PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's Get Our DE at 17 or higher if need be!

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for your input. i am not opposed to wilkerson becoming a patriot. it's just when i compare cam jordan, watt and wilkerson, i just feel jordan is the more versatile player while being a perfect fit for the pats at RDE.

I see Wilkerson as an LDE, ie another Ty Warren type. Although he could offer value, I don't see him as offering the best fit considering our current personnell is already chock full of run stuffers: Warren, Wilfork, Stroud, Brace. I can see either Cam Jordan or Watt at RDE. For our system I have the DEs ranked as follows:

1. Dareus
2. Watt
3. Jordan
4. Wilkerson
5. Heyward

its not just strength, but leverage. wilkerson has the ability to collapse the pocket even double-teamed......its more about creating the opportunites for the OLB to get to the QB than actually getting to the QB.

Since Seymour has left, the pressure on the QB has not been the same in New England who regularly commanded double teams. I don't see Wilkerson being a Seymour type of player, he's more of a run clogger like Warren. Watt and Jordan offer the best chance to increase pressure on the QB up front.

Having a defensive end who can command double teams, collapse the pocket, and beat offensive tackles puts enormous pressure on the QB to get rid of the ball faster. Guess what a DE who is getting to the QB early in the game will soon be commanding double teams to prevent that from happening. It's a ripple effect.

I don't dislike Wilkerson by any means, I think he will be a very solid 5 tech, but he is not the rare prospect who jumps off the page at you as an athletic freak. Workout warrior has been used as a derogatory term, but it is never a bad thing in the NFL to have the bigger, more athletic player as long as his technique and effort coincide with the talent. Suh's a workout warrior by definition, and I don't think New England would mind having him at all.

Watt possesses jump off the field athleticism and agility, and makes highlight plays that you just don't see from guys his size. Combine that with his relentless motor, prototypical frame, and fiery intensity and you have a guy who could be very special with the appropriate coaching and conditioning.

Since Seymour has left, the pressure on the QB has not been the same in New England who regularly commanded double teams. I don't see Wilkerson being a Seymour type of player, he's more of a run clogger like Warren. Watt and Jordan offer the best chance to increase pressure on the QB up front.

I don't dislike Wilkerson by any means, I think he will be a very solid 5 tech, but he is not the rare prospect who jumps off the page at you as an athletic freak. Workout warrior has been used as a derogatory term, but it is never a bad thing in the NFL to have the bigger, more athletic player as long as his technique and effort coincide with the talent. Suh's a workout warrior by definition, and I don't think New England would mind having him at all.

Watt possesses jump off the field athleticism and agility, and makes highlight plays that you just don't see from guys his size. Combine that with his relentless motor, prototypical frame, and fiery intensity and you have a guy who could be very special with the appropriate coaching and conditioning.

I believe if you put watt or jordan at RDE for the pats, that they will be run on quite consistently. jordan is simply not big enough, and watt didn't show a whole lot of leverage in college

nobody cares about highlight plays from a 3-4 DL......its what can be sustained play after play.

Watt made lots of highlights this year in college. in his Sr year in college, seymour made none. really has nothing to do with how things might turn out.

I'll go on record now and predict that wilkerson will wind up being a better pro and provide more consistency

Wilkerson plays taller than Watt given his longer arms. Wilkerson has 25 lbs on Watt and still showed good agility and fluidity at the combine.

Last edited:
To me Watt seems to have a lot of upside - but BB knows players on a level i cannot comprehend!

It will be interesting if the Dolphins pass on Ingram

To me Watt seems to have a lot of upside - but BB knows players on a level i cannot comprehend!

It will be interesting if the Dolphins pass on Ingram

After seeing many of the highlights and interviews, looking at the stats and combine numbers, and of course..watching the games for the 'eye test,' I can honestly say that I will be disappointed if we do not find a way to grab Watt.

