PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lewis

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's done. He supposedly just made a phone call to setup the deal for his friend but that was supposedly the extent of his involvement. I don't think he has much left in the tank unless last year was a fluke or maybe he was out of shape. Either way he had a piss poor year.

Brownfan80 said:
Doesn't he have drug ties? I'm not sure the Patriots would even sniff at him.

I'm pretty sure Dillon had drug ties too didn't he? Sure it was back in college, but still.

mgcolby said:
He's done. He supposedly just made a phone call to setup the deal for his friend but that was supposedly the extent of his involvement. I don't think he has much left in the tank unless last year was a fluke or maybe he was out of shape. Either way he had a piss poor year.

He spent the previous season in prison. I'm going to guess that he was just out of shape, he's still fairly young so I can't imagine he is running on E already.

For the right cash, I could see it as a nearly identical situation to the one which brought Corey to us...Bring him in to split time w/ CD, and draft the burner out of wisconsin and we would have a nasty backfield with good depth.

KDPpatsfan said:
For the right cash, I could see it as a nearly identical situation to the one which brought Corey to us...Bring him in to split time w/ CD, and draft the burner out of wisconsin and we would have a nasty backfield with good depth.

That is what I am thinking. If we got him for the right price (I don't know if that is feasible or not), but he could split time with CD and we would have a wicked backfield.

KDPpatsfan said:

If we do that, we'll be seriously overloaded in the backfield. Lewis, Dillon, Faulk, Pass and Klecko, that would be ridiculous.

Last edited:
huskeralk said:
He spent the previous season in prison. I'm going to guess that he was just out of shape, he's still fairly young so I can't imagine he is running on E already.

That, plus he knew he was hitting FA this summer, and didn't want to get hurt. I still don't know if we'd take him though. He's a great runner, provided he has a good run-blocking OL. He's also always run behind a fullback.

No Way

I am thinking that we should draft a back to become Corey's replacement.

huskeralk said:

He has been run hard for the past 5 years he has averaged just over 300 carries a season. That is a lot of ware and tear. It was after his fifth season that Eddie George started to bump the wall, he still hovered in the 1000 yard range but was never the same as far as explosiveness and power. A big back gets over worked in the NFL and for all but a select few their bodies can't take the beating. I am not saying he can't come back strong or in shape but Chester Taylor was the better back last season for the Ravens.

When you look at how he plays you think he would be a perfect fit for our offense. Big, strong runner who can catch passes. But what comes into consideration is his personal, legal, and salary issues. If Belichick and Pioli thinks that those 3 things can work for us, than I would love to see him in a Pats uniform because he really is a talented back.

huskeralk said:
I'm pretty sure Dillon had drug ties too didn't he? Sure it was back in college, but still.

Point taken. But on that note, Dillon is still here, so I doubt the Patriots will be looking to sign any more multi-million dollar running backs.

Chester Taylor would clearly be the better pickup. Have you even looked at his stats? They guy has averaged over 4 yards a carry his entire brief career and last year alone he had about 41 receptions. He would be far more valuable in the Patriots offense then Lewis. He has size to pound the ball also.

Even though Dillon had an injury plagued, sub par year, there are more glaring needs than Running back right now. I'd rather see the Pats draft an RB and save some money for another CB and Safety. Plus, we'll need some negotiating room for Seymour and Branch down the road, we don't need another medium sized contract.

Last edited:
huskeralk said:

"From 1987-92, Dillon was convicted of five juvenile offenses, ranging from obstructing a police officer to assault to theft at a department store. The Seattle Times reported that when Dillon was 15, he was convicted of selling crack cocaine to undercover police officers. Dillon told the Times he did not sell drugs."

I saw Corey discuss this in an ESPN program last year. As I recall he plead out on advice but maintains to this day he was not personally involved. His family struggled throughout his youth to teach Corey that the company he kept could ruin his life. He went to college in Washington in part to distance himself from his childhood friends. There is also a big difference between the mistakes you make at 15 and those you make in the midst of an NFL career. Corey's later mistakes involved a domestic disturbance and DUI and he did no time.

If Baltimore doesn't want Lewis, buyer beware. He may want us but I guarantee you we don't want him. If not Bob Kraft, Myra Kraft would nix this in a heartbeat. We may bend slightly, but we do not break. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back