PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lewis vs. White? How about Lewis AND White?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.patspulpit.com/2015/8/26...ning-back-sets-for-james-white-and-dion-lewis

I counted six plays where the Patriots featured both Lewis and White in the backfield and the results were positive. The Patriots collected three first downs, including the first play on the game-winning drive, a touchdown, and a 2-yard and 7-yard gain on first down.

The biggest value? The Saints had absolutely no idea what was coming at them. McDaniels used each play to build off the prior and every single play was different. Here's the story.

I like it, but it makes the roster crunch get even tighter.

Woodhead/Vereen 2012

woodhead 747 yards 7 tds
vereen 400 yards 4 tds

Last edited:
Disclaimer: my point was not so much that specifically Lewis and White should both make the roster.

My broader point is that the Patriots seem to have added a new wrinkle on offense (sets with 2 pass-catching RBs).

Heck, you could even put Edelman back there every now and then in a set like this.

Woodhead/Vereen 2012

woodhead 747 yards 7 tds
vereen 400 yards 4 tds

Yup, but they had four RBs total in 2012, including Bolden, and also only had 8 OLs and 4 WRs on the week one roster. Maybe the 8 OLs is doable, but you aren't getting both White/Lewis in only 4RBs and the odds are against 4WRs as well.

Yup, but they had four RBs total in 2012, including Bolden, and also only had 8 OLs and 4 WRs on the week one roster. Maybe the 8 OLs is doable, but you aren't getting both White/Lewis in only 4RBs and the odds are against 4WRs as well.

Dang, good point.

They are both young, cheap, and look great catching the ball. Shame one might not get kept. Preseason game three should sort this out.

I'm all for keeping the best players though. I'm starting to get behind the idea of 2 TE with Develin/Fleming/M. Williams being used as the third.

How about Lewis/Cadet ? Cadet is way more explosive than White and is built like a WR.

Intresting.....By his own admission, Cadet is still learning to pass block and pick up blitzes.... but like u said, he's a versatile receiving option and excels in the wide out position.

I'm told he can run routes really well, and can even play in the slot

Last edited:
I say this every year.

With injuries, I don't see any reason why team roster size shouldn't be in the vicinity of 60 or so.

I agree with you to a point so long as the game day roster is not increased. Otherwise too much specialization would change the game.

The reason though I am sure is money. With the league minimum salary what it is going up to 60 really boosts the costs and owners don't like this. The practice squad has been a way to address this and I like that players can be claimed onto other teams roster.

With the league minimum salary what it is going up to 60 really boosts the costs and owners don't like this. The practice squad has been a way to address this and I like that players can be claimed onto other teams roster.

Absolutely would be in favor of expanding the practice squad. As you say, the checks and balances are all already built in.

Intresting.....By his own admission, Cadet is still learning to pass block and pick up blitzes.... but like u said, he's a versatile receiving option and excels as a wide out

Thats the other angle here. Cadet is your potential WR5 as well.

JE11, LaFell, DA, Wayne are locks.

If LaFell goes on PUP, then it becomes more probable than not Dobson sticks.

I think BB is willing to be patient here and let the RB and WR situation play itself out.

Thats the other angle here. Cadet is your potential WR5 as well.

JE11, LaFell, DA, Wayne are locks.

If LaFell goes on PUP, then it becomes more probable than not Dobson sticks.

I think BB is willing to be patient here and let the RB and WR situation play itself out.

As far as the RB situation goes, the Pats do get an extra spot Week 1 because of Blount's suspension. But once Blount is activated, that's when you have to make a cut somewhere.

Lewis is eligible for the practice squad, but if he keeps playing as well as he did on Saturday, he's not going to clear the waivers. Some other team will definitely grab him.

As far as the RB situation goes, the Pats do get an extra spot Week 1 because of Blount's suspension. But once Blount is activated, that's when you have to make a cut somewhere.

Lewis is eligible for the practice squad, but if he keeps playing as well as he did on Saturday, he's not going to clear the waivers. Some other team will definitely grab him.

Yep- you also have Active PUP and Reserve PUP w/ designation to return for guys like LaFell. Hell, they could try and hide someone there as well. Thats sneaky though.

They call the 3rd down situation a high-class problem.:D

Yep- you also have Active PUP and Reserve PUP w/ designation to return for guys like LaFell. Hell, they could try and hide someone there as well. Thats sneaky though.

They call the 3rd down situation a high-class problem.:D

Minor point: that's not Reserve PUP, that's actually the Injured Reserve list.

Dang, good point.

They are both young, cheap, and look great catching the ball. Shame one might not get kept. Preseason game three should sort this out.

I'm all for keeping the best players though. I'm starting to get behind the idea of 2 TE with Develin/Fleming/M. Williams being used as the third.
Ive been saying this two tight ends with Mundine on the practice squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back