Welcome to PatsFans.com

Libya Falling

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by scout, Aug 21, 2011.

1. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Breaking news: Rebels have captured two of Gaddafi's son's and have almost total control of Tripoli. The news person live on MSNBC was very nervous as all the journalist are holed up in the top floor of a hotel. They hung a white banner "TV" from the balcony so the rebels would not fire on them. That did not go over well with a Libyan soldier who was still at the hotel. Very tense, but looks like this regime might be over in less then a week.

2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +593 / 24 / -19

This is really great. Qadaffi was truly unbalanced. I'd put him up there with Kim Jong-Il as basically unstable. The people truly lived in terror. My Muslim friend from Morocco told me the story of going to Libya because he heard they needed painters. He said the experience was so creepy, with security everywhere and the streets desolate, that he took the first train back to Morocco. The question, though, we're all wondering is: What will the next group be like? Chances are a lot of them were raised in the Quadaffi era educational system.

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +824 / 27 / -33

As much as Quadaffi should go, it has always been my philosophy that it is better to know the dog the might bite you..

Many things can happen here, and there is the old fear of unintended consequences..

4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I had a dog that bit my daughter once...once. That dog never saw another day.

I got a new dog. He never bit anyone.

5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

...and hopefully for Michelle Bachman, the price of oil won't drop too much. She can't have the price of gas getting too close to $2.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  6. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +513 / 9 / -4

#75 Jersey

Oil is more likely to be 2 cents than she is to occupy the Oval Office.

7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

Libya is generally good news, but as some have mentioned, that tends to depend on who/what comes in to take his place. It's like Egypt. We were happy Mubarak got tossed, but now we're a little uneasy about who might take his place. Apparently Syria is next on the wests hit list. That makes me wonder if it is better to up end as many of these governments as possible, all at once, or is it better to do them one at a time. All at once might be more chaotic, but it also helps to prevent some of them from meddling in the new regime, since they themselves are trying to save their own. Just a thought anyhow.

8. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

No, I think one at a time is the best method. Syria is on every one's mind as the next stop. Assad has got to be wondering, Hussein, Mubarak, Gaddafi......what chance do I have. Still, he will probably fight to the end. Then on to Yemen. Meanwhile, while all this is going on I see Castro finally buying the farm which will make life interesting.

9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

By all at once I kind of meant what we're seeing now. Over the span of 5-10 years we're seeing totalitarian regimes being dismantled. I think one advantage is that unfriendly/meddlesome countries can't get involved in the power vaccum in the same way they might be, were their control not being threatened as well. I probably should have been more clear, since I think we're generally on the same page. I think regardless of how it's done, what ends up in power after the fact, in any of these places, is anyone's guess.

10. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +513 / 9 / -4

#75 Jersey

You've got to hand it to that Mahmoud. He can deadpan with the best of 'em.

Iran congratulates Libyan people - timesofmalta.com

Such a kidder!

I wonder if they are prepared to share it with the nation of Iran?

11. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +227 / 1 / -0

#95 Jersey

Or wait to see what happens if the "legitimate demands of the people."extends to the streets of Tehran!!!