PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lewis Sanders - Is there room on this team for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
With Bodden and Springs signed I would think its unlikely Lewis will return as the CB position seems pretty tight with at least one rookie likely to be drafted at corner in 2 weeks.

I would think Lewis could very well still be available should Springs,Hobbs or Bodden get injured early in camp but I think he is done as a Pat.

Lew Sanders filled in well where needed, and has my confidence. I certainly wouldn't mind keeping him.

BTW--I think it's interesting that a lot are finally coming around to admit the obvious, that we still need to improve the CB position, and are quite likely to draft a corner. A lot were thinking the opposite no longer than a week or 2 ago

Lew Sanders filled in well where needed, and has my confidence. I certainly wouldn't mind keeping him.

BTW--I think it's interesting that a lot are finally coming around to admit the obvious, that we still need to improve the CB position, and are quite likely to draft a corner. A lot were thinking the opposite no longer than a week or 2 ago

Certainly the Pats will be drafting a corner within the first 2 rounds unless they do a Peppers deal and give Carolina mega early picks or some other type of blockbuster trade,but if you base it on the 4 picks in the first 2 rounds I will bet anyone in here a top rated corner will be on the roster come the end of day one of the draft

You cannot rely on a Lions reject no matter how decent he seems and you certainly can't rely on an old CB like springs to remain healthy and we all know Hobbs is far from a lockdown corner.

I do think a SS is going to be a focus in round 2 as well - Rodney is not coming back if you ask me,he is too much looking forward to the broadcast booth even though he will miss the game.

Anyone who think our CB position does not need a bright new fresh addition and especially a young draftee with some height,is a total moron.

Last edited:
glass half empty, eh?

Not sure I'd put it like that. With Hobbs, Bodden, Springs, Wheatley and Wilhite we don't NEED to draft a CB. We absolutely COULD with Hobbs/Bodden being FA after 2009, W/W both unproven and Springs old. But, nah, we don't need to, like many positions it would be nice to bring some more young blood in. Nice not need.

Not sure I'd put it like that. With Hobbs, Bodden, Springs, Wheatley and Wilhite we don't NEED to draft a CB. We absolutely COULD with Hobbs/Bodden being FA after 2009, W/W both unproven and Springs old. But, nah, we don't need to, like many positions it would be nice to bring some more young blood in. Nice not need.

Will Wilhite even make this team?

Wheately had shown some minor flashes in a game or two and I think he will stay but I expect room for a rookie in day one to add to the competition,there are several good prospects in the early rounds for BB just to pass up on them with those 4 picks..If they still have those 4 picks by draft day,that is.

Now if CBs are a big thing before #23 then who knows,but I think there will be plenty of good choices at corner all day long on day one - Day two could be lean on talent at the position.

Last edited:

If we do grab a CB hopefully its Darius Butler!!

I read somewhere online that D.J. Moore may be the best fit for this team and he is very versatile as well from what i have read.

Moore should be a second rounder which makes this a distinct possibility

Yeah, I'd be happy with Butler, KDP. There's some decent ones out there, even if most don't project it to be a good CB class.

With not many needs on this team, just a few holes to fill, I think we have the luxury to improve the position.

We all know what a good CB does for us--Ty Law helped us win SB's, and Asante practically got us to 2 minus AFCCG v. Indy. We still need improvement at the position, all we did so far was patch up a glaring obvious weakness.

Last edited:

Wheately had shown some minor flashes in a game or two and I think he will stay but I expect room for a rookie in day one to add to the competition,there are several good prospects in the early rounds for BB just to pass up on them with those 4 picks..If they still have those 4 picks by draft day,that is.

Now if CBs are a big thing before #23 then who knows,but I think there will be plenty of good choices at corner all day long on day one - Day two could be lean on talent at the position.

I agree with your views on this totally

Hobbs, Springs, Bodden, Wheatley, Whilite and possibly a draft pick? Lewis Sanders best option is to make the team as a safety. With that said, I doubt he makes the team.

Last edited:
Hobbs, Springs, Bodden, Wheatley, Whilite and possibly a draft pick? Lewis Sanders best option is to make the team as a safety. With that said, I doubt he makes the team.

Yeah that's a major plus about him, though. His versatility certainly can't hurt. I would imagine the odds are that he doesn't make the team, but BB likes versatile players, so you never know. But, you're right, if he makes the team it'll most likely be at the Safety position.

I've appreciated having Sanders around in the OTIS/Chad Scott/Artrell Hawkins role. He can step in at multiple positions and play within himself. He's valuable, but upgradable as a CB. There still is a role for Sanders as a safety given that he's currently the #4 safety on the roster. That likely won't change unless either a superior FS is drafted or unless BB plans on using Springs in the FS role.

AS for CB, drafting a guy early does create a major logjam at the position, but there are questions (Hobbs consistency, Springs' age, Wheatley's injuries). I think that for 2009 the team is set, but I anticipate that Hobbs and Bodden will be gone next offseason, so it may be in the team's best interests to draft another CB now so that he's ready to jump into the rotation in 2010.

It is also worth considering that the CBs in this draft have been devalued recently. Sean Smith, Alphonso Smith and DJ Moore all can be had in round 2 and one of these guys should be available at #48. CB just might be the best value at that pick.

(edit) also worth mentioning...DJ Moore is a 2 way player with WR experience, surely something noticed by BB.

Last edited:
I doubt it.

(edit) also worth mentioning...DJ Moore is a 2 way player with WR experience, surely something noticed by BB.

FWIW, so is Butler, and we know that BB spent a lot of time with UConn's DBs when he was there.

I say Wilhite makes it before Wheatley.
I love D. Butler. Hopefully we grab him.

With Bodden and Springs signed I would think its unlikely Lewis will return as the CB position seems pretty tight with at least one rookie likely to be drafted at corner in 2 weeks.

I would think Lewis could very well still be available should Springs,Hobbs or Bodden get injured early in camp but I think he is done as a Pat.

I agree. He's not a Patriot right now and unless something quite strange happens (rash of injuries) between now and September BB will look elsewhere. I see at the very least a developmental CB being drafted and we have last year's two rookie CBs back, hopefully more educated and developed.

Considering he started the last for games of 2008 over everyone but Hobbs, I'd say yes, he'll make this team.

That's true, and FWIW--I think his versatility and experience make the 4th S position his to lose, but you have to consider the fact that he was starting due to the unusual rash of injuries at the position. He normally wouldn't have been. But I like him here, and it'll be interesting to see if we upgrade at the position enough for him to be ousted or not. I kind of hope he stays, but if the staff thinks we've upgraded, even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes