PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's talk some football Pats/Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm excited for this game. I will be interested to see how the coaching goes. BB will NOT want to lose to EM, and I am sure EM will try his best to beat his mentor. I hope our players are not mad at their coach for what has transpired this week so that they can't go out and give it their all. I guess we'll never know who the players blame for the Branch mess. I want to see Brady run out onto the field with his usual fire. I'm also excited (or nervous?) to see if we can get the passing game going. I hope that Brady will do his usual thing and have a great game after a bad one!

I mean cmon guys the Jets beat the Titans last week(ROFL the Titans:singing: )

The titans starting QB was a free agent like a week ago and they(the Jets) barely pulled it out. I like NE they just need to get back on track, if they play like last week I see 21 to 10 win, if they play like they should and maybe Gabriel or Jackson suit up I can see more 31 to 17 win.

AzPatsFan said:
I do not see why Vrabel should move back outside. TBC had a spectacular game, all the more impressive after I reviewed the tape. In addition to three QB hurries, the first pressure forcing the Safety; he also was in on three key rushing plays in which McGahee lost respectively, -2, -1, and +1 yard. He also had a play where McGahee gained between 2 and 3 yards.

Meanwhile Seau and Vrabel several times took the wrong angle on runs up the middle. besides Seau won't and can't paly every down. After all he IS 37and will quickly wear down if he isn't allowed to be paced.

I'd like to see Bruschi and Vrabel start inside and reserve Seau as the guy to give a blow to each of them.

Appreciate the insight! Due to family issues I didn't get to watch the game as closely as I'd like. Glad to hear that Tully is off to such a strong start...though Vrabel taking wrong angles inside isn't a great reason to keep him inside, either!

Dagg said:
I mean cmon guys the Jets beat the Titans last week(ROFL the Titans:singing: )

The titans starting QB was a free agent like a week ago and they(the Jets) barely pulled it out. I like NE they just need to get back on track, if they play like last week I see 21 to 10 win, if they play like they should and maybe Gabriel or Jackson suit up I can see more 31 to 17 win.

The problem is a week ago, we all thought this would be the result against Buffalo, and look what happened there. Now we have BB's protege coming off a win (even though it was against a stinker of a team, granted) and gunning for his mentor, and what has changed for us? Now, reportedly all our players are depressed over Branch. We still don't know if we'll have anyone at receiver. Our guys have to get fired up!!!

I thought Vrabel's response to the Branch trade sounded a little on the cranky side, kind of "he's gone and I'm ticked off about what happened with Buffalo and need to down some Jets to make me feel better, you understand?"

Bottom line is if the Pats bring their best game and the Jets bring their best game, the Pats win.

However, the Jets played a lot better than they probably are against the Titans (Doofington actually looked good on the game winning drive) and the Pats played a lot worse than they are against the Bills (except for Dillroney). If indeed the impact of losing Branch is "five or six" times worse than the Milloy loss and if the Pats' locker room is like a funeral parlor as one player allegedly said, then, h*&l, it's gotta be a tossup.

Last edited:
I think BB learned from the Milloy situation & probably had a lot to do with the timing of the Branch deal. Now they have time to get over the "shock" & move on to the game.

Box_O_Rocks said:
I thought Vrabel's response to the Branch trade sounded a little on the cranky side, kind of "he's gone and I'm ticked off about what happened with Buffalo and need to down some Jets to make me feel better, you understand?"

Well, that's encouraging. i didn't hear Vrabel. I did hear some of Seymour on EEI and he sounded sad, but realistic (like he had had some time to think about things and wasn't as upset as yesterday) about how things go in the NFL. Has Brady said anything?

A few things I have garnered on the Jets after watching the NFL Replay piece on their game OnDemand, talking to a few Jets fans, and reading some articles:

1. The Titans were able to get some push against the Jets' d-line and run the ball at times but trusted Collins a bit too much.

2. Pennington mostly threw quick outs, wr screens, etc except for three nice deep passes to Coles. One down the middle, one on a post route, one on a deep out (I think). He is clearly Penny's favorite wr and is their most dangerous weapon.

3. Tennessee was able to get pressure on Pennington's blind side. A sack resulted in a lost fumble near the Jets' goal line.

4. All three ints by the jets were of the "lucky" variety. One was juggled by the receiver, one was a horribly underthrown ball, the third was when Collins never took his eyes off of the wr.

