PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's hear it for the "homers"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Well since we gotta wait two weeks for the Pats' next game, I figured I would give a shout out to all us homers who had to take a lot of crap this preseason and offseason because we subscribe to the philosophy of "In Bill We Trust".

Kudos to everyone who stood by Belichick and Brady and company while being abused for being homers. We had to fight against the "the game has passed Belichick by", "Brady has lost his passion for football" (or the alternative "Football just isn't important to Brady anymore"), and "We only have so many years left with Brady and Belichick isn't giving him the weapons" crowds.

I would like to say that I am not one to pat myself on the back for being right, but we all know I would be lying. :D Actually, I just wanted to give everyone who stood strong against all the Chicken Littles a thread to feel vindicated for your convictions. I figured I would wait until the Pats are either eliminated from the playoffs or win the Super Bowl, but it is going to be a long two weeks to kill. Besides, win or lose the Super Bowl, this year has far exceeded everyone's expectations.

Last edited:
Homerville is enjoying a boom period once again. With the bandwagon full and the Kool Aid bars doing brisk business. Fair weather has been locked into the Homerville area for several weeks.

Early this year the Homerville was in a recession, but had bounced back nicely. :rocker:

Wonder when the "sips not chugs" guy comments on this?

I was thinking that we were going to go 14-2 and win the SB before the season began. However, I must admit that was the homer in me and I have a lot of dreams like that with the Patriots. I did not expect them to finish here after the season started and especially when they traded Moss.

I Endeavoured to Persevere through the savage negative attacks that occured on a weekly basis.

Seriously constructive examination is one thing but constant petty negativity and over the top doom and gloom is another. For example posting that Brady doesn't seem to be in rythem or not playing well is one thing posting that Brady is done because he has a super model wife or his hair is to long is another.

Posting that a receiver is not having a good game is one thing, posting that so and so should be released because they dropped a couple of passes is another.

Last edited:
+ 1 I love this thread.

When Randy Moss was traded, the homers took a huge beating on this board.

Let me say this (and I know it sounds insulting) but anyone who has been watching the Patriots for a long time knows that the confidence in this coach and QB is like nothing we could have ever imagined experiencing. I strongly feel it's the younger crowd that is so hypercritical and a little doubtful of Belichick and Brady. Those of us that have been around would NEVER make that mistake.

Plus, it's the absolute height of arrogance to question Belichick's mode of operations at this point. Yes, I look and hindsight and can say that the Deion Branch trade was a mistake, but it seems like Belichick acknowledges that too. He's human, he makes mistakes. But the point is, you have to be freakin' omniscient to call it a mistake when Belichick makes the call. It seems the final assessment only comes a long long time after the fact, and by then it makes you look foolish to knock him at all.

I don't think of the Sips guy as one of the big chicken littles, there are many others that are much more petty or delusional. They seem to think that no one should Ever drop a pass, miss a block, get thrown on, miss a tackle, lose their footing etc. If they do any of these things they should be benched or cut. They seem to believe that the Pats have to win 45-0 every game, and the the opposing team and couches are a bunch of chumps that don't get paid.

Last edited:

If you are talking about who I think you are, he is more of a contrarian than a Chicken Little. If you say the sky is blue, he'd argue it is green.

shout out to patspyscho. His prediction on this D has come true. Well except Moore, but who could have seen that one?:eek:

i thought the pats would go 12 and 4 and win the division and be better without randy moss. i just coudnt see a team with the best coach and qb not being really good. hats off to the pats homos lol

Has anyone put captain stone and Hey Bro! on the suicide watch yet?

It must be total torture for them to watch "their team" doing well.

Has anybody seen Teenuh lately?

I hear they are in a support group along with WEEI famous callers like Dakota from Braintree (who lost a lot of money betting on his prediction that the Pats would win no more than 6 games this season) and Steve from Fall River (who is still complaining that the Pats should have drafted Bob Sanders for his quality 2-3 games a season).

My preseason prediction (more hope) was for 11-5 with the young D gaining experience and gelling after T-giving. I made sure my brother picked Brady for his fantasy football team because I saw alot of 45-34 games.

If you are talking about who I think you are, he is more of a contrarian than a Chicken Little. If you say the sky is blue, he'd argue it is green.

A rational contrarian is one thing. A Pavlovian, automatic-knee-jerk contrarian ("no! the sky is green!") is a different thing altogether.

