Welcome to PatsFans.com

Libby trial begins

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Jan 15, 2007.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

the real trial of the century, in symbolism, if nothing else:

Many in the hot seat at Libby trial
    Members of government, media elite face uncomfortable spotlight

By Carol D. Leonnig

When Vice President Cheney's former chief of staff goes on trial Tuesday on charges of lying about the disclosure of a CIA officer's identity, members of Washington's government and media elite will be answering some embarrassing questions as well.

I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby's case will put on display the secret strategizing of an administration that cherry-picked information to justify war in Iraq and reporters who traded freely in gossip and protected their own interests as they worked on one of the big Washington stories of 2003.

The estimated six-week trial will pit current and former Bush administration officials against one another and, if Cheney is called as expected, will mark the first time that a sitting vice president has testified in a criminal case. It also will force the media into painful territory, with as many as 10 journalists called to testify for or against an official who was, for some of them, a confidential source.

<snip>

Drastically different versions of events
    U.S. v. Libby boils down to two drastically different versions of the same events in the spring and summer of 2003. The government alleges that Libby was involved in a concerted White House effort to discredit Plame's husband, former U.S. ambassador Joseph C. Wilson IV, who had publicly accused the Bush administration of twisting information he provided on Iraq's nuclear weapons program. Wilson led a CIA-sponsored mission to Niger a year earlier and found no grounds for claims that Iraq was trying to obtain uranium there.

Eight days after Wilson went public with his claims, Plame's identity as a CIA officer appeared in Novak's column.

The defense says that neither Libby nor the White House sought to retaliate against Wilson and that Libby misspoke to investigators looking into the disclosure because he was overwhelmed by a crush of national security and other matters. He has said he had no motive to lie about the details or timing of conversations he had with reporters.

continued here
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +303 / 1 / -9

What are they going to do about Sandy Burglar & the guy that puts money in his freezer with his Fried Chicken?

What was Sandy the crook stealing, what was he trying to "cover up" for Billy Blue Dress?

Has the other crook got any more money in his freezer?
  3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

at what point will you ever be able to address a thread topic without wildly deflecting to some irrelevant non-issue?
  4. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Politics at forefront in Libby trial

By MATT APUZZO, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - Potential jurors in the perjury trial of former White House aide I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby likely will be asked their opinions of the Bush administration, political scandals and the Iraq war Tuesday, foreshadowing the political tenor of a lengthy trial.

Libby is accused of lying to investigators about his conversations with reporters regarding outed CIA officer Valerie Plame. Plame's identity was leaked to reporters in 2003 after her husband criticized the Bush administration's prewar intelligence on Iraq.

The leak touched off a political firestorm and an FBI investigation that Libby is accused of obstructing.

<snip>

"What is your political party preference? Democrat, Republican, Independent or other?" defense attorneys wrote on their list of proposed jury questions.

"Please describe any feelings you have about Vice President Cheney," they also asked.

U.S. District Judge Reggie Walton has not released his final list of questions but has indicated that such political questions are needed to select a fair jury.

Walton will put those questions to a group of about 60 potential jurors Tuesday. Each juror will then take the stand for follow-up questions from defense attorneys, prosecutors and the judge.

Special Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald's proposed list includes questions about what newspapers and magazines jurors read and where they get their news. Fitzgerald also wants to know whether their opinion of Libby's former job would make it hard for them to be fair.
  5. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +303 / 1 / -9

Who Gives A Sh!t
  6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +477 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

Harry sees the story behind the story and the story behind that.

You only know what you read PC ... you are a sheeple.
  7. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

And you're a jackass, making up deep intellectual vagueness to make it seem I'm missing some big picture... Why don't you expand on that and let us all know what the "story is behind the story", so we can all be better informed... Otherwise, you're just hot air, like your favorite poster above...

If not, here's the story behind the story: Your VP engaged in a coordinated and vindictive effort to jeapardize the NOC status of a known CIA operative overseas.... a direct violation of the Intelligence Identities Protection Act, legislation Ronnie Reagan signed into law in 1982 and passed by House and Senate, after a CIA station chief was assassinated in Greece after being outed by Philip Agee.....

