PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Light on IR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Reiss blog , just had it... No Matt Light for the playoffs...

Good. I'd rather have a relatively healthy and comfortable Kaczur in there instead of a rushed Light who hasn't played since week 3.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

December 21, 2005
Light to IR
Posted By: mreiss | Time: 08:15:59 PM

The Patriots placed offensive tackle Matt Light on injured reserve today, ending his season.

The team, when called by the Boston Globe's Nick Cafardo, confirmed the move tonight.

Earlier in the day, coach Bill Belichick said it would be a "longshot" for Light to return this season. The 6-foot-4, 305 pound left tackle broke his fubula Sept. 25 against the Steelers. He had a second surgical procedure (blood pooling) in late November, which set his rehabiliation back.

Light spoke with the Globe in Wednesday's editions, saying that rehab is a challenge.

Light started the first three games of the season at left tackle. Rookie Nick Kaczur stepped in to start the next nine games. With Kaczur sidelined by a shoulder injury the last two games, career right tackle Tom Ashworth started on the left side.

Kaczur was removed from the Patriots' injury report today. His return to health gives the Patriots options:

1) Insert Kaczur at left tackle, keep Brandon Gorin at right tackle and make Tom Ashworth the swing tackle.

2) Make Kaczur the swing tackle and keep Ashworth at left tackle and Gorin at right tackle.

3) Make Kaczur the left tackle, Ashworth the right tackle, and have Gorin the third man in. If Gorin comes in, Ashworth could move to left tackle.

Gorin has started the last six games at right tackle.

The Patriots now have 52 players on their roster. Whether they fill their final spot could be contingent on finances, as the team is tight to the salary cap.

Oh, wow.

Didn't expect that, but as pats1 says, he hasn't played since week 3. He would no doubt be totally rusty and have all sorts of timing issues.

Clearing the deck for the playoff battler, same as last year.

We have solid depth at OT now so it's not a big deal. We should be in good shape next year with Light, Kaczur and Gorin signed. Maybe Ashworth will join them or maybe not.

This is too bad but not at all unexpected. Besides, Matt has been out all year. We've adapted.

Then there was one

With the placing of Light on IR, the Injured Reserve goes to 10 tieing the Jets for most in the League.

But...

The Injury List decreases to a single player.

Tom Brady - Probable - Shoulder

Now to STAY healthy for the playoffs...

The team continues to amaze me. We lose two of our best offensive linemen, two rookies are starting (two rooks and a backup at center) and Brady still has one of his best years. Everyone on the outside (national media) has been so focused on our defensive injuries they haven't even noticed our offensive line. Our coaching staff is second to no one.

Light's one a the loafers now

scout said:
The team continues to amaze me. We lose two of our best offensive linemen, two rookies are starting (two rooks and a backup at center) and Brady still has one of his best years. Everyone on the outside (national media) has been so focused on our defensive injuries they haven't even noticed our offensive line. Our coaching staff is second to no one.

....and our medical/training staff is ahead of no one. "Blood pooling" from a broken leg? Gimme a break. My guess is his training regimen was too harsh and the leg got screwed up. This kind of thing is happening too regularly with the Patriots.

Q: How does a Patriot suffer a 3 month layoff?
A: Incur a 1 month injury and get the notorious Patriot medical/training staff "treatment".

This very thing happened with Ty Law last year. It happened with Randall Gay this year. This is just plain incompetence.

well something's happening

shmessy said:
....and our medical/training staff is ahead of no one. "Blood pooling" from a broken leg? Gimme a break. My guess is his training regimen was too harsh and the leg got screwed up. This kind of thing is happening too regularly with the Patriots.

A: Incur a 1 month injury and get the notorious Patriot medical/training staff "treatment".

This very thing happened with Ty Law last year. It happened with Randall Gay this year. This is just plain incompetence.
shmessy, i had not thought about this before. i don't know who within the organization has the rocks to bring it up to BB or SP, tho.
to me, expecting a 300-lb tackle to come back from a broken leg and make elite-athlete moves in 8 weeks is preposterous. but they do it.
but Ty law and Randall Gay, that makes it a trend. maybe you (we) can get one of the boston-area media weenies to take it on.

I don't understand the rationale for this move unless there is absolutely no chance he'd be able to help anytime in the next month. If they aren't going to pick up another player then why bother to put Light on IR ? What do they have to lose having him continue to rehab ?