I think the obvious need lies on defense, and with the number of picks and returning injured players, I feel that we have the ammo to make a serious run, and to reload defensively like the days of old. Our offense gets it done, our RB is coming off a 1,000 yard season, and the running back by committee approach seems to work just fine. That said, I'm very curious to see what BB thinks of the future of the RB situation, as I feel that another one (like OL) can be had later on in the draft.

I do agree however, that the possibility of Ingram may be there at 17, as it's a crapshoot to try and figure out what MIA's pick will be. They have many needs, and could possibly choose a QB (maybe?) While I, and many others do not agree with taking Ingram at 17, it could indeed be a great pick too. he has been compared to Emmitt Smith, and is the #1 ranked RB. I have seen some draft rankings that have him rated in the top 5-10 most talented players in the entire draft. It's possible that BB could feel that he may be able to pick up Wilkerson or Heyward later on in the draft--hell, he may like one of them better than Watt. Who knows?

We can talk and debate all day, and we likely will, but at the end of the day Belichick is going to do what he wants, what is best for the overall makeup of the team, and for that we should feel lucky no matter what. No matter what the pick will be, there's a darn good chance that it's going to make us a much better team.

Am I the only one who really likes Cam Heyward? I would happily take him at 28. I think he plays with better strength and leverage then Jordan or Watt. He is very strong against the run and at 6ft5 and 295lbs he has room to get bigger. He also has good hustle, I have seen him run plays down from the backside. Pretty good instincts too. I see a bit of Seymour in him. Maybe I'm the only one? He has some improving to do in his pass rush but hopefully can learn a few extra moves.

I wouldn't mind seeing:

17 - Aldon Smith
28 - Cam Heyward

I could also envisage the Pats doing something like this:

17 - Ingram
28 - Heyward
33 - top pash rusher - Sheard?

then pick up some middle round OL - Fusco or someone and one of the small school wide receivers we have been looking at and take a shot at Romeus. Also sprinkle a few trades in there.

Am I the only one who really likes Cam Heyward? I would happily take him at 28. I think he plays with better strength and leverage then Jordan or Watt. He is very strong against the run and at 6ft5 and 295lbs he has room to get bigger. He also has good hustle, I have seen him run plays down from the backside. Pretty good instincts too. I see a bit of Seymour in him. Maybe I'm the only one? He has some improving to do in his pass rush but hopefully can learn a few extra moves.

I wouldn't mind seeing:

17 - Aldon Smith
28 - Cam Heyward

I could also envisage the Pats doing something like this:

17 - Ingram
28 - Heyward
33 - top pash rusher - Sheard?

then pick up some middle round OL - Fusco or someone and one of the small school wide receivers we have been looking at and take a shot at Romeus. Also sprinkle a few trades in there.

The possibilities are endless!! I'd be just fine with your 2nd scenario.

The only thing I wonder is how much truth there is to the trading pick 28 rumors, as we very well may not even have that pick. I'm hoping that BB waits to see what we get at 17 before agreeing to the trade, if there is one.

It's one thing to get the player you want at 17, then trade 28, but we'll need that pick for a Heyward or Wilkerson (doubtful he's around) at 28 if we don't get our DE/OLB first.

As far as Heyward goes, I saw every single OSU game this year, and do agree that he could be a good player. I do think however, that the other players at the position are better, and agree with VJCPatriot's DE rankings at the top of this page--where he has Heyward at #5. Like we've said though, BB may have different rankings based on his knowledge, personal info we aren't privy to, or overall scheme.

Am I the only one who really likes Cam Heyward? I would happily take him at 28.

I'd be more than okay with the selection of Heyward at #28. He has some fine attributes. The problem is that he had a rather pedestrian regular season and only really showed up at his bowl game. I have more confidence in a player who has shown a high level of play the entire season like some of the other DE prospects have.

nobody cares about highlight plays from a 3-4 DL......its what can be sustained play after play.

Your presumption that those who make highlight plays can't sustain solid play throughout a game is illogical. Watt is one of the highest motor prospects in this entire draft. His ability to sustain his level from play to play would be his least questionable characteristic.