PatsDeb said:
Well, that's encouraging. i didn't hear Vrabel. I did hear some of Seymour on EEI and he sounded sad, but realistic (like he had had some time to think about things and wasn't as upset as yesterday) about how things go in the NFL. Has Brady said anything?
I never heard him speak, I was referring to the news items that quoted him - perhaps I'm projecting, but he just seemed more focused on the job at hand and not inclined to reminisce about lost love.

Why wouldn't HeWhoIsDeadToMe's buddies on the team not miss him? He was a positive, upbeat, friendly guy and contributed strongly to the team's success on the field.

Feel bad for a coupla days over losing a friend as a co-worker, and then go beat up on the Jets.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Why wouldn't HeWhoIsDeadToMe's buddies on the team not miss him? He was a positive, upbeat, friendly guy and contributed strongly to the team's success on the field.

Feel bad for a coupla days over losing a friend as a co-worker, and then go beat up on the Jets.

Bingo. 1010101

Last week I thought that the game would be a lot tougher than most people were saying.

This week I think that we go there and take care of business. Probably be close for the first quesrter.

We should get the running game going early and if we do, I hope to see more play action. We didn't use play action much last week to my surprise.

patchick said:
Mike Florio is starting to exert a frightening power over NFL fandom. Messageboard posters routinely follow whatever nicknames he assigns...just look at recent posts here about "Joey Sunshine," "Uncle Rico," and of course "Noodle Arm."

I think that Pennington has officially graduated to 'Rotini' arm.

R

patchick said:
Mike Florio is starting to exert a frightening power over NFL fandom. Messageboard posters routinely follow whatever nicknames he assigns...just look at recent posts here about "Joey Sunshine," "Uncle Rico," and of course "Noodle Arm." (Come on, Uncle Rico? WTH?)

Pennington is a good QB who had a serious injury, then aggravated it into a career-threatening injury by agreeing to the team's demand to play through the pain. Then he agreed to a contract reduction to stay with the team that destroyed his shoulder and proceeded to work like hell to regain his starting position. Explain to me why that makes him weak and wimpy instead of tough? If he didn't play for a division rival, I'd be rooting for him to succeed.
I didn't like Pennington b/c in 2002 he and Brady were the medias "QBs of the future"- and many leaned toward Chad. Especially after the 2002 Sunday night game when the Jets smoked the Pats here. Not his fault, but I didn't like it.

And remember his tirade against the media a couple of years ago, telling the press it was a blessing for them to do their jobs, etc. He sounded like such a prick and I've disliked him ever since

Patjew said:
I didn't like Pennington b/c in 2002 he and Brady were the medias "QBs of the future"- and many leaned toward Chad. Especially after the 2002 Sunday night game when the Jets smoked the Pats here. Not his fault, but I didn't like it.

And remember his tirade against the media a couple of years ago, telling the press it was a blessing for them to do their jobs, etc. He sounded like such a prick and I've disliked him ever since

There was a time when I really thought Pennington's future was bright. The guy seemed to genuinely have a good grasp of defenses. For a while there he could really move the ball.

He never had the biggest arm, but he could put it where it was supposed to be and get some yardage. He really seemed to be headed in the right direction as a leader as well.

But then the downfall started. He's going to be interesting to watch. If he's truly healthy he may have a good year again this season. He's a QB that I really respect. I even really like him (when he's throwing 5 INTs to our defense).

Patjew said:

Ooh, yeah, forgot about that one. I remember thinking "No Chad, you misread the official jock script. It says 'we're blessed to have the chance to play this game for a living,' not 'you're blessed to be allowed in the presence of the gods who play this game for a living.'"

OK, now I can root against him wholeheartedly. :D But I do think he's a better QB than the noodle-arm crowd gives him credit for.

I guess the big issue of the week is the loss of Branch. Well that's no excuse. Zero. And if the team has a down game due to it, to hell with them. Branch has been out all year. The players all say "it's business" - OK, then, stop crying and play tha damn game.

I didn't see the jesters' game but road division game or not, I expect us to put a spanking on them. There isn't a single position where they're better than us except maybe WR - but if our injured guys get back we should be OK there too. And don't give me any crap about the WR not knowing the offense - Dante Stallworth did OK after 1-2 weeks with the Eagles, right ? You know, the old 6-141. If Jackson and Gabriel don't know the whole offense, fine, get the gameplan around a piece of the offense they can/have learned.

Bottom line, if we have to squeak out another win or, heaven forbid, lose, I'll be pissed because the jesters have no business being in this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back