Welcome to PatsFans.com

Liberals Go After Fox News Advertisers

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +270 / 11 / -11

This should be interesting and is probably partly in response to Bill O'Reilly and other right-wingers pressuring Jet Blue not to advertise on Daily Kos. What goes around comes around, and least I hope so.

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.aspx?feed=AP&Date=20070727&ID=7241717

NEW YORK (AP) - Liberal activists are stepping up their campaign against Fox News Channel by pressuring advertisers not to patronize the network.

MoveOn.org, the Campaign for America's Future and liberal blogs like DailyKos.com are asking thousands of supporters to monitor who is advertising on the network. Once a database is gathered, an organized phone-calling campaign will begin, said Jim Gilliam, vice president of media strategy for Brave New Films, a company that has made anti-Fox videos.

The groups have successfully pressured Democratic presidential candidates not to appear at any debate sponsored by Fox, and are also trying to get Home Depot Inc. to stop advertising there.

At least 5,000 people nationwide have signed up to compile logs on who is running commercials on Fox, Gilliam said. The groups want to first concentrate on businesses running local ads, as opposed to national commercials.

2. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

:rofl: Good luck with that..!! :rofl: Hopefully this one works better than the boycott of Rush Limbaugh's sponsors from several years back..!! :rofl: Those drove him right out of business..!!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +516 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

Liberals are a joke and an embarassment to themselves. In theory I would vote for a Democrat - but not this pitiful group.

4. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

really? it's interesting... Con men aren't regarding jet-blue? that's legit, right?

Fox needs to seriously consider keeping its collective mouth shut regarding other entities' sponsors... It is so fitting to see this come back and bite them in the ass...

5. Patters

Ratings:
    +270 / 11 / -11

Actually, I don't recall a boycott of Rush by a major group. Of course, there was the achievement of getting him off ESPN, .... :rofl:

6. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

i wouldn't call that an achievement by the network, because that was all the Grand Wizard's doing, himself... that was just Rush being Rush, and the putz had no help in the matter besides running his own mouth....

7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +242 / 8 / -13

Funny when the fundie Christians call for Boycotts, the libs whine about freedom of speech and censorship, but when the shoe is on the other foot.

I can only imagine your response if conservative called for a boycott of CNN due to their liberal POV, in their 'reporting' :rolleyes:

8. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

yeah, they were extremely "liberal" when they gave the Bush Administration pass after pass in the lead-up to invasion... refusing to ask the serious questions, turning the other way, and giving in to one Bush edict after another regarding troop levels, civilian deaths and images of flag-draped coffins....

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

Hey, good for them. This is a free country. People can do this if they want to. I'm not sure it's going to have much of an effect, but I could be wrong.

10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +675 / 2 / -9

Fox must love it, now the ratings will go even higher, the democrats sh!t their pants every time they hear the word "Fox".
    :bricks:

11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +516 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

I have no idea about the Jet Blue issue - I don't watch O'Reilly that much. But whether it's in response to something or not, it's pathetic. Just watch your own liberal sh!t and let Republicans do their own thing.

12. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

i see... so we should watch our own programming and keep quiet, and the Fox Noise people should watch our own programming and say whatever they like... noted...

13. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Anyone but me ever notice that the people who whine the most about Fox are the same morons that refuse to acknowledge the bias of Dan Rather, CBS News, NBC, etc, etc, etc...?

14. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Gee, then I guess it didn't happen then :rolleyes: Because liberals would never suggest boycotting Limbaughs sponsors... no, not liberals... nope, not them... never.... :rolleyes:

15. Patters

Ratings:
    +270 / 11 / -11

Sure, some people talk of boycotts all the time, on both the left and right. Remember the failed Christian right-wing boycott of Disney for having a gay day? Most boycotts don't work, but let's see what happens. MoveOn's strategy of going after local advertisers rather than national ones is a smart one. If there was a boycott of Rush, to the best of my recollection, it wasn't orchestrated by any mainstream group.

16. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +516 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

Again, I can't speak to Fox, I didn't see what they said. But to try to quiet the other side by boycotting their advertisers - it's pathetic.

17. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well it seems this boycott isn't being organized by any mainstream groups either.

18. italia44

italia44 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

what a joke!

millions upon millions of viewers
    have made O'reilly and fox news,
    the most watched cable channel
    in the history of broadcasting.

Boycott?......pathetic

George Soros and Air America,
    may boycott,but this is like being ignored by Joseph Goebbels.

Same result....bring it on.

19. Seymour93

Seymour93 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

O'Reilly and Fox Noise's ratings have been stagnant since they've been proven wrong about Iraq. His demographics are terrible. Ohh and during their height, the most Fox Noise averaged a night was around 2.5 million viewers.... for some perspective CBS Evening News (last placed amongst the networks) gets over 6 million a night.

Back to the OP.... the campaign is working. Lowe's is pulling their advertisements from the O'Reilly Factor.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2007/7/27/205510/101

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  20. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Since you bring up CBS News, here's a question... Which network news would you say has been more biased over, say, the past 5 years..? Fox News or CBS News..?