The value of impact plays in the NFL cannot be underestimated. Hurries force incompletions. Sacks end drives. And Turnovers can literally win you games. Just scan the recent playoff records for the teams who won the Turnover battle, and the vast majority of the time you'll figure out who won the game just based on the Turnover stat alone.

I'll go on record now and predict that wilkerson will wind up being a better pro and provide more consistency

Everyone goes on the record when they post on this forum. It doesn't really bolster your argument. I think Wilkerson will be solid but will he be spectacular? He won't disappoint but he doesn't stand out as the kind of player that a QB must know where he is on the field on every snap. Seymour was that kind of guy. Warren wasn't. I don't think Wilkerson will be. Watt could well be.

The difference between the elite players and the good players in the NFL is fairly thin. They're all good athletes. But that upper echelon of elite athletes make the special plays. I think Watt can turn out to be special. And getting him with a draft pick is a lot more feasible than paying out a 100M dollar contract to Julius Peppers when he hit free agency for example.

Wilkerson plays taller than Watt given his longer arms. Wilkerson has 25 lbs on Watt and still showed good agility and fluidity at the combine.

Wilkerson doesn't come without his own warts and concerns. What kind of competition did he face in the MAC? Does his level of competition translate to the pros? It is fairly easy to dominate inferior talent.

In the final tally, I think Wilkerson is a solid option at DE, easily worth a 1st round pick, but does he offer us anything different than Ty Warren or Marcus Stroud? With Watt or Jordan, I think they offer another dimension to the defense. One that has been lacking since the departure of Seymour.

I'm in the camp of trading UP to grab the player BB covets....with the #17 and #60 they could move up into the #11 range....They STILL would have #33 to trade and get a mid second round pick and a third plus more....I think#33 is going to be the key to the Patriot's draft philosophy.

That would leave Pats with a mid 2nd round pick and three 3rd rounders ....they could move all over the second round with their midround pick and that mid 3rd round pick....and STILL have pick 74 and 92 in the 3rd round....

Name the 2 players that could be taken by BB and he'd be almost guaranteed to get them if they were on the board......

Grab a stud DE...OLB or OL...and get a nice RB in the 3rd round to compliment BJGE and Woody....

JMHO

I'm in the camp of trading UP to grab the player BB covets....with the #17 and #60 they could move up into the #11 range....They STILL would have #33 to trade and get a mid second round pick and a third plus more....I think#33 is going to be the key to the Patriot's draft philosophy.

Not only does your scenario make theoretical sense, it seems to make practical sense as well...

Pats trade #17 and #60 to the Texans for #11

If Amukamara is gone (Dallas at #9 likely), then the Texans may be looking to trade down. They have 4 key needs on defense (CB, S, OLB, NT) and only 3 picks in the first 2 days of the draft. They are also highly motivated to win now given their annual near-playoff finishes and the Colts looking ripe for being passed.

Pats trade #33 to the Chargers for #50 and #82

If the Bolts don't use their extra assets on day 1, they will have all night to think about how to use their 4 2nd day picks. Lots of solid players will still be around at #33 that fit their defense so they will certainly be tempted.

So instead of:
#17, #28, #33, #60, #74 and #92
the Pats could easily maneuver to:
#11, #28, #50, #74, #80 and #92

At first blush, I'm not a big fan of this since I see the talent cliff hitting at around #70. This scenario pushes one more pick outside that range. Depending on the value at #11, I could live with it since the Pats have needs (RB and G/C) that generally find good value in that #75-#100 range.

DEFENSIVE END
It is the DE that I think that Belichick way be willing to draft at 17 or even trade up as far as he finds value, which could even for Dareus or Miller at 6.

Is Dareus or Miller worth the #17 and #28 picks? I do not think so.

I see a draft deep in OT and D Line for the first round. I see BB using #17 and picking one of those positions and waiting to see if one of those quality players falls to him.

If they start to go early and often, he may trade up a few spots to leapfrog someone.

