PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lets talk about the Jets game next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
There are some great discussion points available. I was looking at last night's stats and I thought a couple were worth posting:

Code:
     Name 	Team 	 Opp 	     Score     Comp 	Att 	Yds 	TD 	Int 	Sck 	FUM 	Rate
Brett Favre 	 NYJ 	 @ MIA 	 W   20-14  	15 	22 	194 	2 	0 	3 	1 	125.9
Matt Cassel 	 NE 	 vs KC 	 W   17-10  	13 	18 	152 	1 	0 	2 	0 	116.0

(Scroll for the whole stat sheet)

Matt was sacked one less time than Brett. Matt passed for 42 less yards with less playing time. Matt missed 5 of 18 passes (72% comp) and Brett missed 7 of 22 passes (68% comp).

Brett fumbled once, Matt fumbled zero times (can't say the same for everyone on our team).

I don't have time to break down stats for the various positions, but to me, we're in a good position to pull out a win.

Also, let's be honest, Brett's lucky pass would have very likely been an int with NE's D on the field, if it wasn't a sack first. We're excelling on our side of the field so far.
You can say "it's ONE game" but it's NUMEROUS plays.

I know some have concerns about Matt on the road, but I think he will feel slightly LESS pressure than he did yesterday. He was prepared, but not READY. Next week he'll be both.
Discuss - football - like in the old days (aka before yesterday...).

Last edited:
agreed, I'm already sick of reading about Brady's injury and the doom and gloom that surrounds it. I go to school in Buffalo so there was a massive celebration here and it still makes me sick.
We'll let the Jets know this week, its the Patriots that have won the East five years in a row NOT Tom Brady by himself.

Are we really just unable to go on looking forward yet?

Prediction:

Matt Cassel throws for 275 yards, 3-TDs and 1 INT.

agreed, I'm already sick of reading about Brady's injury and the doom and gloom that surrounds it. I go to school in Buffalo so there was a massive celebration here and it still makes me sick.
We'll let the Jets know this week, its the Patriots that have won the East five years in a row NOT Tom Brady by himself.

I agree also - I think perhaps, MODS we need to Sticky a Brady Thread. I'm not saying that we don't need to post NEW info, but all Brady related stuff can go into that thread once they have spent some time as their own individual threads. Did any of that make sense?

Or perhaps a Brady Discussion group.

Back to the Jets. We can beat them, Hell we can beat any team out there.

I agree also - I think perhaps, MODS we need to Sticky a Brady Thread. I'm not saying that we don't need to post NEW info, but all Brady related stuff can go into that thread once they have spent some time as their own individual threads. Did any of that make sense?

Or perhaps a Brady Discussion group.

Back to the Jets. We can beat them, Hell we can beat any team out there.

Yeah, the mods need to control this place a bit. It's mayhem and some of us want to talk about football. We have to play a football game next week.
Yesterday felt like the Superbowl again, except, the next game is LESS THAN A WEEK AWAY!!

Looking over that last march down the field by the Dolphins, I think we see a JETS D that's not handling pressure real well. Can we pressure them?
I think so.

I think this is one of those games when Cassel isn't asked to do much except hand the ball off and dink and dunk all game. This is a win set up for the defense going against a QB who doesn't even know the playbook and looks old and slow. When the Dolphins came up the middle on Favre he barely escaped and heaved the ball up Rex Grossman style. You know Belichick is going to give him some funky looks on defense so expect some big mistakes.

As far as the Jets running the ball on Sunday forget about it. Thomas Jones s*cks and is not a threat so Favre will have to win it for them. The Jets best weapon is Washington on screen passes but how many of those can they throw before the defense gets hip to it, not many.

Anyone know if Jets/Miami is going to be on NFL replay? I'd like to watch to see how Favre really did. Michael Strahan was saying on the Fox show (and was being shouted down by the other hosts who think Favre is the greatest) that his 2nd TD pass was "nothing but luck".

Geez I hope we can win this game. How did the Jets do against the run? They stunk last year, but I noticed that Miami's RBs didn't get that much yardage. I thought our running game looked really solid yesterday, and with Faulk returning this week, we can only get better. If we can run on them and make a few plays in the passing game, I think we have a good shot.

Anyone know if Jets/Miami is going to be on NFL replay? I'd like to watch to see how Favre really did. Michael Strahan was saying on the Fox show (and was being shouted down by the other hosts who think Favre is the greatest) that his 2nd TD pass was "nothing but luck".

Geez I hope we can win this game. How did the Jets do against the run? They stunk last year, but I noticed that Miami's RBs didn't get that much yardage. I thought our running game looked really solid yesterday, and with Faulk returning this week, we can only get better. If we can run on them and make a few plays in the passing game, I think we have a good shot.

He gambled a lot. Bill likes Gamblers. For breakfast.

I was going to start an analysis thread about yesterday's game (MINUS the injury), just to see what some here thought of the rest of the plays and positions.

There are some threads about O'Neal and a few others but I'm curious what our resident analysts think of yesterday's game outside of Brady/Cassel.

I know it's hard to leave Brady/cassel out of the equation BUT honestly cassel's play did nothing to diminish other parts of the team's play.

So aside from Cassel, what about our OL, ST, WR's etc? I didn't bother to start a thread because it would probably get somewhat lost today.

So aside from Cassel, what about our OL, ST, WR's etc? I didn't bother to start a thread because it would probably get somewhat lost today.

I've been working hard to keep air in this one, hehe.

I loved Deltha's play, I'll be honest. O'Neil and Hobbs could very well start next week. Love to hear thoughts by Metaphors and the other forum analysts.

Morris was awesome too. Same with Maroney.

I forgot to watch the O-Line much, but with all those sacks and stopped runs I'm gonna have to guess it was far from awesome. How does the Jets D stack up against our O-Line on paper? I think Morris and Maroney may very well both start having 100+ yard games each after all.

I still think the pats are going to win this game. I will not be a blow out but it will be a win. EDIT : And shut up those moron fans that are celebrating now!

Last edited:
He gambled a lot. Bill likes Gamblers. For breakfast.

I just read a quote on MMQB where Brett was bragging (in his "aw shucks" way) that several times during the game in the huddle he said "Same play, let's break, whatever." as his play call. Peter King also mentioned the Jests kicker is injured and couldn't play for most of the game yesterday. If the defense can step it up & play smashmouth, disciplined D, I think we can win this one.

I was going to start an analysis thread about yesterday's game (MINUS the injury), just to see what some here thought of the rest of the plays and positions.

There are some threads about O'Neal and a few others but I'm curious what our resident analysts think of yesterday's game outside of Brady/Cassel.

I know it's hard to leave Brady/cassel out of the equation BUT honestly cassel's play did nothing to diminish other parts of the team's play.

We had very good run defense yesterday. Pass defense, not so great. KC didn't have much of a passing game plan it seemed, and Croyle suffered a few drops in the first half, particuarly by Bowe. Once Huard came in they looked better. Pats were playing "bend don't break" as they seemed to be allowing a short catch and going for the tackle. The Pats pass rush improved as the game went on. Croyle, in particular, seemed to get a lot of time back there early on. They need to get to Favre early this week so that he doesn't get into gun-slinging mode. If they can do that, combined with continued good run defense, we should win this game.

What has changed in all games is that the Pats are no longer sure

winners. Their 53 players are still better than the other team's

53 players. If the Pats' players play up to potential and Cassel does

not commit numerous mistakes, the Pats can still have a winning

season. Winning the Superbowl would be a stretch. I do expect them

to employ a dull, vanilla offense the rest of the season.

I do expect them

to employ a dull, vanilla offense the rest of the season.

Not so sure on this. Cassel said on D&C this morning that they didn't change the offense for him and that they plays called were ones that would have been called had Brady been in the game. They did try a flea flicker (although it ended in a sack) and that pass to Moss from the goal-line certainly was unexpected and very "un-vanilla". I don't think they'll be vanilla, although they will rely on the running game more (thank God we beefed that up this off season). Going vanilla would be a waste of Moss and Welker, two of your strengths which are left.

So... bump?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing