Welcome to PatsFans.com

Let's talk about why the images of "war" are never shown

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Jul 8, 2008.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

and we'll use this as perspective, .... .shall we?

(this is a ThinkProgress link, for those confused, or pretending it's being hidden)

Military Kicks Out Embedded Blogger For Photographing Marine Killed In A Suicide Bombing In Iraq

On June 26, a suicide bomber attacked a meeting of tribal sheikhs in Iraq’s Anbar province and killed 20 people, including three U.S. Marines. The episode was widely reported by U.S. media. Zoriah Miller, a photojournalist and blogger embedded with U.S. Marines in Iraq, took pictures of the attack’s grisly aftermath, including one of the fallen soldiers.

[​IMG]

The U.S. military, however, was incensed at Miller’s portrayal of the horrors of war and immediately “disembedded” him from his Marine unit. IPS reports on the fall-out:

“Tuesday [Jul. 1] I awoke to a call in their combat operations centre, and the person on the phone told me they were a PAO (Public Affairs Officer) at Camp Fallujah, and he wanted me to take my blog down right away,” Miller told IPS. “I asked them why, and was told then called back after five minutes by a higher ranking PAO who claimed I had broken my contract by showing photos of dead Americans with U.S. uniforms and boots.”​

Miller said the PAO claimed he was not allowed, by the embed contract, to show dead or wounded U.S. citizens or soldiers in the field. “I never signed any contract for that,” Miller said.

Miller also told the Ventura County Star that he believed he was within the rules because the victim was unidentifiable. Additionally, he waited to post the pictures until four days after the attack. Miller said that he received strong support from the lower-ranking Marines, who “were on [his] side.”

The military may have realized its case was weak. Two days later, on July 3, Miller received an official letter with a new reason for his dismissal: He had posted “detailed information of the effectiveness of the attack” and therefore “put all U.S. forces in Iraq at greater risk for harm.” Miller explains the military’s spinning:

“The bottom line is that the thing they cited as the reason for my dismissal was ‘information the enemy could use against you’. They realised, probably from keeping track of my blog, that I was not showing identifiable features of a soldier…and they couldn’t find a reason to kick me out. Because it was a high ranking person who got killed, they were all fired up.”​

Miller concluded, “Up to that point they said it was because I showed pictures of bodies with pieces of uniform and boots. The letter, though, doesn’t mention that at all. I checked the document I had about ground rules for media embeds, and I followed them.”

Miller now plans on returning to the United States and appealing the military’s decision. “You’re a war photographer, but once you take a picture of what war is like then you get into trouble,” he said.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  2. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

and this has been going on for 5+ years...

it's laughable that so many Limbawlers will call the media "liberal" when their editors allow this to go uncontested, then turn around and pay Pentagon-trained military analysts on their panel, YET give zero air time (or pay) to peace activists...
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +244 / 9 / -26

Do not think that reporters should be "embedded".. this is a bs policy and serves no one's purpose, except for some reporter wanna be's.

If you go to war shyt happens, it ain't pretty, but none of it should be in pix on the front page.. this is wrong pure and simple. The answer is quite simple, do not go to war.
  4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

Yeah I've been wondering why the images of people jumping off the WTC, the bodies smashed on the ground, pieces of bodies in the wreckage, images of AlQueda captives getting their heads sawed off haven't been allowed in the MSM.....
  5. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +244 / 9 / -26

Funny I saw most of this, not sure about bodies in the wreckage?? Most of the victims did not have a lot of remains.. but then again do not understand the context of your answer.
  6. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

The thread is about images of death in wanot being shawn. I am commenting on images that have been censored. After the first reports subsequent reports removed the images of the bodies falling out of the towers.
  7. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Yep, that pretty much proves the media liens way to the right. :confused:
  8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Don't you think those images should be kept out of the MSM? I mean the images of people being killed, whether it's soldiers, Taliban, jumpers...My 9 year-old watches TV and reads the paper. I don't think it's good for those images to be on the front page or leading CNN for the sake of the kids. Same reason I don't want sex ed in the fourth grade. When I was a kid, images of Nam were never on TV or in the paper. Time magazine, maybe, but no kids read Time.

