Welcome to PatsFans.com

Let's keep things in perspective

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Crazy Patriot Guy, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Crazy Patriot Guy

Crazy Patriot Guy Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1

#11 Jersey

People outside the New England fan base are already making the Patriots the favorites for Super Bowl 42.

We came within a 1st down of being in the Super Bowl this season. We've added AD and Welker and with those two alone look to have really improved the team. Let's not make the mistake though of thinking it's that easy.

I'll always remember the Bills fans back in 2002. They had played us down to the wire both games in 01 and weren't even that good. All the Bills fans mentioned that, then said adding Bledsoe will obviously put them over the top. Their overall record improved but we beat the piss out of them both times.

Same with the Miami fans this year. They had finished the season strong and added Cullpepper. They were going to take over the East. Look how that worked out.

We should be better. We're not close to being done this offseason and already we look better on paper. But other teams change too. Some will get better, some will get worse.

I just don't think we should be making hotel reservations in Arizona already.
  2. WhiZa

WhiZa Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

so basically WE'RE DOOMED
  3. Oswlek

Oswlek Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

I agree that people do go overboard sometimes, but this situation is nothing like normal, "Holy crap! They were 10-6 last year and they signed Player X! That fills their one hole and now they will only get better!" circumstance.

Normally two things are prevailing when this happens.

1) The team is an up-and-comer
    2) The teams record was inflated by circumstance.

Neither of these apply to NE. If anything they are exactly the opposite.

As always, injuries will affect everything, but I will be very surpirsed if NE wins less than 12 games next year.
  4. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +838 / 5 / -3

I think the Pats are a favorite for the Super Bowl. It is far too early to label anyone the overall favorite though.
  5. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0

Even with their schedule....... :cool:

I don't think they are done either. Value shopping ain't even started yet (actually it has, but well.... you know what I mean ;) )
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  6. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

Let's face it.... anything less than a Superbowl Victory will be looked upon as a failure. They will have the same mentality of the 49ers of the 80's. I'm sure losing like they did made them feel ill, presently makes them feel ill, and will continue to make them feel ill until they win another.
  7. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +437 / 6 / -9

Zackly.

We have upgraded with Thomas and treaded water with the three other pickups. I think they're good necessity moves, but did not make the Pats more of a threat (okay, Welker adds great depth on STs, and we all like him as a receiver... but it's not like adding a Javon Walker or someone. He's JAG, but with VERSATILITY, and at a primary position where JAGs are the order of the day.)

Now, you could say adding that depth is exactly what we need to make it... and you'd be right. It just doesn't make us, ahem, a lights-out SB favorite.

PFnV