Let's talk about the OL

Status
Not open for further replies.

supafly

Eff you, Shula
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
It's obviously a major part of the offense and one of our main concerns heading into TC. What would be the "ideal" OL if it were up to you? What players do you see making the 53 man roster? Let's throw some ideas out there. I'll get it started by listing three pluses and minuses.

PROS

1) Another year for vets like Solder, Vollmer, etc. Stork of course, is no longer a rookie. These are obvious positives.

2) The position was addressed in the past two drafts, particularly in the interior spots. Youth and eventual talent were added to a position that is always changing.

3) Last year's first year OL coach did a fine job, as they allowed a very reasonable total of sacks that hovered around 20 (prior to garbage time in the second half of week #17). The number "20" is notable to me, because that is where we need to have it, particularly as Brady gets older. Obviously, it's not set in stone, but "20" would be a nice goal to have moving forward.

CONS

1) Solder can be concerning, specifically due to the unknown player lining up next to him. His play naturally seems to go hand in hand with the talent at LG, so if it's a rookie it may take them longer to gel. As we saw last year, Solder certainly settled down when Connelly stepped in and calmed things down. If Solder is in line for the kind of franchise LT payday that he's likely expecting, then this line has got to be his. He has to be the experienced, veteran leader that we're all hoping him to be.

2) Cannon to me is still a right side player, specifically limited to the right side of Stork. He has primarily been used and paid as a tackle, despite our continued theories that he can play inside. If he's a tackle, it had damn well better be on the right side and not the left. If he's able to switch between RT and RG (at times), all the better. I personally don't wish to see him anywhere other than those two spots.

3) It's pretty much automatic that we're going to have a rookie day one starter, if not two. That is certainly something that warrants concern, although we all expect the area to gel as the season wears on.

Football??!!! You want to talk about football??!!!??!!!

jim-mora-playoffs.jpg

I'm excited about Shaq Mason's upside, one of my favourite prospects pre-draft. Fantastic feet when getting to the next level and an excellent technician as a run blocker. Size, of course, is his issue, especially arm length but I do think his technical ability will compensate.

I'm excited about Shaq Mason's upside, one of my favourite prospects pre-draft. Fantastic feet when getting to the next level and an excellent technician as a run blocker. Size, of course, is his issue, especially arm length but I do think his technical ability will compensate.

John Hannah would, of course, be tiny by today's standards. But how did he compare to other guards of his day?

Good breakdown of Mason's skill set.

Any thoughts on Jackson, and where would you rather see them play to start the year? Would you rather move Wendell to LG to help stabilize Solder, or would you ride out the bumps in the road with one of the rookies?

People are forgetting that Solder was coming off a cancer operation...

Good breakdown of Mason's skill set.

Any thoughts on Jackson, and where would you rather see them play to start the year? Would you rather move Wendell to LG to help stabilize Solder, or would you ride out the bumps in the road with one of the rookies?

Jackson is a RG. I don't know whether either rookie will start. There was talk about Fleming being tried out at OG so I could see Fleming and Wendell getting first team reps initially with Mason (LG) and Jackson starting only if they excel in camp and pre-season.

I'm liking the idea of Wendell at LG. It gets the veteran next to Solder and keeps Jackson, the more pro-ready rookie, at the spot he is comfortable at.

I really like Mason too, but I think he might need a year. Mason Stork Jackson sounds great to me in 2016.

Wendy allows us not to need to start two rookies but both got off to a quick start yesterday as reports were Mason and Jackson got some work in with Stork as ones on the interior. If that's your best they got a long time to work together and could be it for the next several years.

People are forgetting that Solder was coming off a cancer operation...

I don't think it should be anything that's overlooked, but testicular cancer and the removal of a testicle is normally a very successful process.

There wasn't any chemo involved, nor was there radiation, etc. Hell, Solder didn't even miss any time with it. I don't know how much that came into play. According to Solder, he didn't even know until after his physical, etc.

Good luck to him, either way.

When was the last time the Patriots had two rookie OL's in the starting lineup down the stretch of the season?

When was the last time the Patriots had two rookie OL's in the starting lineup down the stretch of the season?

Never.

Wendy will have one of the slots down by the end of camp.

No chance in hell two rookies start at both guard slots.

Not recently that I can recall.

But they had one rookie and one 2nd-year player the first time they won a Super Bowl. (Matt Light and GRR, until Light got injured in the last game and Grant Williams subbed for him effectively.)

Great memory, Fencer. Light got his knee twisted up in a late season game. I forget against who is was vs.?

So, the popular thought seems to have Wendall at LG, although Mason can see some TC looks there in the meantime, particularly while Wendell remains on PUP.

I would have to imagine that Josh Kline would be firmly in the mix as well, and could potentially back up Wendell at LG throughout the year until Mason is ready.

I'm liking the idea of Wendell at LG. It gets the veteran next to Solder and keeps Jackson, the more pro-ready rookie, at the spot he is comfortable at.

I really like Mason too, but I think he might need a year. Mason Stork Jackson sounds great to me in 2016.

No more wendell. Mason and Jackson at guard.

I don't think it should be anything that's overlooked, but testicular cancer and the removal of a testicle is normally a very successful process.

There wasn't any chemo involved, nor was there radiation, etc. Hell, Solder didn't even miss any time with it. I don't know how much that came into play. According to Solder, he didn't even know until after his physical, etc.

Good luck to him, either way.

I believe he was noticeably struggling a few games. Hey I'm no doctor, but I imagine all that's easy to say if it isn't your peach pit.:p

My attitude is, you have to throw the baby bird's from the nest if you want to move on. I agree with keeping Wendell as security, but the rooks, or other developmental players, aren't getting better if you don't let them play. If one falters, plug in Wendell, practice, then work the young players in again.

Great memory, Fencer. Light got his knee twisted up in a late season game. I forget against who is was vs.?

Well, then my memory isn't perfect. I thought Light went out in the 2nd quarter of the Super Bowl itself.

I haven't figured it out for sure via googling, but I did find one injury report that listed only two Patriots -- Brady and Light, each Probable (ankle).

Well, then my memory isn't perfect. I thought Light went out in the 2nd quarter of the Super Bowl itself.

I haven't figured it out for sure via googling, but I did find one injury report that listed only two Patriots -- Brady and Light, each Probable (ankle).
Hmm. Just don't remember. Damn. Getting old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back