PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

LieGate

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 15 yard penalty.

A 15-yard penalty is the minimum; if it had interfered with the Dolphins potentially scoring a TD (obviously not the case here), the ref can award the TD.

The Jets admitted it was ordered from within the organization? Care to provide a link?
Alosi is "within the organization".

Its a 5 yard penalty for intentionally running out of bounds on a punt/kickoff. Its not a penalty if you're blocked out of bounds, which he was.
Yes but if you're blocked out of bounds, you are obligated to get back in bounds immediately, not say "hey they knocked me out of bounds so now I can run all the way downfield before going back inbounds."

The Dolphins player ran 15 to 20 yards downfield while out of bounds and was making no effort at getting back inbounds prior to being tripped. That is a 15 yard personal foul (unsportsmanlike conduct). They had already had that exact same call made against them earlier in the game.

Last edited:
Yes but if you're blocked out of bounds, you are obligated to get back in bounds immediately, not say "hey they knocked me out of bounds so now I can run all the way downfield before going back inbounds."

The Dolphins player ran 15 to 20 yards downfield while out of bounds and was making no effort at getting back inbounds prior to being tripped. That is a 15 yard personal foul (unsportsmanlike conduct). They had already had that exact same call made against them earlier in the game.

No, you're not obligated to get back in immediately. You're obligated to TRY to get back in immediately. The Jets defender was running step for step with him.

He was pushed out of bounds at the 25 yard line, and Alosi tripped him at the 32. There was no 15-20 yards. When Alosi tripped him, he was moving back towards the field.

Last edited:

So complain to the ref about it. Don't take the law into your hands. And don't lie about it when you get caught.

move on? Just like everyone moved on from spygate that easily, at least that didn't cause physical harm

This would be extremely foolish now that the jets have admitted that the phalanx was ordered from within the organization.

Why must we swoop to their level? So what if people are still talking about spygate? It only affects you if you listen to it. The Patriots' goal is not to be America's Team. Our goal is to win the superbowl for our own fans. If you want to live in the past, it's your loss. For me, I'm enjoying every minute of the present and hopeful of the future. All these grudges are the cause of turmoil in the world.

Last edited:
The Jets admitted it was ordered from within the organization? Care to provide a link?

The story is in this thread:
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...8-ot-jets-suspend-sal-alosi-indefinitely.html

Why must we swoop to their level? So what if people are still talking about spygate? It only affects you if you listen to it. The Patriots' goal is not to be America's Team. Our goal is to win the superbowl for our own fans. If you want to live in the past, it's your loss. For me, I'm enjoying every minute of the present and hopeful of the future. All these grudges are the cause of turmoil in the world.

The only way I stoop to their level is if they trip me. I have every right to be outraged by this. They intended to cause injury, I find that reprehensible. Turn the other way if you don't like it, but I'm not going to stand by and watch.

Last edited:

Yeah, tell me that in 20 years when you're watching an NFL Films documentary about the dynasty and 20 minutes of it is dedicated to Spygate. Tell me that in 15 years when every article you read detailing Brady's HoF career include a note about the taping and how it may have tainted their SB wins. Tell me that when, over the course of the rest of your life, whenever people talk or write about the dynasty, or Belichick's career, or Brady's career, that Spygate is brought up.

It was a farce, it was an ESPN explosion, it was Goodell not knowing what he was doing, it was Specter being a jackass, it was Walsh seeking attention, it was media whores jumping all over themselves to be the first to report something new even if it was fabricated, and it was ALL disgusting and unnecessary. So sorry if some people around here get pissed off when a similar rules infraction--which is all the taping was if you look at all the evidence--gets treated like a non-story.

Last edited:
No, you're not obligated to get back in immediately. You're obligated to TRY to get back in immediately. The Jets defender was running step for step with him.
Yes, I thought it was clear that's what I meant. Obviously if you get blocked out of bounds, you have to try to get back in bounds. However, if the blocker still hits you while you are out of bounds, then that's a personal foul on him. The fact that the Jets defenders were running step by step with him is irrelevant. He's got to get his butt back onto the field of play. The Dolphins player doesn't get to say "Mr. Referee, the mean man was standing in my way step for step from getting back in bounds so I figured I would just go downfield all the way while out of bounds."
He was pushed out of bounds at the 25 yard line, and Alosi tripped him at the 32. There was no 15-20 yards. When Alosi tripped him, he was moving back towards the field.
I guess we're just not seeing the same thing. The Dolphins player was pushed out of bounds and was running downfield without making a significant effort to get back in bounds, which is illegal. Sorry, but I just don't consider gently angling your body back towards the field while still going downfield out of bounds as an effort to get back in.

Last edited:
I guess we're just not seeing the same thing. The Dolphins player was pushed out of bounds and was running downfield without making a significant effort to get back in bounds, which is illegal. Sorry, but I just don't consider gently angling your body back towards the field while still going downfield out of bounds as an effort to get back in.

He was tripped 4 yards from where he went out of bounds. At the 30 yard line, he is BEHIND Alosi. At the 32, he was infront of Alosi, and being tripped.

I don't know how moving more than 3 feet towards the field while moving 6 feet forward (while running at full speed) can be construed as "not making a signficicant effort to get back in bounds".

The only time he wasn't moving towards the field of play was after he had been tripped. Go back and watch the video.

Alosi is "within the organization".
They can stand where they want. There's no evidence that anyone ordered anyone to try to actually interfere with a play. Anyway, even interfering with a play wouldn't outrage me. That's an in-game penalty, perhaps a palpably unfair act that leads to a touchdown being awarded, but the game rules are equipped to deal with it. What went beyond the pale was that Alosi did something that risked injury to a player. He deserved to (and, IMO, did) get severely punished for that. If THAT behavior is encouraged by the organization, then we have a major scandal here. But I don't think we have a scintilla of proof of that here. The league screwing the Jets would not make me feel better about the league screwing the Pats during Spygate

Last edited:
He didn't say he ordered anything, he admitted to sticking his knee out. Now, if it turns out Ryan coaches something like that, then that would be a major issue and the Jets, as an organization, deserve to be severely punished. But right now we have one assistant who made one boneheaded move.

You need to update your information. I posted the link for you previously in this thread.

You need to update your information. I posted the link for you previously in this thread.

That thread says nowhere near what you say it does.

You're absolutely right, I wasn't aware that Alosi ordered the line. My opinion on it is above.

You're absolutely right, I wasn't aware that Alosi ordered the line. My opinion on it is above.
I find it implausible that a strength coach could order such a thing with out the permission of at least the special teams coach, and more likely the head coach.

And now the thread does say that. It didn't a minute ago.

Who the heck is Jenny Vrentas?

Imagine if Ryan was legally standing behind the line, but his big fat overhanging gut ended up tackling a player on the kickoff? One for the rule book.

And now the thread does say that. It didn't a minute ago.

Who the heck is Jenny Vrentas?

It was also in the news article at the top of the thread I linked. First line:

The New York Jets have suspended Sal Alosi indefinitely after the team got "new information" that the strength and conditioning coach "instructed" five players to stand in a wall before he tripped Dolphins player Nolan Carroll on Sunday.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye