PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's talk about Roy Williams (safety)

Status
Not open for further replies.
guess what, Absurdly Metro? I actually watch the games. When you pay as much as us in the UK have too, you will watch every game you can.

And it is my opinion, and that of almost ALL cowboys fans that Roy Williams stinks. You say that the long runs by the cowboys allowed against the ravens wouldn't have happened if he had played. How do you, or anyone else know? My opinion is based on what i saw, when he played. He didn't play in that ravens game, so its kinda a pointless thing to bring up. No-one will know if he would have made a difference

He hasn't been good since Woodsen retired, thats fact

Anyone have any objective thoughts on the idea?

Roy Williams couldn't cover a lawn chair. The comparison to Harrison is ridiculous. Acquisition REJECTED!

I know 'Boys fans are down on him and very well may be damaged goods physically and mentally, but the guy is a former a 5-time Pro Bowler and 1st team All-Pro and played very well when Tuna ran the show down there. When Tuna was coach, he nabbed 17 INTs in 5 seasons and averaged about 10+ passes-defensed per year and layed down some serious lumber in the process. He may not be a supreme cover guy, but he has/had ball-skills no question. Unless he is going through some kind of a Terry Glenn period in his life or has phyically broken down, he certainly warrants some consideration as a 20-30 play-per-game SS in this system. The key questions are what I mentioned earlier (health and mental state) and can he pick up this defense.

I would still love him as a nickel linebacker replacing Guyton.

Williams does fit the mold of a BB late in career pickup.
Early in his career he was very overrated. Later in his career he was very underrated.
The truth lies in the middle: He's not as good as the pro-bowl appearances made it seem, and he's not as bad as most people are now saying he is. The price, however, is dictated by him currently being underrated, meaning a bargain.
All thats left is for BB to decide whether the bargain can give him what he needs on the field.

It should be noted Williams hasn't recorded a sack or forced a fumble since 2005. However in 2006 he did have 5 INTs. I would really like the inside story on this guy. I know hes below-ave in coverage, but man he was so productive.

If he could somehow rediscover his love for football, get his ego checked at the door, buy into this system and come close to what he was from 2002-2006 that would and outstanding aquisition.

As an experiment, with nothing to lose...I'd be willing to give him a shot. I think the knocks on him have been expressed quite well in this thread, so there's no need to expound on them. I'd be willing to defer to BB on whether or not he'd be a useful asset and could pick up the defense and produce. I know there was a lot of talent there at one time and that the environment he comes from wasn't the best to harness that talent. If anyone could do it, it would be BB, but I also don't think he's near a Rodney Harrison in that comparison.

As an experiment, with nothing to lose...I'd be willing to give him a shot. I think the knocks on him have been expressed quite well in this thread, so there's no need to expound on them. I'd be willing to defer to BB on whether or not he'd be a useful asset and could pick up the defense and produce. I know there was a lot of talent there at one time and that the environment he comes from wasn't the best to harness that talent. If anyone could do it, it would be BB, but I also don't think he's near a Rodney Harrison in that comparison.

Perhaps a Bodden deal? The guy might be overrated but lets say half of his five Pro Bowl appearances were legit. At least some time in his career he must have been decent. He did run a 4.45 so he does have some speed. His stats don't prove he was a bad tackler but who knows?

"We need the dues"

DW Toys

Last edited:
Williams does fit the mold of a BB late in career pickup.
Early in his career he was very overrated. Later in his career he was very underrated.
The truth lies in the middle: He's not as good as the pro-bowl appearances made it seem, and he's not as bad as most people are now saying he is. The price, however, is dictated by him currently being underrated, meaning a bargain.
All thats left is for BB to decide whether the bargain can give him what he needs on the field.

I think this comment wraps up this thread in a nutshell. Belichick is the ultimate talent evaluator, and we still don't know what his asking price is. Great point in his value right now being very underrated, that certainly will factor in the decision, if there is one to be made

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back