PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's say we DO get into the playoffs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgssand

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of posts doubting we will get in. Too tough, we need to win out and need help along they way.

But, IF we do get in....is there a team that scares you??

Tenn.......we can beat that team, look at their schedule and their team, I think they are very beatable.

Colts...sure we are ridiculously injured compared to when we last played and should have beaten them.....but, they have their own injury issues and are also not what they were. We can beat them too.

Ravens...great "D" but our "O" is not too shabby and we can stop them.

Steelers....as long as we get up on them as we should have in Foxboro, we can beat them.

Broncos - we know that offense, we practice against it all the time and while they are better than when we killed them, we can beat them again.

Jets - please, I realize playing them means we are wild card and that is not likely, but we would kill them.

Dolphins - same as Jets, we are a better team and would win.

Looking to the NFC.....give me a rematch with the Giants, PLEASE.

About the only team that really scares me right now - Carolina Panthers.

Thoughts??

Re: Let's say we DO get into the playoffs......

the colts and jets can throw the ball, and the patriots are not very good at pass defense so I would be affraid of the Jets and the colts.

But our recent games against them and the fact that matt cassel is a pretty good QB gives me hope.

I would be worried about the Titans, Steelers, and Colts. Titans have a tough all-around defense and Chris Johnson is a mismatch against our defense. Steelers for reasons we already saw this season, their pass rush is ferocious. Colts have a fast defense that seems to give the Patriots fits, and Manning can lead his offense down the field at will.

Oh yes .. The jets can throw the ball .. remember 3rd and fuggin 15 .. ?

Nobody....... and everybody.

There ain't a team in the NFL that the Patriots can't beat if the Patriots execute. There won't be a team in the playoffs that is not capable of beating the Patriots if the other team executes.

Not one team really scares me in particular. The Giants did before losing Plax but now not so much.

The part that scares me is the Pats having to beat 4 great teams in a row, when we haven't put together a solid win streak this whole season. With all the bonehead errors we seem to pull in the tough games it's hard to see us going all the way. It's possible if the team can focus game in game out the way they used to, but that focus just doesn't seem to be there this year. We shall see though.

Thoughts - we'll be a very different team by then, if we're in. We'll be riding a three game win streak, and depending what rumors you listen to, might have some of the walking wounded back closer to full strength. And of course... anything (cough, NYGiants, cough,) can happen.

Where would I put the odds of a SB run? Way on the outside. But sometimes you do draw the inside straight... so for christ's sake, until it's over, I wish we'd stop coming up with pronouncements that it is.

You're a gigantic homer with a completely biased and unrealistic view of the National Football League. No offense.

I am a homer (and proud of it), but, I am also a realist. I am well aware of our weaknesses, worrisome defensive backfield, injury plague with LB'ers spreading to "D" line and proclivity to pull a Buress at any moment (shooting themselves in the foot/leg).

However, the purpose of the post was to look at our strengths and opponents weaknesses as opposed to the other way around which is what the haters and negative folks seem to like to do around here these days.

Care to show me your "unbiased" and "realistic" view of the NFL?

And your wrong about offense, we really do have a VERY good offense and it's clicking on all cylinders. Maybe, just maybe, well enough to get us into the playoffs and beyond.

if we make it to the playoffs, all we need is superman to show up in our front 7 and we can easily win the championship. anyone friends with jorell

Any team with a vowel in its name, the way our injuries are. But it could be a wonderful Cinderella season, just like 2001. Nobody would expect us to win, we might fly in under the radar like the Giants (God forsake them) last year.

The only team I would not want to face in the playoffs would be the Colts. A match up with the Steelers would also be very tough.

If the Pats get in as a wild card most likely the Jets who I think they can beat again as they did and the most likely the Titans. They are physical. but can be beaten. If it's the Division crown, could be Maimi, Jets or Ravens. With home field it's all OK. Then the Steelers bring them on.

