PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's Spend Some Time Looking At OL Money and Future

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Before we think that this is all a no-brainer, might I remind everyone that Belichick just signed Cannon to a contract that will pay him more than $4.5M this year and more than $3.5M in 2016. The amount was a surprise to one and all.
=============
SOLDER - cut, accept his $7.45M 2015 compensation and cap hit, or sign a long-term deal
CONNOLLY - UFA, $3M should do it (some think $2M) for a 2-year transition to a rookie draftee
STORK - minimal first contract, signed through 2017
WENDELL - about $2M a year, signed through 2016
VOLLMER - sign his bonus before March 10 or not; new money is $5M, signed through 2016
CANNON - more tha $4.5M for 2015, signed through 2016
FLEMING - minimal first contract, signed through 2017
KLINE, DEVEY and BARKER have all played some as interior linemen; HAUPTMANN has not played.
========
IF NOTHING MAJOR HAPPENS
We have all the above, will likely draft a couple of guards, and will likely re-sign Connolly. We might need an OT in 2016 and might draft one.
======
OPPORTUNITIES BEFORE MARCH 10
1) Cut or extend Vollmer.
2) Cut or extend Solder.

Last edited:
Vollmer's deal was tweaked fairly late last season, to make his incentives easier to reach. Does that prevent any subsequent moves?

Extend the Tackles. Guys played lights out when they had to. Unless the feel Cannon is ready to start

Cut Connolly, keep Wendell as a veteran backup. Still see them working Cannon at guard in camp. Recall he didn't play there at all in camp, then was thrown in. I think he is a big guy that need repetitions to feel comfortable. He was slow but steady improving at tackle.

Two 3s and4s in the draft, Fleming and others competing. I think we end up with some stronger guys at guard a year later.

Vollmer's deal was tweaked fairly late last season, to make his incentives easier to reach. Does that prevent any subsequent moves?
I don't think that there is a rule prohibiting a restructure or extension of Vollmer's deal during the 2015 season.

Cut Connolly, keep Wendell as a veteran backup. Still see them working Cannon at guard in camp. Recall he didn't play there at all in camp, then was thrown in. I think he is a big guy that need repetitions to feel comfortable. He was slow but steady improving at tackle.

Two 3s and4s in the draft, Fleming and others competing. I think we end up with some stronger guys at guard a year later.

I agree with bringing in guards in order to be stronger at guard a year later.

However, I would note that we need two starting guards for 2015, in addition to two backups, one of which also needs to play center.

I have no idea what to make of Solder. Was good in the playoffs for the most part. Whole line was lights out against the Colts and held up well vs Seattle and Baltimore for the most part. We all thought Suggs would eat him for breakfast and ended up holding him to just half a sack. Wouldn't mind developing a more consistent replacement but until then have to extend him. Just not sure what kind of money he commands at this point. But, hey big props to him for turning it around in the playoffs.

I have no idea what to make of Solder. Was good in the playoffs for the most part. Whole line was lights out against the Colts and held up well vs Seattle and Baltimore for the most part. We all thought Suggs would eat him for breakfast and ended up holding him to just half a sack. Wouldn't mind developing a more consistent replacement but until then have to extend him. Just not sure what kind of money he commands at this point. But, hey big props to him for turning it around in the playoffs.

I've fine with signing Solder to a long-term deal. The question is whether the team can come to an agreement. If not, $7.45M is a lot for a one-year rental.

I've seen no analysis that make much sense out of paying Cannon over $4.5M for his 2015 services.

Agreed. The only scenario I can even come close to seeing make any sense would be if they felt that Cannon is going to provide starting tackle services in the near future. Personally, I don't want to see either one of Solder/Vollmer go though.

Another thought would be Cannon's (supposed) versatility, and maybe they feel that he could provide starting quality interior OL help. I'm not sure that I would agree, as I see him as nothing more than a RT.

Last edited:
I've seen no analysis that make much sense out of paying Cannon over $4.5M for his 2015 services.

Only one that is plausible is he has a naked picture of BB.

Connolly is a better player than Wendell but he is a lot older too. We need to replace both guards but i'd be happy keeping both if the money is right as backups.

well, I think cannon already got 1m of that, so it's more like he gets 3.5m this year in cash counting 2.5 against the cap.
if I'm reading that right.

is that outrageous?
I think being a possible 3rd tackle is what pimps his $$ up
can't have too many tackles -- ask the titans

edit: and you don't have to cut connolly -- he's fa

Before we think that this is all a no-brainer, might I remind everyone that Belichick just signed Cannon to a contract that will pay him more than $4.5M this year and more than $3.5M in 2016. The amount was a surprise to one and all.

Wasn't a surprise to me. Pat Kirwin, who has worked on personnel stuff for Belichick, lists a third swing tackle as essential depth on an NFL team. Cannon, who can subsitute at both tackle positions and play guard is a valuable part of the Pats o-line rotation. If Belichick paid him $4 million a year or whatever, it's because that's the going market price for capable NFL swing tackle.

What do you do if Solder or Vollmer goes down for 6 weeks? Just write off the season?

Wasn't a surprise to me. Pat Kirwin, who has worked on personnel stuff for Belichick, lists a third swing tackle as essential depth on an NFL team. Cannon, who can subsitute at both tackle positions and play guard is a valuable part of the Pats o-line rotation. If Belichick paid him $4 million a year or whatever, it's because that's the going market price for capable NFL swing tackle.

What do you do if Solder or Vollmer goes down for 6 weeks? Just write off the season?

Understood that Cannon's versatility is what attracted the Pats to him on a 2nd deal, I just think he's nothing more than a RT.

That said, we could move Vollmer over to LT (and probably would), should Solder go down for any length of time.

I didn't see much from Cannon during his tries at guard--although it's quite possible the coaches did.

I agree with bringing in guards in order to be stronger at guard a year later.

However, I would note that we need two starting guards for 2015, in addition to two backups, one of which also needs to play center.

If we keep wendell as a swing man any other center would be extra (and many guards play some).

Well, we aren't paying him. However, if they do think with an off season, preseason and practice he could be at least a swing man, that justifies the salary more.

Had it happened last offseason, I wouldn't have been surprised at all. Coming off what appeared to be a down year, though, it seemed likely the team would just let him find a starting job elsewhere.

Obviously, they think he's closer to the guy who started half the season on a near-dominant run blocking unit and not the guy who scuffled this year as an occasional sub and 6th lineman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back