it lets salary dictate how he's used.

I wonder how Matt Light will do without Graham helping him out. I wonder if we will need to have Watson stay on the line to block.

Make no mistake about it, Watson is a receiving tight end first and foremost.

Stupid question time.

If a guy like Kyle Brady is played primarily as a "blocking tight end", very rarely catching balls (5 in 14 starts last season) wouldn't we be better off just playing another tackle at TE?

Stupid question time.

If a guy like Kyle Brady is played primarily as a "blocking tight end", very rarely catching balls (5 in 14 starts last season) wouldn't we be better off just playing another tackle at TE?
you would think but Kyle will also run a few routes too keep the defense honest - look for his total to increase this year with a real QB tossing the rock at him

you would think but Kyle will also run a few routes too keep the defense honest - look for his total to increase this year with a real QB tossing the rock at him

Exactly. If we put a guard there they would just add another lineman. I believe in our system Brady should have a lot more receiving yards than he was getting at JAX.

Right. With Brady there at least there is the threat of him releasing into a route. I think he'll have a few catches this year and maybe one or two touchdowns.

Last edited:

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back