My pre-season prediction of 16-0 was off by two games...but I will take it.

My pre-season prediction of 16-0 was off by two games...but I will take it.

Heh... I was still saying 12-4 and taking cr@p about it from guys at the local watering hole. Nice to be on the plus-side of that one. :)

+ 1 I love this thread.

When Randy Moss was traded, the homers took a huge beating on this board.

Let me say this (and I know it sounds insulting) but anyone who has been watching the Patriots for a long time knows that the confidence in this coach and QB is like nothing we could have ever imagined experiencing. I strongly feel it's the younger crowd that is so hypercritical and a little doubtful of Belichick and Brady. Those of us that have been around would NEVER make that mistake.

Plus, it's the absolute height of arrogance to question Belichick's mode of operations at this point. Yes, I look and hindsight and can say that the Deion Branch trade was a mistake, but it seems like Belichick acknowledges that too. He's human, he makes mistakes. But the point is, you have to be freakin' omniscient to call it a mistake when Belichick makes the call. It seems the final assessment only comes a long long time after the fact, and by then it makes you look foolish to knock him at all.

Plus Ten!

I've been rooting for the laundry since the Pats drafted Plunkett. These are golden years for all of us fans, and the problem, I believe, with a lot of the younger set who complain so much is that they haven't that experience to gauge this team's performances against those of past years.

There were some damned fine teams in the previous decades, but none as consistent as this one. We are truly in Sports Nirvana.

Have to admit I was skeptical because I saw the defense surrender 24, 28, and 30 points in their first three games. I was encouraged with the Miami game, but the Baltimore game made me think the team could have a good year because they had beaten a good team in a close game - something they really hadn't done the last few seasons. Last season I wanted to "believe" after the JAX game because JAX was a supposed good team, fighting for the playoffs and the Pats dusted them 31-7 I think....
This 2010 has the most in common with the 04 Patriots because they were a dominant team and they got better as the season progressed, unlike the 07 Patriots who played their best football in the first 10 games or so. In 04, the Pats won games by 25, 7, had a hiccup in a 1 point loss @ MIA, then won by 16 and 14 to close out the season. I compare that to this season when the Pats won by 42, 29, had a "hiccup" against GB and WON by 4, then won by 31 and 31. I just hope the post season results are the same...GO PATS!

Last edited:
Brady's become too Hollywood.

I think of all us homers the one due the most kudos is Andy because he's withstood the most overt abuse over fighting the good fight. There is nothing wrong with being positive if you have a rational basis (which is something Bill and Tom and this team have provided him for a decade now) for believing things will work out. There is nothing noble about being negative or critical when you're doing it purely on the basis of insisting it's the only way to be objective.

Homers get accused all the time of insisting BB is perfect and above reproach. With few exceptions that is not at all what we are saying. Like the song says, we're just convinced he is (and Tom is and the organization is) close enough to perfect for us...and nobody is closer despite all the selective kneejerk hype they garner for their fleeting moments of accomplishment. Consistency is the ultimate goal and the basis for believing there is nothing sheepish in admitting IBBWT. I questioned Bill's judgement on Randy Moss and it turns out he was right in the short term but I was in the long run...and the fact that he could see that and see past the siren song of freakish talent or hype to what really mattered which was system fit and heart of a champion means we were both right... kinda like with Bledsoe Brady. Which he where he initially earned my trust. :D

Well since we gotta wait two weeks for the Pats' next game, I figured I would give a shout out to all us homers who had to take a lot of crap this preseason and offseason because we subscribe to the philosophy of "In Bill We Trust".

Kudos to everyone who stood by Belichick and Brady and company while being abused for being homers. We had to fight against the "the game has passed Belichick by", "Brady has lost his passion for football" (or the alternative "Football just isn't important to Brady anymore"), and "We only have so many years left with Brady and Belichick isn't giving him the weapons" crowds.

I would like to say that I am not one to pat myself on the back for being right, but we all know I would be lying. :D Actually, I just wanted to give everyone who stood strong against all the Chicken Littles a thread to feel vindicated for your convictions. I figured I would wait until the Pats are either eliminated from the playoffs or win the Super Bowl, but it is going to be a long two weeks to kill. Besides, win or lose the Super Bowl, this year has far exceeded everyone's expectations.

LOVE this thread:rocker::rocker: Remember the cries to "trade Brady"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down