In doing so, your favorite criminal administration effectively cut out more checks and balances by sending a "shot across the bow" to the CIA, that no one would be safe if they exposed the fraudulent message... You don't wonder why the CIA has been near completely purged since 2004, do you? Well, I do... They want yes men.... Sheeple, i believe you put it...

So, if you're not going to thrill us with your pretentious "story behind the story behind the story" that we people who actually read somehow miss because we deal in facts, please give the debate up and go talk about ideology and the merits of the great crusade in another thread.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  8. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

People who don't have a selective idea of what is a broken law. You're a joke of a poster if you think this trial is trivial... May be time to wake up.
  9. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I generally agree with the post, but the CIA is not a part of any system of checks and balances. They are under control of the POTUS.
  10. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +303 / 1 / -9

When is Sandy Burglar going to be arrested and charged with STEALING Government Documents.

When will Uncle Teddy be arrested and charged with MURDER :confused:

Kathleen Wiley misses her Pu$sy.

Who stole all the Silverware out of the White House.

Saddam Is Dead.
  11. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

you're the most irrelevant, nonsensical poster here... make a point that pertains to the thread for once...
  12. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +303 / 1 / -9

OK, why do they call him "Scooter"?
  13. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

as expected... your inability to ever stick to the thread topic or handle any direct challenge makes you a complete non factor in all debates here...

i think Matlock is on... go put your incessant baseless anger on ice for an hour, and have a watch...
  14. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

What the hell? Were you not paying attention to the news the day Sandy Berger pled guilty to a misdermeanor charge of unauthorized removal & retention of classified documents, paid a $50,000 fine, lost his security clearence, served two years of probation, and performed 100 hours of community service? They can't try him again, you know.

Now it's Libby's turn, I want to see him on the side of the highway picking up trash.
  15. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +303 / 1 / -9

Gee, gosh, I was trying to be on topic, "Scooter" is Libby's nickname, how come, did his Mother start calling him this or did it develop in later years, I have Red Hair, when I was younger they used to call me "Sh!thead", when my wife met me she always called me Sh!thead, her Mother did too until she died, when I visited her in the hospital she said to the nurse "oh, here comes sh!thead", my wifes name is Barbara, we sent flowers to her mothers funeral, there was a big Gold Ribbon across the basket that said "We love you, Barbara and Sh!thead"

I was just wondering if you had any idea as to why Scooter Libby is callled Scooter Libby, years ago the nickname "Butch" was very popular, I wonder why Scooter's mother didn't call him "Butch" instead of "Scooter", well maybe this will all come out in the trial, I hope so.
  16. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Could be a couple things... He may have ridden a scooter when he was a kid... maybe whoever gave him the nickname was a fan of To Kill a Mockingbird, and he already had a girl's name so they figured a girl's nickname would be OK...

What I want to know is will they call him scooter in prison, or will they have a less endearing name for him?
  17. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Wow, what harsh punishment! I can't beleive it! He had his security clearance suspended, a fine, AND probation? Wow, that's crazy. All he did was steal classified, irreplacable government documents that were related to terrorism Al-queda, and possiblely September 11th. Way too harsh. If that's the bar they've set, then I expect Libby will get 20 minutes in the corner wwearing a dunce hat.

[​IMG]
  18. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

He was prosecuted by a Republican administration, so if that's all they got that means it's all they could get. Boo hoo.
  19. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

now you're just changing the parameter of the exchange in blind support of Harry, as usual... your buddy there asked "WHEN is Sandy Burglar going to be prosecuted...?".... the operative word being "WHEN"... so then you cry that his punishment wasn't harsh enough... ignoring the fact that your pal was completely wrong once again.... aren't you the one complaining about too much partisanship and on and on, yet you won't condemn a right ally poster who's clearly wrong again and again...
  20. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My question is this: why in blazing hell would they allow this to go to trial??

With all the administration's filth that this trial has the potential of uncovering, does it make sense for Cheney and his goons to be hauled in front of a jury??

Harry, please ignore PressCoverage and keep up the good work....I want you to remain the face of Joe Republican for all to see here. You make really important contributions to this forum. You're the best gift anyone could give those Loony Democrats.

:bricks: