Welcome to PatsFans.com

Life in a FEMA trailer in Waveland, Miss...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Mar 26, 2006.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +828 / 27 / -33

Short article about recovering from Katrina in a place outside of NOLA, a very difficult time for this working family...and still a long way to go...

Tight Squeeze: Life Inside FEMA Trailer

By MICHAEL KUNZELMAN
    Associated Press Writer
    WAVELAND, Miss. (AP) -- Gus McKay slides out of bed at dawn, tiptoes across his family's government-issued trailer and slips into the bathroom, slowly turning the doorknob so he doesn't wake his two teenage daughters in the adjoining room.

He has only a few minutes to shower and dress before staking out his customary spot next to the kitchen sink. That's the safest place to be when his wife and daughters squeeze past, scrambling to get ready for work and school.

Every morning is the same: The McKays wake up in shifts, rotate through the bathroom, bedroom and kitchen, take turns showering, primping, dressing and eating....

It will take $200,000 to fix everything. Their insurance company gave them only $27,000, and FEMA cut them a check for a mere $5,200, so they can't afford to fix everything right away. Not with monthly $1,500 mortgage payments to make.

2. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

And?

If that were me, I wouldnt be relying so heavily on government assistance month after month after month after month........

3. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Your reaction sums up the philosophical difference between us. I see people who benefit from government assistance (and who work), you see a drain on your taxes and your ability to provide for your family. BTW, for the record, I pay a total of 38% of my Ă‚Â£24660 salary (equivalent in spending power to somewhere between $35-40K) in taxes and health contributions- that includes sales taxes.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2006
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,150 / 5 / -10

Sounds like a home in the suburbs every morning, watch a Disney Movie, kids yelling, fighting to get into the bathroom, father trying to find "his space" the only thing missing in this little "poor me sob story" is the barking dog.
    Go up into the Ozark Mts and see how some of those people live, where the hell is Jimmy Carter and his Hammer, maybe Uncle Teddy could buy this guy a twenty room house on "Old Cape Cod" beside the "Kennedy Compound".

Poor daddy, he has to sit beside the sink, what did they do with the money?

They recieved $32,200.00, they could put a down payment of $20,000 down on a another home (two bathrooms) that would solve the problem of this poor soul having to rush through his shower, they would also have $12,000 left over to buy some furniture.

Those are brand new Mobile Homes there are people living in Maine that would die to own one of them.

5. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

It's tough to chalk this up to anything but an unfortunate, natural catastrophe. All of FEMA's failings notwithstanding, Katrina was a powerful act of nature, and at least these people have somewhere to live. I trully feel for them, their's is not a situation I would wish on anyone, but I don't think the government should be buying or building everyone who was displaced a new perm. home.

6. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

There are still people living in "trailers" in the Charlotte area of south/west Florida. These are people in the middle class income. That was from the hurricane, at least a year before Katrina. I don't think its too easy just to up and move. Compare that to Ford offering its' employees a $100,000 buyout. These people still have their homes, cars and personal belongings. That's much more then the government gave Hurricane Katrina victims, yet, most of these employees will not move. You don't have to feel sorry for people devastated from these hurricanes, just don't tell me its a typical home in the suburbs.

7. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,150 / 5 / -10

I never said it's a typical suburban home but the problems the guy is having sounds just like my house when my kids were growing up.

The whole country feels bad for these Katrina people, now, WHAT SHOULD WE DO?

8. Turd Furguson

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Pujo, you and I dont agree on much but on this point you have Bingo.

9. Turd Furguson

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What do Ford employees have to do with this?

Why are these people STILL sitting around waiting for someone to take care of them? Isnt that what got them in this situation in the first place?

10. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +828 / 27 / -33

Couple of questions:

The article says they are making mortgage payments of $1500 per month, what do they do about that??

They already have jobs in Mississippi, why do they want to move to Maine??

I did not get the feeling that these folk were whining or looking for a handout, it just talks about a typical family effected by this force of nature. They had a home, have a mortgage, have jobs....but the insurance did not cover their losses and they don't see a way out..it is a reality of the impact of this force of nature.

11. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,150 / 5 / -10

I didn't say they should move to Maine, I said there are people in Maine that would love to live in one of those trailers and take turns going to a brand new toilet.

They're going to have to pay rent where-ever they go. Insurance, if I lived near a river and couldn't get "flood insurance" I wouldn't live near a river.

New Orleans WILL flood again, you can bet on it, they live in a Bowl. The people are down there and the ocean is "up there" soon the ocean will go "down there" again, The democrats will blame the republicans :rocker:

12. Chevy

Chevy Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

Well, it looks like either they need a public insurance adjustor, or the writer is taking advantage of people's ignorance when it comes to how home owner's insurance pays off. The check goes from the insurance agency to you, you sign it, and then you send it to your mortgage company (who is co-beneficiary). They sign it, deposit it, and doll out payments to you as the work is being done.

13. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Let me spell this out for you. First, my comment referring to the Ford employees. These people are in a much better position then the victims of Katrina, but find it very difficult to up and move. Thus, for commentators to say they should just do something is very near-sighted. Secondly, your comment "why are these people STILL sitting around waiting for someone to take care of them", can be interpreted as racist. I go back to my statement that middle-class working people are still living in trailers from from Hurricane Charlie in Port Charlotte, that hurricane was 18 months ago. Now explain to me the difference between them and the people in Hurricane Katrina.

14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +828 / 27 / -33

They don't live in NOLA they live in Waveland,Miss. should they not live there also?? There is not blame here, just a family struggling after an act of nature...

15. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,150 / 5 / -10

Your right I didn't read it through, but I thought it was strange people would be complaining about sitting beside a sink or rushing in the shower, this guy is lucky he still has his family together, he is also lucky he has a sink to sit beside.
    He will make it.