PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lewis v White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brit patriot

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Unlike last year I haven't been able to watch the pre-season games yet.

One of the most interesting battles has to be White v Lewis for the successor to Vereen title. Who do you all think deserves the job?

They both seem to be doing good things. White needs to block. Lewis might have 'shown a bit more' but vs the starters ? Only BB knows. But I'm happy with both so far.

Both deserve to make the roster.
Backs should be Blount,Gray,White,Lewis, Cadet I think is on the outside looking in he's more of a gadget kind of receiving back but not the pure runner as the aforementioned two.
With how quick a injury can occur I think you need to keep these four and Devlin of course is a stud fullback.
I think if Cadet makes the roster he needs to get healthy and play a role on special teams.
Both White and Lewis look like letting Vareen go wasnt the backbreaker so many thought it would be.

Unlike last year I haven't been able to watch the pre-season games yet.

One of the most interesting battles has to be White v Lewis for the successor to Vereen title. Who do you all think deserves the job?

I was thinking about starting this thread because it's a really interesting conundrum. White is not a through the line runner, but in open space he's looked terrific. But Dion Lewis was one of the stars last night. I think this one could go to the wire. Cadet is going to have to get healthy and good in a hurry to stand a chance of making the team.

Like it love Lewis fan of him I'm college but I think White showed me more than I expected I couldn't cut either one.
Both better pure runners than Vareen want to see them on more pass routes next game.

Rich Hill

I remember seeing White out there on a Dion Lewis run last night which I though a little odd. I wondered whether he had lined up at WR. Clearly not. Interesting wrinkle from BB.

How many times have we heard that in the last 15 years? Too many to count.

I thought both guys showed good stuff last night, but I'm really interested in seeing Cadet because he's a little bit more stout I think. I don't think we can narrow things down to just White vs. Lewis yet. But I do know at least one talented back is gonna get cut, which is probably a bit of a surprise for some of us vs. what we thought a couple months ago.

Was watching some youtube of Lewis from college and he reminds me of Ameer Abdullah who was my favourite draft prospect this previous spring. Not as good as Abdullah but certainly similar. Does anyone know what has held Lewis back in his pro career to date?

Like most Pat fans, I was impressed by both last night. I wonder if there is any room on the 53 man roster for both men?

Was watching some youtube of Lewis from college and he reminds me of Ameer Abdullah who was my favourite draft prospect this previous spring. Not as good as Abdullah but certainly similar. Does anyone know what has held Lewis back in his pro career to date?
Well when he was on the Eagles As a undrafted rookie he was looking up at Mccoy and Kellys home picked binkies as well as picking up a complicated offense like Kellys.
But he always flashed when he had the chance to show something so it became a numbers game and also the fact not many teams give undrafted rookies equal footing or adequate snaps.
In Cleveland injuries and a coaching staff without balls to keep a undrafted player transplant on their roster also nagging injuries.

Sounds like a court case.

Well when he was on the Eagles As a undrafted rookie he was looking up at Mccoy and Kellys home picked binkies as well as picking up a complicated offense like Kellys.
But he always flashed when he had the chance to show something so it became a numbers game and also the fact not many teams give undrafted rookies equal footing or adequate snaps.
In Cleveland injuries and a coaching staff without balls to keep a undrafted player transplant on their roster also nagging injuries.

Thanks, I suspected as such although he was at the Eagles prior to Chip Kelly's arrival I believe. His size probably didn't help him either.

So far based on the small sample I've seen of each, I definitely lean a bit more towards Lewis. James White has made some nice open field cuts, but at the same time I have a hard time remembering a Patriots RB that goes down so easily once contact is made. Dion Lewis seems to have a better intrinsic natural balance as a runner with similar open field moves. I'd like to see Dion Lewis get a few more opportunities to block and catch though.

I never thought another back would look remotely deserving of wearing 33.
I think Faulk would even say he's proud the number is being passed to a player of his caliber.

He broke his leg. Also, he is small. As I've said before, there are lots of college players with the body type to be a rb/3ed down back.

Thanks, I suspected as such although he was at the Eagles prior to Chip Kelly's arrival I believe. His size probably didn't help him either.
Yeah I think you're right. One would think he would actually be a better fit with Kelly than he necessarily would've been under Reid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes