Welcome to PatsFans.com

Liberal Media?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

2. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

"He was an alcoholic who collected fossils, glass eyes, light bulbs and snare drums."

In a statement, Ritscher's parents and siblings called him an intellectually gifted man who suffered from bouts of depression. They stopped short of saying he'd ever received a clinical diagnosis of mental illness.

His son, who shares the same name as his father, said his father was trying to cope with mental illness.

Who cares if some lunatic burns himself alive? I feel bad the guy killed himself, but people do that everyday. The world don't stop. If I jump off the Tobin tomorrow, should the media put it on the front page of the globe, or should we implement policy over it? I have no idea what this guys suicide has to do with liberal media.
  3. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I don't know if you're being intentionally coy, but Holy Diver's point (even though I don't really agree with it on account of it being a falacy) is crystal clear: If the media has the liberal bias that is claimed, they would have been all over this story.
  4. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

What story? That's my point. Some mentally challenged fool who collects glass eyes in his spare time poured gas on himself and burned himself alive. Some story. What relevence does that have to the Iraq war? That he didn't like it? Whoop di doo. Some people kill themselves over paying chld support, is that news? As vile as I think some in the media can be, this is not news and they know it. People kill themselves everyday for a variety of reasons. This is not news. The guy had mental problems. Now if Madeline Albright, or Brad Pitt burned themsleves in protest of the war, it would be news for obvious reasons. Furthermore, I don't think news outlets want to promote that people burning yourself alive in protest of the war will get you 15 seconds of fame.
  5. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Liberal news outlets would want to promote people burning themselves alive, at least if everything I read here about liberals is true.
  6. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

Your taking a non news story, and trying to apply meaning to it. Again, this is not news. The media is not going to report about a mentally challenged fool who burns himself alive. The media reports on news that viewers will be interested in. Viewers are not interested in this. How they report on it is where biased is usually involved, be it left or right of center.
  7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Like Terri Schiavo?

Nah......
  8. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

You're right NEM, the problem with the media isn't that they're liberal, it's that they try to fake an objectivity where there can be none. How do you feel neutral about the Bush administration, or Hillary Clinton? You can't. Either you love em or hate em.

The one I never understood is about Bush's daughters, though. It's not like they're responsible for his war, either. I'm sure he'd never ask them to make a sacrifice, but he can't "send" them to war any more than he can send any other woman.
  9. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The media reports events that are not news ALL THE TIME! A kid is missing in Grand Forks, the whole country treats it like a national emergency! Not to be mean, but what's that got to do with anyone other than those who know her or the locals?
    What about the media reporting about themselves? Dan Rather, Katie Curic, Michael Irving...half the stories we hear from the media is about the media fakrissakes! The important news that matters in our lives is largely unreported.
  10. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ~~~Out of Order~~~ PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +24 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#87 Jersey
    The liberal media bias IMO is all about who is the "Bad Guy(s)" of the day or week...they look for the story that will paint the other side out to be pointedly mean, ignorant of compassion, intoloerant of opposing viewpoints. The man burning himself was not a story because the carnage in Iraq this past week made the right look the worst....it's all about the shock factor for the liberal media....I guess they feel that's what works best because liberals tend to be more emotional politically than the right fanyways.

To be fair here the conservative media bias is an equal now. The liberal media bias was prevalent pre-internet, when we all got our news from NBC, CBS, ABC...well, not really ABC but I want to be fair and compassionate to them even though they have sucked for a very, very long time.:p

Anyways...the conservative media bias IMO, of course... is all about who is the ignorant single minded elitist of the day or week. They try to paint the other side as clueless, single issue minded and of weak skin and backbone.

Somewhat related here...the left has pulled way out front in getting their message and assembling the masses on the internet...the right is at a distinct disadvantage here IMO. This has enlivened the conservative media to get meaner and nastier than ever...and it's backfiring.

I, for one am very glad it is backfiring. Old fashioned conservatism was never about being mean...it was all about persuassion and direction. If the right doesn't move left a bit...the left will have enough power to override vetos...a big problem indeed.
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
  11. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

Fine, Terry Schiavo. Tell me what was biased about that story, or why it was reported on.
  12. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

Look guys, the MSM's overall tilt to the left is common knowledge to most people. There are studies that show 80% of reporters are registered Democrats. Here is a UCLA study from last year.

http://www.newsroom.ucla.edu/page.asp?RelNum=6664

Of the 20 major media outlets studied, 18 scored left of center, with CBS' "Evening News," The New York Times and the Los Angeles Times ranking second, third and fourth most liberal behind the news pages of The Wall Street Journal.