Welcome to PatsFans.com

Libby in jury's hands; His lawyer literally cries?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Feb 21, 2007.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Big Finish and Weird Moments in the Libby Trial

At the end of his closing statements, Wells broke down in tears and begged the jury to "give Scooter back to me" (or something just as weird to that effect). He then returned to the defense table, head in hand, never to look up again. Some thought it was over-identification with the defendant, but I thought he was grieving his career -- this would be a big loss for him. He ate up 20 minutes of Scooter's precious time rebutting things that Zeidenberg had said about himself during the prosecution's closing statements, as if that mattered, and then left himself with little time to cover all the points he had left. In the end he was reading methodically from his own Power Point presentation. It all came off a bit unglued.

At one point Fitzgerald started down a road I thought he wouldn't -- mentioning that Libby would most surely remember information regarding Valerie Plame because anyone would when there were lives at stake, identities that might be exposed. I expected Wells to leap out of his chair but he never took his head out of his hand, and Jeffres looked like he was about to have a conniption fit. As the second attorney on the case it wasn't his place to object, but even if Fitzgerald was on completely solid ground based on arguments that they themselves had opened up, at the very least they needed to stop his momentum. He had the jury in his hand at that moment and Wells was in a coma, so Jeffress timidly asked if they could approach the bench. Which Fitz did, but Wells did not. Fitz wound up backtracking a bit, emphasising that this went to Libby's state of mind and should not be considered a discussion of whether Libby leaked classified information because that's not what he was charged with. But during the chat with the judge, Libby leaned over and had a few words with Wells, and I'm only guessing here but most likely something along the lines of "this is what I get for my eight million bucks?"

Wells had pleaded with the jury to return Libby to him, but Fitz begged them to return the truth. "Don't you think the American people are entitled to answers?" he asked. The jury of nine women and three men were extremely attentive to him, and my general impression is that he was quite persuasive. I personally think Scooter has lost touch with reality here, but if there is any tangent left, he's not sleeping easily tonight.
  2. patfanken

patfanken On the Roster

Ratings:
    +260 / 14 / -8

#91 Jersey

What I would like explained to me is WTF Robert Novak got off scott free on this deal. He had to have known that its AGAINST THE LAW to publish the name of a CIA covert agent. I hope they throw the book at Libby, and in fact they should have impeached his boss....or bosses for this unbridled political attack that simply was a violation of the law they were sworn to uphold (one of many BTW). Still (sorry for the rant), why wasn't Novak prosecuted as well, since it was his story that exposed Phlame
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +247 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

There's no evidence Plame was undercover at all. Everyone seemed to know it. And her alcoholic husband, don't get me started. The whole thing's a sham.
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -8

This Libby Trial (PressCovers Trial Of The Century) is a bunch of bullsh!t, Wilson's a bigger liar than Billy Blue Dress, nobody is paying any attention to it, the Retard Exibitionist Nicole Smith is getting more attention, even the Bush Hating Liberal Media isn't giving it much coverage.

:bricks:
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +107 / 7 / -10

Why Libby aside from the fact that the prosecution never said she was undercover (because she wasn't). Since Armitage is the one who told Novak Plame was Wilson's wife. Why wasn't Armitage the one on trial?
  6. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

We've been over this, and you're Cheney talking points have been destroyed... But here you are repeating it for a new audience... What a surprise...

Armitage is not on trial because he never lied during the investigation... He immediately came clean... And covered nothing up... You do understand what the word perjury means, yes?

Again, Valerie Plame was most certainly an undercover operations officer until outed in the press by Robert Novak.

Valerie Plame was a classmate of mine from the day she started with the CIA. I entered on duty at the CIA in September 1985. All of my classmates were undercover--in other words, we told our family and friends that we were working for other overt U.S. Government agencies. We had official cover. That means we had a black passport--i.e., a diplomatic passport. If we were caught overseas engaged in espionage activity the black passport was a get out of jail free card.

A few of my classmates, and Valerie was one of these, became a non-official cover officer. That meant she agreed to operate overseas without the protection of a diplomatic passport. If caught in that status she would have been executed.

The lies by people like Victoria Toensing, Representative Peter King, and P. J. O'Rourke (and our good friend patsfan here) insist that Valerie was nothing, just a desk jockey. Yet, until Robert Novak betrayed her she was still undercover and the company that was her front was still a secret to the world. When Novak outed Valerie he also compromised her company and every individual overseas who had been in contact with that company and with her.

The Republicans now want to hide behind the legalism that "no laws were broken". I don't know if a man made law was broken but an ethical and moral code was breached. For the first time a group of partisan political operatives publically identified a CIA NOC. They have set a precendent that the next group of political hacks may feel free to violate.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  7. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

you're a sham if you honestly believe no evidence exists that she was undercover.... see above... unless everyone at the CIA is simply lying...
  8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Hmm.....Does it mean Bill Clinton?

