Welcome to PatsFans.com

Let's talk about Roy Williams (safety)

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by JSn, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JSn

JSn Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

I thought of typing this post in phonetic Bostonian and then realized how freaking hard that would be.

Solomon Wilcots has said this on Sirius:

Now if we all take off the goggles and recognize Harrison's fame for wrecking players, maybe this idea gets a little less off-putting.

I feel like I'd rather have a rehabbed Rodney back, but maybe this turns into a cheaper way to go and replaces the Tank Williams experiment.

Anyone have any objective thoughts on the idea?
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  2. bobbybigdrum

bobbybigdrum Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I like him if they don't expect too much from a coverage standpoint. However if Rodney comes back is there really a fit for Roy Williams here? They are kind of the same guy at this point in their careers.
  3. Brettlax3434

Brettlax3434 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I agree with the rodney thing and I do believe BB would use roy well, but didnt he mention that the kind of saftey he wants is a guy who's more of a coverage guy earlier this off season? or did he say somthing else?
  4. JSn

JSn Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

There was some discussion on the evaluation of the position. I don't think it eliminates the need for an skull-smasher at SS, but Meri was wicked in blitzing this year and maybe a guy who covers and can get sacks has more value when you ahve guys like Mayo and Guyton at ILB who can actually chase down faster TE's and slot guys.

5. BritPat

BritPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +135 / 2 / -2

#54 Jersey

Please just stop. We've had this already, and I'd rather see Stephen Hawkings playing at Safety personally.
  6. JSn

JSn Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

EPIC FAIL in so many ways. Thanks for joining in, captain pointless.
  7. PatsChamp88

PatsChamp88 Rookie

Ratings:
    +41 / 3 / -0

#75 Jersey

Lets not and say we did

(Anyone who has watched NFL for the past four years knows exactly why and how many threads does this guy need you'd think we were signing the WR)
  8. JSn

JSn Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

I was hoping for a clutter free thread on the topic.
    I get the sense he's the sort of guy everyone will gripe about unless he signs and then it will suddenly qualify as a brilliant.
  9. Canada's #1 Pats Fan

Canada's #1 Pats Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

or Adam Seward
  10. satz

satz Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

This guy cannot cover anyone which includes your and my grand mother so what the hell you want him for.

Harrison might not be fast to cover WR but completely shutdown clark and gates in crucial games and you want to put him their!!!

do not give me the whole play in the box that will work when you play against herm edwards you put him against manning or penny or any decent qb he will kill you with a TE.
  11. Dagg

Dagg Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

No thanks he cant cover a text book.
  12. NEGoldenAge

NEGoldenAge Banned

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Roy Williams fails the character test to become a Patriot. IMO, he should have been thrown out of the league a long time ago. F--- him, he's the only player I've ever wished an injury on.
  13. mcsully

mcsully Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 3 / -0

Is Harrison even guaranteed to make the roster? After watching his play go down last year, yes it went down before the injury, I think he might not even make the team. He's not a step slower but two or three steps slower... It was very visible last year.. ANd now with an added injury and a year older, I think this position needs some major upgrades..

Years ago Harrison was cut because he couldn't cover.. People remember one or two games with this guy and think he can't cover.. Check out Williams stats before that lame duck coach took over.. Not to bad.. And He's very talented in many ways.. But maybe the cowboys were not using his strengths..
  14. nowayback

nowayback Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I think he could be a good fit here, but would it be better to draft a safety in 1 or 2nd round and work him in...and cheaper.

if Roy comes cheap...why not.

and about his coverage...why.. who couild cover the last 2 years on the pats. 3rd and long anyone? without a pass rush, forget about pass coverage.
  15. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0

First comparison that came to mu mind was John Lynch. Lynch was a better tackler and better against the run than Williams. But BB released him due to his coverage issues even though he was a player he had tried to bring in previously and highly respected. I'm thinking that if BB couldn't find a roster spot for Lynch, then the chances of Roy Williams becoming a Pat are slim and none.
  16. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +21 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

"I was hoping for a clutter free thread on the topic."......:rofl::rofl::rofl:
  17. spacecrime

spacecrime Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

He might not get to the receiver, but at least he would take the right angle, which is more than Williams ever did!
  18. spacecrime

spacecrime Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Brillilant. Pass coverage ability is irrelevant for a DB. I see some of us are already in June form.
  19. fair catch fryar

fair catch fryar Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

I hope you meant to say that SD cut him because they THOUGHT he couldn't cover.
  20. WelshPat

WelshPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The problem with Roy williams is that people just assume he hits hard and cant cover.... when in fact he can't do either. He was a huge hitter when he first came into the league... but he can't tackle anymore.

From what i saw last year, there are no strengths to his game. He was so bad, special teamer Keith Davies got to start over him, even when williams was healthy. Thats the equivalent of Harrison being benched for Ventrone/slater.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.