I know it is improbable, but suppose one or two of Kaczur, Gorin or Ashworth get injured sometime in the next two games, or worse - during the playoffs. Wouldn't a rusty Matt Light be better than some street FA ? Why not at least keep that option open (at no cost)

Lamanai said:
I don't understand the rationale for this move unless there is absolutely no chance he'd be able to help anytime in the next month. If they aren't going to pick up another player then why bother to put Light on IR ?
just oukt of curiousity, how do youk know they aren't going tok pick up another player before the playoffs?

shmessy said:

Most teams would have just IRed all three right off the bat, the Patriots attempt to rehab if there's even an outside chance the player could be back to contribute. This strategy has worked for them in the past, but it is certainly no sure thing. But if a few people in that position come back, even though the rest do not, what is lost? Nothing. You are still better off than you would have been.

So where's the problem?

ilduce06410 said:
shmessy, i had not thought about this before. i don't know who within the organization has the rocks to bring it up to BB or SP, tho.
.... Ty law and Randall Gay, that makes it a trend. maybe you (we) can get one of the boston-area media weenies to take it on.

1. YOU just did, duke (them too)!

2. Shmessy comes off sounding like a curmudgeon ... but a correct curmudgeon.

3. What you said, Scout.

shmessy said:

Sorry, Shmessy, I have to disagree on this one. Ted Washington broke his leg and was back before the playoffs and Vrabes broke his arm and made 3 sacks on his first day back. Kevin Faulk is looking good after breaking a bone in his foot. Yes, a lot of injuries this year went to IR, but a lot are back for the playoffs and weren't rushed back before their time.

Without specific knowledge of the actual injury and the training regimen, which is not only secret but also confidential to the patient, we're only speculating.

To call it "just plain incompetence" is as inaccurate as anything I'd hear from, dare I say it, Ron Borges.

ilduce06410 said:
to me, expecting a 300-lb tackle to come back from a broken leg and make elite-athlete moves in 8 weeks is preposterous. but they do it.
but Ty law and Randall Gay, that makes it a trend. maybe you (we) can get one of the boston-area media weenies to take it on.

Light broke the leg in Pittsburgh on September 25th. Therefore, to make it back, let's say for the 2nd Round on Jan 15 or 16, it would be 15 weeks. 15 weeks is plenty of time (if treated right) for a broken fibula to heal.

The "blood pooling" points to some unecessary stress occuring during the rehab.

Randall Gay was IR'd midway through the season with a severe "high ankle sprain" AFTER coming back too soon. Who cleared him for that? Was the game he entered in the middle of the season a critical game?

Look, I'm no medical expert, if someone is, please weigh in. It would be interesting to know whether this was just a screw up. I know for a fact that Ty Law was ready to sue the Patriots medical staff for what occurred last year. He and his agents mentioned it several times in the offseason. I'm not sure if there was some settlement. Perhaps someone can help out on that one also.

PatsFan37 said:
Sorry, Shmessy, I have to disagree on this one. Ted Washington broke his leg and was back before the playoffs and Vrabes broke his arm and made 3 sacks on his first day back. Kevin Faulk is looking good after breaking a bone in his foot. Yes, a lot of injuries this year went to IR, but a lot are back for the playoffs and weren't rushed back before their time.

Without specific knowledge of the actual injury and the training regimen, which is not only secret but also confidential to the patient, we're only speculating.

To call it "just plain incompetence" is as inaccurate as anything I'd hear from, dare I say it, Ron Borges.

Good points, but can you explain why the Patriots have led the NFL in games lost to injury 3 years in a row?

Where there is smoke there is fire. 1 year is too bad. 2 years in a row is strange. 3 years in a row is NO coincidence.

ilduce06410 said:

This is a great point! Ted Washington came back from a broken leg in 2003 and that was one BIG bone that had to heal!

Does BB have say over the medical staff? He is always telling us he is not a doctor.....

shmessy said:
Good points, but can you explain why the Patriots have led the NFL in games lost to injury 3 years in a row?

Where there is smoke there is fire. 1 year is too bad. 2 years in a row is strange. 3 years in a row is NO coincidence.
I don't think it's all that complicated. Extra games, shorter offseason for recovery, a physical brand of football, and opponents bringing their best game.

And add this: the Patriots play with smallish DBs yet demand from them big hits. Asante lowers his shoulder on a tight end and goes out with a shoulder injury (last year). We've seen Eugene Wilson's hits. Ellis Hobbs is a small guy but he can lay the lumber. Rodney set the standard. And look at Artrell Hawkins, at 5-10 190 he plugs the gap in a goal line stand and stops Cadillac for no gain. A small corner converted to strong safety.

And we've got Brady running QB sneaks with a bum leg. You know that sets the standard for everyone else.

Remember how we complained that Starks didn't want to play press coverage. He's the lone exception and it turns out he was injured from the get go.

When small guys hit big guys that hard, guess what: 6 DBs on IR. It really isn't that complicated.

I agree with you that something went wrong with Light's recovery. I'm just as glad that nothing went wrong with Seymour's or Faulk's or Dillon's or Graham's or Kaczur's. Sometimes sh.. happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back