PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's talk Chandler Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was not excited when I watched the college film of him
That's the thing. He played hurt last year. He got healthy and he bulked up a lot over the last little less than a year. The end result is that he's both faster and bigger than he was in college, so that tape doesn't mean a whole lot. Kudos to Belichick for realizing that Jones had a ton more potential than he showed.

should've just paid mario the 100m.

Wait til the game "slows down" for Chandler Jones and he starts applying his pass rush moves more. And when his gas tank is better. Watch out. He will be as important to our defense as Wilfork is.

I think Chandler Jones will become one of the premier DE's in the NFL.

He will be nearly as good as Coples

And what did Coples do exactly in his first game as a rookie?

One tackle?

Well, have to admit, he might be better than Gholston. :rolleyes:

And what did Coples do exactly in his first game as a rookie?

One tackle?

Well, have to admit, he might be better than Gholston. :rolleyes:

His first sack will pass Gholston on the list. The countdown is on.

The limited video I saw of Chan Jones showed that he was solid in every department. He was consistently 'almost there' in the pass rush, and his strength was a clear plus. He also defended the run well and came up with a pick on a screen. His game IQ was clearly a cut above, and the athletic potential was there. No, he didn't show the burst off of the edge that Mercilus or Irvin showed, but the well-roundedness paired with the athletic potential was the reason for the pick. As some said, he came back from an injury and was in early season form while everyone else was in midseason form.

He is already better than a substitution DE who got one tackle last Sunday.

I know you Jets fans think Coples is a beast, but he has a ways to go before he is what Jones is right now.

I said it before and I will say it again. Right now Coples is not polished enough to be an every down player. He can be easily blocked at times on run downs and is more of a disruptor than a polished pass rusher on passing downs. Jones has shown he is far more adapt in both those areas.

Coples may eventually be a better player than Jones, but Jones is a far better player now. Which is ironic because people thought a few months ago that the opposite would be true and Jones would be the far less polished player.

Last edited:
I highly doubt Coples long term success. He seems lazy. I don't think he has the work ethic needed to be a Pro.

You can only get by on God given ability for so long in the super-competitive NFL.

Last edited:
should've just paid mario the 100m.

Ha ha, great point. Everyone (Bills fans) told me it was sour grapes all offseason) while I laughed and laughed and ridiculed the worst offseason move in the NFL. As usual, every pundit praises the Bills for "trying to win" and getting "excitement" back to Buffalo. They made a guy who is not a top-50 NFL player the highest paid in the NFL. Just because a guy is the best available FA does not mean he's the best player in the league, and he was not even the best FA out there.

When I look at Mario Williams, I see a guy who is good but not unique in any way. Chandler Jones will likely surpass him, as will a couple of other guys from this draft. JJ Watt is already playing better than Williams ever did in Houston. C Matthews, J Allen, J Harrison, T Suggs, C Wake, and a slew of other players are at least as good as him, if not better. M Williams may be paid more than these guys, but he can't hold a candle to JPP or Ware, the two players who might possibly be worth that contract, but probably they're not even worth it. I think you reserve that kind of cash for the Calvin Johnsons and Darelle Revises of the NFL- players with unique talent and no equals at their position.

Coples is a stud.. He only needs 10 more sacks to finish the season with 10 sacks.

99 more tackles to finish the season with a 100...

And 4 more years at UNC to get his college degree......

Beast MODE!!

I would say Jones fills in the Seymour role though theres obvious differences. Like Jones is quicker than Seymour, and will likely get more sacks. While Seymour was more of a power guy, and just a flat out dominant force. Come to think of it, Seymour was a cross over of Jones and Wilfork.

I highly doubt Coples long term success. He seems lazy. I don't think he has the work ethic needed to be a Pro.

You can only get by on God given ability for so long in the super-competitive NFL.

he seems like the type to make a couple of plays then take the rest of the game off.

When I look at Mario Williams, I see a guy who is good but not unique in any way. Chandler Jones will likely surpass him, as will a couple of other guys from this draft. JJ Watt is already playing better than Williams ever did in Houston.

JJ Watt is a friggin beast. There was a comment from him on NFL.com that he doesn't miss the play of Mario Williams on the texans. Maybe Mario is a little soft after *****ing about getting owned by that Austin Howard.

Last edited:
His first sack will pass Gholston on the list. The countdown is on.

Chandler Jones had a strip sack that a teammate returned for a touchdown in his first game as a pro. He's already had a better NFL career than Gholston.

Last edited:
Another dominant game by Chandler Jones.

He should've had a sack again, but was held. Outcome was the same though, with the Cardinals losing yards due to Jones being held. It just didn't count as a sack.

He hurried Kolb quite a few times.

It's a shame there is no one opposite of him applying any pressure (Ninkovich)...... I hope Cunningham gets to start soon and can play like he did in pre-season.

Jones can't do it all on his own. He's the ONLY one on the line that even threatens QBs

Chandler is an absolute stud. His ability to consistently win his individual matchups and apply pressure on the qb has allowed the pats to just send 4 on 3rd down. Chandler needs a book end on the other side to apply pressure also. If he had help on the other side, kolb wouldn't have room to roll to his right at the first sight pressure from chandler. I counted 4 legitimate sacks that he couldve had

Another dominant game by Chandler Jones.

He should've had a sack again, but was held. Outcome was the same though, with the Cardinals losing yards due to Jones being held. It just didn't count as a sack.

He hurried Kolb quite a few times.

It's a shame there is no one opposite of him kapplying any pressure (Ninkovich)...... I hope Cunningham gets to start soon and can play like he did in pre-season.

Jones can't do it all on his own. He's the ONLY one on the line that even threatens QBs

I'm glad someone else brought this up. Is it me or are we lacking a true LDE right now? Anderson leaving and Carter's injury are playing on my mind. Ninkovich is always a solid edge setter against the run (no more than solid) but he's next to useless so far at generating pressure. Yeah he got a sack, but it wasn't really his own doing. How many times did Kolb get around him after Jones flushed him?

The LDE spot has been disappointing and one of the key reasons we can't get cnsistent pressure. I'd like to see Cunningham and Bequette get some shots.

Last edited:
There was a series where the Cards went three and out where you can argue that Jones was the key defender on every single one of the plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes