Welcome to PatsFans.com

Lieberman doing his damnedest to keep Thought Crimes bill alive

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Jun 5, 2008.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Remember HR1955 that passed in the House back in October? Fortunately, it stalled in the senate... But this double-deferrment nazi wants to move the goalposts a bit.

Internet Attacked as Tool of Terror

Friday 30 May 2008
    by: Matt Renner, t r u t h o u t | Report

HR 1955, "The Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007" passed the House in October 2007 with almost unanimous support. The bill immediately came under fire from civil liberties watchdogs because of what many saw as a deliberate targeting of Muslims and Arabs and the possible chilling effect it might have on free speech.

The original bill intended to set up a government commission to investigate the supposed threat of domestically produced terrorists and the ideologies that underpin their radicalization. After significant public pressure, the bill stalled in the Senate. However, Senator Joe Lieberman (I-Connecticut), the current chairman of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, has embraced the thrust of the legislation and has been working to push forward some of the goals of the original bill, including an attempt to weed out terrorist propaganda from the Internet.

Jim Dempsey, vice president for public policy at the non-profit Center for Democracy and Technology has spoken out against the assault on Internet speech. "I have more concern about what Senator Lieberman is doing than about HR 1955. [Lieberman] is no friend of civil liberties," Dempsey told Truthout, adding "there is concern that what he has planned will be worse than HR 1955."

Dempsey spoke out in favor of the spirit of HR 1955, calling the outpouring of criticism "hypothetical and hyperbolic." In his view, the study of radicalization and home grown ideologically based violence is worthwhile. However, he objects to recent actions taken by Lieberman. On May 19, Lieberman sent a letter to Google Inc.'s CEO Eric Schmidt demanding that Google "immediately remove content produced by Islamist terrorist organizations from YouTube."​

Anyhow, no, it's not about the rights of radical muslims. It's a bill that was poorly worded, and could conveniently isolate and detain any voice of dissent as a "terrorist threat." It's really simple. The Bush era of intentionally vague legislation is no longer acceptible. YOu wanna protect Americans? Write your phucking bills accurately.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

The house is in dem hands, pubbies couldn't pass anything on their own, or even get a bill to a vote. Don't know anything about this piece of legislation howeer, just objecting to the bush league reference.
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +242 / 9 / -26

The dems did it is a very familiar refrain... and getting a tad nauseating..
  4. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Much like his Clinton deflections, PF13 is one of those postes who thinks he's "got us" when he attempts to make it a partisan issue. Unfortunately for his lame argument, it's been pointed out that they're two factions of the same corporate entity. We are in the era of the Bush League, of false fear alarms and unreasonable paranoia and a "jail everyone" mentality. Whether or not it was a bi-partisan initiative is irrelevant.
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +496 / 2 / -9

Bush league is on the way out

Barack Hussein Obama league coming up, four years of disgusting ball washing, adoration, slobbering, gushing, fawning, fainting, beautiful speeches and public orgasms by the millions.

Next Four Years:
    Taxes--War In Dafur, More Dead Troops, Taxes, Stay Out Of Tall Buildings, Only Fly If You Have To, Oprah & Whoopi move into the Lincoln Bedroom, servants in the White House will have to BOW whenever they see Princess Michelle.

Will Prince Barack Hussein Obama give Don Imus a Pardon----:singing:
  6. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Kind of like blaming everything on Bush? :rocker:
  7. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

HR1955 is a harmless piece of legislation, go read the text of it (it is available free online) and tell me where the danger is. Now, if something new is proposed, or there are new additions to it maybe those are worse, but the last time we did the HR1955 dance there was a whole lotta sizzle, not much steak (I'm sorry, I've been dying to use that one lately).
  8. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Your self-congratulatory emote aside, who's blaming everything on Bush? Do you even read what your debate opponents say? Bush couldn't plan anything more than a Yale frat party. There's plenty of blame to go around among his puppet masters. You're being disingenuous, ... again.
  9. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I understand what you offered as a reason for saying "Bush leaguers". I was replying to GJAJ, who said that blaming the democrats for everything was whatever he said.

Unless you're claiming you and GJAJ feel exactly the same way and have the same thoughts, I don't see what your issue is.
  10. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Come on... Don't pretend to differentiate now.

"The blame Bush crowd" is a mantra that you guys assign to the anti-imperialism movement as a whole quite often. Let's be honest here.

It's as lazy as suggesting we "hate the military."
  11. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Is it anywhere near as lazy as saying "mantra that you guys assign"?

Because, personally, I blame Democrats for things I see them not doing, not because of any greater plan.
  12. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Lazy? Unfounded? Do you think?

Use the search feature and type in "Get Bush" or "Blame Bush" or "Hate Bush", and tell me how infrequently your ideological allies here punt to that bit of rationalization.
  13. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I was only referring to your lumping me in like that. I do have some conservative leanings, certainly--but I've also had them since I was in second or third grade, and mostly I'm a libertarian. In fact, judging from some of your posts, you and I aren't that far apart in many of our views.
  14. Tedy54

Tedy54 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I thought you said that you were a librarian. :D

I am not very familiar with this thoughts crime bill. Exactly what is it?
  15. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

You and I are worlds apart in terms of geopolicial ideology.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  16. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

No, I had him as that. I don't believe I've ever said anything similar to that about you--at least not since we've stopped attacking each other simply because we're here.

And you know nothing of my ethics, honestly--and I don't know anything about yours.

I do know that on various civil liberty issues you and I are quite close. I know I've said that the Patriot Act is one of the things I'm angry with GWB about, and the other various little tricks they have in place now to monitor us for our own good.
    I know that even though we disagree on how long it will be, we both believe oil is and should be on it's way out.

There are other things, but I'm starting to get tired. Which is good I guess, since I haven't been able to sleep for about 4 days now.

But I'm not trying to say we're very alike, merely that on some issues we're not that far apart.

And even though I do disagree with a lot of what you say, I do respect your point of view.

So take that and a buck and you can get coffee.
    :D