Welcome to PatsFans.com

Libby trial (redux)

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Jan 23, 2007.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Unfortunately, the original thread about the most symbolic trial of the Bush League century became mired in loyalist deflection, and irrelevant parallel to Dems ... (Dems who actually pled guilty) ...

Now that the trial has officially begun, perhaps we can actually stick to the topic and discuss the courtroom proceedings.

Already, Scooter is taking a beating in opening arguments, and Bush Leaguers in the spotlight are beginning to eat their own... And awaaaaay we go!:
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  2. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

BREAKING: Libby Destroyed Evidence Prior To Testifying, Cheney ‘Deeply Involved’ »

Under oath, Vice President Cheney’s former chief of staff Scooter Libby told a grand jury that he first learned that Joe Wilson’s wife, Valerie Plame, was a CIA agent from conversations with the media. In fact, he first learned that information from Vice President Cheney himself.

Libby is now on trial for perjury. His defense is that he simply forgot who told him that Plame worked for the CIA. But in court today, prosecutors outlined a powerful case establishing that Libby had reason to remember who told him and motive to cover it up. MSNBC’s David Schuster said today’s revelations from prosecutors are “new and will astound a number of people, even those who have been following this case.” Among the new claims:

– “Vice President Cheney himself directed Scooter Libby to essentially go around protocol and deal with the press and handle press himself…to try to beat back the criticism of administration critic Joe Wilson.”

– Cheney personally “wrote out for Scooter Libby what Libby should say in a conversation with Time magazine reporter Matt Cooper.”

– “Scooter Libby destroyed a note from Vice President Cheney about their conversations and about how Vice President Cheney wanted the Wilson matter handled.”

watch it
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Libby says he’s being set up to take the fall for Rove.

“Attorneys for former White House aide Scooter Libby said Tuesday that Bush administration officials tried to blame him for the leak of a CIA operative’s name to cover up for Bush political adviser Karl Rove’s own disclosures. … ‘They’re trying to set me up. They want me to be the sacrificial lamb,’ [Libby’s attorney] said, recalling the conversation between Libby and Cheney. ‘I will not be sacrificed so Karl Rove can be protected.‘”
  4. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Memory or lying?

Libby told investigators he learned about Plame from NBC News reporter Tim Russert. But Fitzgerald told jurors that was clearly a lie because Libby had already been discussing the matter inside and outside of the White House.

"You can't learn something on Thursday that you're giving out on Monday," Fitzgerald said.

Libby says he didn't lie but was simply bogged down by national security issues and couldn't remember his conversations with New York Times report Judith Miller, Time magazine reporter Matthew Cooper and Russert.
  5. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

There are ant hills that are more interesting than your bizarre and sociopathetic obsession with Libby. Do you have a crush on the guy or something??

:eek: :eek:

//
  6. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

i'm only concerned with holding obuse of power accountable for all to reflect upon... get it straight...

now, do you have anything to add about the trial, or must you resort to personal jabs that violate the forum's terms of service and only result in returned fire that you subequently and routinely cry about?
  7. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

i didn't think so...

anyhow...

Day 2

now they're all claiming memory lapses... how excellent...

so far, is anyone buying these Reagonics? ... lol ....

"i don't recall".... no, sorry, gentlemen... this time you're going to need to remember, because we have the dated memo...
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

WTF are you talking about? The story is all over the news...even on FOx!
  9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +562 / 2 / -9

Who Gives A Sh!t

I want to know what those papers were that the Clinton Thief Sandy Burglar had in his underwear.
    WHAT WERE THOSE PAPERS--WHAT WERE THEY--WHY DIDN'T CLINTON WANT THEM TO BECOME PUBLIC--WHY DID SANDY BURGLAR STEAL THEM.

BRING SANDY AND BLUE DRESS TO THE GRAND JURY.

WHAT DID SANDY BURGLAR STEAL :confused:

WHERE DID THE DEMOCRAT CROOK GET THE "HOT MONEY" THAT HE PUT IN HIS FREEZER, WHY DID THIS CRIMINAL FREEZE THE MONEY :confused:
  10. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Thanks, Harry. I knew there was at one person here with a sense of balance and fair play.

Not to mention a sense of understanding history.