Thoughts - we'll be a very different team by then, if we're in. We'll be riding a three game win streak, and depending what rumors you listen to, might have some of the walking wounded back closer to full strength. And of course... anything (cough, NYGiants, cough,) can happen.

Where would I put the odds of a SB run? Way on the outside. But sometimes you do draw the inside straight... so for christ's sake, until it's over, I wish we'd stop coming up with pronouncements that it is.

Agreed, except it'd actually be a 4-game winning streak. We'd be a hot football team entering the playoffs when the odds were stacked against our team getting there. We'd basically be playing with house money at that point.

I guess it depends who you define scared - there isn't a team I think the Pats have no chance against. So if that is how you define scared, then none.

If you define scred as a team I think would have an excellent chance to beat the Pats in a 1 game situation- then every playoff team and numerous non-playoff teams are scary.

Lots of posts doubting we will get in. Too tough, we need to win out and need help along they way.

Tenn.......we can beat that team, look at their schedule and their team, I think they are very beatable.

Colts...sure we are ridiculously injured compared to when we last played and should have beaten them.....but, they have their own injury issues and are also not what they were. We can beat them too.

Ravens...great "D" but our "O" is not too shabby and we can stop them.

Steelers....as long as we get up on them as we should have in Foxboro, we can beat them.

Broncos - we know that offense, we practice against it all the time and while they are better than when we killed them, we can beat them again.

Jets - please, I realize playing them means we are wild card and that is not likely, but we would kill them.

Dolphins - same as Jets, we are a better team and would win.

Looking to the NFC.....give me a rematch with the Giants, PLEASE.

About the only team that really scares me right now - Carolina Panthers.

Thoughts??

"Let's say we DO get into the playoffs..."

Then we're FAHKED!

To me the Colts and Steelers of the last number of weeks have looked head and shoulders above the rest of the AFC. Manning rounding into form makes the Colts as dangerous as ever, and the Steelers D is making plays at an unreal rate.

I remain as unconvinced by Baltimore (rookie QB will still be rookie QB), Tenn (weeks 16 and 17 could convince me), NYJ (defense, pass defense especially), Miami (as average as average can be), Denver (dangerous in one-off games) as I do by our Patriots (3rd down defense, 1 year starter at QB).

I favor the more pshyical, pound it out teams than I do the great offenses in a matchup. Passing offenses will kill us.

To me the Colts and Steelers of the last number of weeks have looked head and shoulders above the rest of the AFC. Manning rounding into form makes the Colts as dangerous as ever, and the Steelers D is making plays at an unreal rate.

I remain as unconvinced by Baltimore (rookie QB will still be rookie QB), Tenn (weeks 16 and 17 could convince me), NYJ (defense, pass defense especially), Miami (as average as average can be), Denver (dangerous in one-off games) as I do by our Patriots (3rd down defense, 1 year starter at QB).

No argument here - Steelers & Colts are the teams to beat.

That said, we had the Colts until we gave it way (assuming we could have stopped their final drive - big assumption) and we had the Steelers for the first half until we were unable to convert countless opportunities and then turn the ball over 5 freaking times.

Colts...Manning as scary as it gets, but, their running game is not strong and they have "O" line problems. Jeff Saturday has been in and out all year. Their "D" is very banged up with a weak secondary.

Steelers - scary "D" but not unbeatable, IF you make them play from behind. Get a lead on them and they cannot play Blitzburgh anymore as they must respect the running game. Also, getting up on them forces Big Ben into situations he often screws up.

IF we get into the playoffs and IF we advance to play these teams, of course we would be 7-10 point underdogs.

Lots of IFs above, but I wouldn't ever bet against NE.

If this team wins out, and gets in, than anything is possible.
The comments about being hot going in, and playing with house money at that point are dead-on.
Winning the next 3, 2 of which are on the road, in december, would really strenghthen this team IMO. The new infusion of vet leadership (Colvin & Seau) should help.

So, theoretically, what I'm saying is that the Pats team that wins out and makes the playoffs will be a stronger team than the team we are seeing right now.
With that in mind, I think we could go deep, IF we get in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back