Know what I mean? Put those images on more mature outlets or on TV after 10.
  9. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

i think we saw this in Vietnam when they televised war(can't remember the name- Tete Offensive?). if there were pictures of real life footage of what war is truly like withdrawal would start immediately
  10. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Not that I agree that a withdrawl would start immeadiately, but your point is right on. Why the protest from the left at seeing people jumping to their deaths every Sept 11th? Why do the right protest when the photo's of caskets are lined up 50 deep?.... or likewise with Abu Garaib? Why do right to lifers want 3 month old fetus photos sucking their thumbs published and why do choicers protest that? Kind of rhetorical obviously but should we have policies be dictated by emotions?
  11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +414 / 5 / -2

They don't allow it, and haven't for a long time. In WWII censorship was more severe than it is now. They didn't show any dead Americans then either. I remember watching a show on the History Channel, and they said how there was some footage from Guadalacanal (I think, pacific battle either way), and there were dead US Marines all over the place, and recruiting dropped sharply for a couple months thereafter. Needless to say they didn't do it again. I'd have no problems showing it, but show the beheading of Nick Berg, and the people jumping off the WTC buildings. Show the carnage from AQ in Iraq upon the citizens there. Show civilians being skinned alive in Afghanistan. Everyone wants dead US soldiers shown, but you never hear them demand to see the brutality of the savage primitives we're fighting.
  12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +503 / 2 / -9

Justified or not justified There Will Always Be Wars, it is what we are.

If there were only two human beings left on this planet and they meet, the first thing they will do is
    "Have A Fight"

When Iraq starts to fade into history somewhere, sometime, another war will start, more will die, it's what we animals do, live with it and keep your guard up, hit him before he hits you then you you have a better chance of "winning"

:bricks:
  13. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

I agree. I was pointing out the selective nature of PC's outrage about censorship.
  14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +244 / 9 / -26

Not sure your age, but remember a lot of Viet Nam footage.. the most telling was the naked young girl running down the street after getting hit by napalm..

The second thing I remember I remember well are the trenches filled with dead vietnamese.. after the Calley massacre.. I remember a lot of viet nam footage, most was not pretty or sanitized.
  15. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

WTF are you talking about? That's not accurate at all, and yet another post of yours based on feeling.

No one is "rooting" for the images of one side, or the other. The images of 9/11 victims jumping and AQ atrocities were much, MUCH more available than U.S. soldier's carnage or that of innocent civilians.

The fact is, these images are being shown in the media of almost every industrial nation on earth (especially European ones)... Except for this one.

Vietnam ended, in large part, because of public outrage after the historic images in Time and other magazines. That's fairly undeniable.

It's interesting that no one is commenting on the premise of the original post, whereby a photo journalist was not showing anyone that any viewer back home could identify (as per their rules), and yet it was still censored.

This calamity has been sensored and sanitized from the get-go. Out of sight, out of mind.... And that's just how the chickenhawks want the average American.... Dumbed down and unaware.
  16. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Get bent, your habitual liar. My outrage regarding the santization of the images of war are FAR from selective.

Just shut up, fraud.
  17. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

we're all just worker ants producing and people taking.
  18. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

ROTFLMAO!! :singing:

Punked again and reduced to anger and incoherent muttering I loveit! :D
  19. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

If it's incoherent to you, then you clearly have a reading problem. There's nothing incoherent about it, and the only person "reducing" themselves are liars like yourself.

Though, I do appreciate and recognize that you're, in a round-about way, admitting you were lying and making up a strawman position that I never uttered. Typical you.
  20. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I was a little kid. Not into TV whatsoever as we were outside after school until we dropped. My parents never had the TV on unless it was raining on a Saturday when we watched Abbott and Costello or Creature Double Feature.

But I thought that those images were only in magazines for some reason. Had no idea they put that stuff on the 6 o'clock news.