PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's talk defensive line

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Bedard says that Wilfork is playing well, and that Jones has been getting played out of position when getting moved inside, with poor results.

Anyone care to address that?

Wilfork has glimpses of greatness and moments of face palming. The play that Kniles Davis broke off is an example of the latter.

I agree we're trying to be too crafty with moving around Chandler Jones so much. That goes for some other players, too. Our dime alignment of Chandler Jones-Easley-Ninkovich makes me want to throw my remote every time I see it. Easley should never be lined up anywhere but 3-tech.

The Chiefs offense more or less had their way with our defense and dictated the entire game. We opened in man and they ran all over us. We switched to zone and they picked us apart with short passes that turned into long plays due to slipping and bad tackling.

Jamie Collins is an unfinished product. We finally got our LB that can cover but he doesn't like contact and he can't tackle, two really bad traits for a LB. Until Collins shows some improvement I would be inclined to move Mayo to the Will and Hightower to MLB (or vice versa). This means we will probably get picked apart by TEs against Mayo and Hightower but at least those passes will have to be earned, whereas the runs for 5-10+ yards seem to come for free when Collins is in there.

As a football novice (at least compared to many other posters here) I have a genuine question. Is there a reason why it has to be all or nothing ? Can't we play aggressive with the elite CB on one side of the field and play something more suited to Ryan on the other ?

I fully understand that Ryan has a different skill set than Browner and Dennard. But making Revis play more conservatively than necessary made QBs go after him instead of avoiding him.
You are correct. Revis could be "Revis Island" and then we can consider the defense for the rest of the field. Indeed that is what most of us would like to see. Apparently, Patricia doesn't see it that way.

One thing I was thinking was about the loss of Spikes and its impact on the run defense. He was a liability in coverage but could really set a tone against the run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back