//
  11. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

i asked that we stay on topic for this thread... there was another Libby thread you polluted with your irrelevant Berger deflection, and you could have done so there...

vindictive, spiteful, and above all, FOG, hypocritical... again, Berger has NOTHING to do with this trial... you're isolating yourself again as a guy who just can't debate at all without clinging to Bill Clinton
  12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +562 / 2 / -9

Sandy Burglar is in the news today, they want to know more about this little thief and what it was he stole and why.
  13. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

then start a new thread about it... or keep it in one of the threads you've already started about it... is that possible for you?
  14. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Excellent, indeed. Wonder where they learned that from?? ... um-m-m??

Hillary must be miffed. Inside she's claiming "intellectual property rights" to that line of response.

Oh, well, as the heavens say: "What goes around, comes around."

... but don't wake up Pressy about it. (Sh-h-h... )

:D

//
  15. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

lol... you're pathetic... your heroes are already losing this trial badly, and all you can do is obsess about the Clintons over and over and over...
  16. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

You're not doing so well, yourself, Press. You're carrying your own thread here with 10 out of 15 posts (!!!)

Wow!! And you said *I* couldn't attract any attention!!

Hope you find your mirror soon, so you can get back to reality. LOL

:D

//
  17. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

lol... counting thread frequency? ... did you rank your classmates for popularity in high school also? might wanna turn off the reality teen shows for tonight, cool guy...

i'm offering a synopsis of each day of the trial... it's telling that you have NOTHING to say in defense of Libby... tell me, what reality am i somehow missing? i know what reality you're AVOIDING...
  18. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Day 3:

Libby already being contradicted ... by a member of Cheney's inner-circle, no less... they truly are feasting on their own...

Ex-Spokeswoman Contradicts Libby Account
    By MICHAEL J. SNIFFEN, Associated Press Writer

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Printable Version
    Email This Article

(01-25) 14:45 PST WASHINGTON, (AP) --

Vice President Dick Cheney's spokeswoman testified Thursday she told I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby that a prominent war critic's wife was a CIA employee earlier than Libby has said he first learned it from a reporter.

On the third day of Libby's trial, Cathie Martin became the first member of Cheney's inner circle to contradict statements by Libby that led to the charges he lied to the FBI and a grand jury investigating who leaked the wife's identity to reporters in 2003.

Theodore Wells, defense lawyer for Cheney's former chief of staff, quickly sought to limit any damage from the testimony of Cheney's former assistant for public affairs.

Wells got Martin to acknowledge that she herself could not recall for sure whether she relayed the information about CIA operative Valerie Plame, wife of Iraq war critic Joseph Wilson, to Cheney and Libby on June 11, 2003, or as late as July 6, 2003.

The date is important because Libby told investigators he first heard of Plame's job from NBC reporter Tim Russert on July 10. Libby claims that because he was preoccupied with pressing national security issues, he simply forgot he had earlier learned about her work at CIA from government officials.
  19. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

1. Once again, it was YOU who brought up the "popularity contest" issue here on this board. How quickly (and conveniently) you forget.

2. I am not here to defend Libby. I am here to point out, as you well know, that your obsession with Libby is bizarro. Not only does it show the mean-spiritedness of your heart, it is utterly counter-productive to helping the U.S. / world because it is inevitably going to just lead to MORE recriminations against the "other side", the Dems.

You don't realize how many "Crazy Harrys" there are out there, do you?? You should do yourself a HUGE favor and get out of New England for while. Drive your car out across America. See the people who live between the coasts. There's a lot going on that would surprise you. If you're man enough.

//
  20. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Fog... the only person obsessed here is you with me... i'm flattered, but you're hideous to me...

It's painfully ironic that you're accusing me of mean-spiritedness, when the allegations against Libby, Cheney and Rove were PRECISELY about mean-spiritedness... I guess it's ok for them, but not ok for the rest of us who see something WRONG with their fraud and hold it accountable... What a convenient way to placate yourself... To play the victim, and demonize the accountability ...

As for leaving New England... I've lived in four different states for well over half my life... If you're going to try and portray something personal about an opponent, you should at least wait to learn the truth rather than just make sh!t up...

Questioning my manhood when you routinely run and hide from direct questioning is probably not the brightest strategy for you, jackass...

Finally, and hopefully you'll actually answer this time... By your "logic" above, for the rest of American history, any time a politician breaks the law or leads its fighting men to destruction, should it just be swept under the rug because it's "utterly counter-productive to helping the U.S. / world?" Please, for once in your life, answer the question directly...
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2007