[​IMG]

Sorry, I had to! It came to mind & I figured I'd do the usual hijack of a thread with either GW hate, or Clinton's Lewinsky, I mean Clinton & Lewinsky. :D

Plus, Agenda Boy will probably reply with something funny. :singing:
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

I've been of the opinion that Libby gets a slap on the wrist, plus or minus. Personally, I wish all DC people would be held accountable, but that just doesn't happen much anymore. When Sandy Burglar gets probation for destroying classified documents (he can go destroy more in 3 years! Boggles the mind!) then something tells me the fix is in. I could be wrong, but one thing is DC is assured, one hand tends to help wash the other. All while joe Taxpayer gets fu....well, you know. :(
  10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +247 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

That's the good thing about Liberals, there's always some link they can produce, no matter how far off the beaten track, that will back up their position. Of course some link doesn't make it so. We've all see many people on TV the past year saying that they none of this was a surprise.
  11. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +107 / 7 / -10

There is a definition of what constitutes undercover, IF she had been undercover Fitz would have used that in the case. Of course it has been clearly established that IF she were outed it was Armitage who outed her and he was not a subject of the investigation.

She would have had to been overseas since 98, there is no evidence that she was, being an analyst does not mean undercover.
  12. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +107 / 7 / -10

Should J Wilson be held accountable about who recommended he be sent to Niger? Abd tthen going public and leaking info from his 'secret' mission.
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Yeah but he had a book to publish. :D
  14. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

I'm going to say this once more, and hopefully this time you'll acknowledge it, and stop repeating the same inane rant like the robot from Lost in Space... The case was about perjury, not her outing... there was no reason for Fitzgerald to present the FACT that she was covert in the case...

Regardless, you're clinging to a talking point that has been debunked over and over... and yet you're still beating your head against the wall... It's really insulting that you're denying her status, and minimizing the impact of this vindictive, nasty, treasonous campaign by the White House...

But then, the glove don't fit, right OJ jurer?
  15. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +247 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

And it was about only perjury because they had no other case. If the actual point of the supposed outing were fact, don't you think someone would have been charged as such ?
  16. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

It was a coordinated outing of a proven covert CIA officer ... The evidence bares that out... The sticky part of proving violation of the Intelligence Identities Protection Act is that Fitzgerald would have needed to display that they all KNEW she was covert before they intentionally blabbered to the press... Again: "Knew" her status beforehand... He has proven they distributed her name to several select journalists, but he would be on shaky ground to prove they all knew she was covert (even though they all did likely know)... Fitzgerald is a very shrewd prosecutor, and he's well aware the White House did something immoral here... However, he knows in this day and age of "I don't recall" how the weasels would play the game... He's not going to take on a case with a 70% chance of success... It would need to be closer to some 95%, like any federal prosecutor... And that's the only thing that saved Rove's ass, if not all of them...

This has all been explained by Michael Isokoff and David Corn, among many others who know the facts, as to why the government ultimately called off the dogs on the IIPA violation...
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +107 / 7 / -10

The evidence was that Armitage told Novak, nothing else. That's what the prosecution said in court. The FACT that no one was charged for revealing she was CIA tells the story. The funny thing is htat Libby said in his Testimony that Cheney told him about Plame. He did have memory lapses, but then again so did Cooper, Miller and the FBI agent, but Libby is the only one whose memory lapse's are criminal, laughable.

David Corn instead of facts introduced into evidence beautiful, Thanks for the daily laugh.
    :singing: :rolleyes:
  18. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -8

Wilson is a James Bond wannaba, his name is a joke in Washignton, when the Libby thing blows over nobody will ever remember him, he's an a$s hole.
    GET BUSH--GET BUSH--GET BUSH

Yours Truly
    Harry Boy (Blocked)----> :bricks:
  19. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Years ago, I knew someone who was involved in prosecuting a Congressperson for bribery. The Congressperson (a liberal, by the way) covered his tracks well, but the prosecution knew he was guilty. So, eventually the bribery charge was dropped, but perjury and conspiracy to obstruct justice by committing perjury charges remained. I don't know if the Congressperson was convicted, but he did not run for office again. I think it's quite common in cases where hard evidence is unavailable and a coverup is easily orchestrated that the prosecution goes after the criminal with lesser charges. In fact, that's sort of what happened in the Bill Clinton case, where nothing could be proven, so the prosecution finally turned to a new issue (Lewinksy) and even there only had perjury. (And that was after $40 million of taxpayer money used to look into every aspect of Clinton's life. I guess Clinton was pretty clean.)
  20. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +247 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

Well we all knew that "having sex with that woman" was never a prosecutable offense from the beginning. Unlike Libby who, if guilty, would have been facing a prosecutable offense.