Welcome to PatsFans.com

Letter from Aldous Huxley to George Orwell over 1984 novel

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Mar 8, 2012.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,016 / 42 / -31

#24 Jersey

Good stuff:

Aldous Huxley letter to George Orwell over 1984 sheds light on their different ideas | Mail Online

2. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,086 / 16 / -9

Before this turns to the politics of everybody saying the other guy is Mustapha Mond or Big Brother, let me just say thanks for an interesting find Icy.

Okay everybody be stoopit now.

3. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +2,016 / 42 / -31

#24 Jersey

The original letter was posted here ... bookmark if interested it is a great site.

Letters of Note

4. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,086 / 16 / -9

Bookmarked... thanks again

5. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,086 / 16 / -9

So, we ended up w/Huxley's vapid society and Orwell's cameras everywhere. On balance everyday life is probably 3 parts Brave New World to 1 part 1984, if you ax me.

6. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +2,016 / 42 / -31

#24 Jersey

That sounds about right ... it will slide more to Orwell perhaps now with the ever increasing security surveillance camera's, drones, networked electronics we buy, camera's in phones that can be hacked etc...

We are a national security disaster away from taking a leap that way any day now.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  7. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +517 / 9 / -4

#75 Jersey

This part seems particularly prescient now:

I'll take "Government school-mandated Ritalin" for 100, Alex.

8. Why?PJ

Why?PJ On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

that's a pretty great letter. However the US is far behind Europe in Both Orwellian and Huxley based control ideas. Let's just hope we can stay that way. Although hypnotic control is far harder to detect than cameras.

9. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,086 / 16 / -9

Yeah, and it's easier to see it in others' society. We don't acknowledge what's closest to home.

The key to Huxley's fears is that it's embraced socially by the people it's used on. Of course that can turn into a "sheeple" argument w/the "sheeple" being anyone who disagrees with the poster, on a bulletin board, so I'm being vague so we can stay so surprisingly civil (!) Good thread if you ask me.

But anyway I guess the thing to point to is this -- whatever is most invisible to us b/c we're so comfortable w/it, is where will find the creepy stuff from the Huxley point of view -- it all falls in the category of what's "normal" to us. So ritalin is probably a good example (as mentioned above.) I don't know what percentage of kids we medicate (and then tell them "drugs are bad, m'kay?") but at least in the 90s or so it was scary high, certainly in the double digits, I think at one point I heard 1 in 4. But also -- what's "normal" to us b/c we accept a baseline set of assumptions about the commercial culture? What's normal to us b/c it's the "universal" among media? And I don't mean the shallow sh1t about who's up and who's down, I mean the subliminal stuff, more about consumption and entitlement? What are the new "normals" us old people don't even really get, that's really the province of facebook & twitter?

Been thinking of that last one since I saw the news about the Kony 2012 campaign, but that's another thread.

10. Stilla

Stilla On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The paradigm that best explains how we perceive the future most likely stands closely to our ability to curb terrorism, and how we go about ending its growth in the long term. I would think, it alone will dictate the short road ahead, and that institutions might perceive its efficiencies as a good tool for the long future.

11. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +517 / 9 / -4

#75 Jersey

Interesting given your reaction to my posting an excerpt of a letter from Bastiat to Alphonse de Lamartine.