If multiple players are available when he is on the clock, he may trade down a bit.

I see #28 as a throw away pick. The only way he picks at #28 is if none of the other teams want to deal with him.

Not only does your scenario make theoretical sense, it seems to make practical sense as well...

Pats trade #17 and #60 to the Texans for #11

I agree that Houston is a definite trade possibility if the Pats move up. They need a corner pretty badly but #11 is too early for a corner with both Peterson and Amakamura off the board. I wonder if they'd accept our early Minny 3rd instead of our 2nd rounder as the extra pick?

I do not expect us to trade up for Darius or Miller, even at 6. I suspect that the value would be right to do so, but I don't see it happening.
=================
17 or around 17

We might trade up, down or stay at 17. But I see us drafting a dfensive lineman.
Watt, Jordan, Wilkerson, Liuget, and Taylor are all options.

I expect ALL of these to be gone by the time we pick at 28, likely all in the top 20. When depends on whether there is a run on OT's or QB's.
=============================
I so see us trading away 28 as it is rumored. However, I would be fine with Houston or Reed at 28.

The question for me is when the quarterbacks are picked. We may move down more than once (with 28 and/or 33) until the top 5 quartebacks are gone.
===========================

Is Dareus or Miller worth the #17 and #28 picks? I do not think so.

I see a draft deep in OT and D Line for the first round. I see BB using #17 and picking one of those positions and waiting to see if one of those quality players falls to him.

If they start to go early and often, he may trade up a few spots to leapfrog someone.

If multiple players are available when he is on the clock, he may trade down a bit.

I see #28 as a throw away pick. The only way he picks at #28 is if none of the other teams want to deal with him.

Last edited:
I say zero in on the best fit and trade if need be

We have not been this high and may not be for a while

I pray we get the next coming of Seymour

There seems to be a lot of depth at what we need whether DE, NG to meet

Everything I see says Jordan which means it will be someone else but......

At least we did not get stick with Sergio Kindle.....

I pray for the next Julius peppers

I've just finished reading all 6 pages of this thread thus far and the thing that strikes me most is the possibilities are mind-bogglingly endless. BB seems to has set the Pats up with an intriguing position in this Aprils draft. Should be a fascinating week end for all. I am certainly looking forward to it.

If we only got a highly quality DE and a decent OL and a decent OLB I would call that a success but I think we will get a lot. lot more.

This draft reminds me of the 2003 draft, with multiple good DL available and a huge early run on them: Dewayne Robertson, Johnathan Sullivan, Kevin Williams, Terrell Suggs (yes I know he was converted...), Jimmy Kennedy, Ty Warren, Mike Haynes, Jerome McDougle, Calvin Pace, and William Joseph, all of whom went in the first round. Lots of good players there.

The action was fast and furious and a lot of trades went down, e.g. NYJ trading up for D'Rob. This was also the draft where MIN let their pick free fall two spots to then draft Williams. We did trade up slightly to get our guy, Warren.

With the uncertainty about the top QB and the top tier of talent, wouldn't you expect a lot of trading in this draft, with the weaker teams looking to gain more chances at a good player and the lower teams looking to grab their player? This would seem to be a scenario which favors New England, with the most ammo of any team in the draft.

What are you looking for? There is a variety of DE types with few of them being classic Patriot 3-4 DEs. Dareus is the only guy in the top 17 that fits the mold. And he should go in the top 3 with #6 being his floor.

Box and I have been going back and forth on Jordan. I really like him...Box not so much. We evaluate him about the same but are looking for different things.

People looking for Dareus skills see DE as out of reach and would rather have Wilkinson later...addressing OLB or OT at #17.

People looking for a more multi-purpose athletic type see value at #17 (or a slight trade-up) to get Jordan or Watt with Heyward as plan B.
Some see more value in the 2nd round range with Jenkins, Ballard or Austin. Still very talented but available later...giving the Pats the ability to address other areas first.

Still others think that getting the monsters like Taylor/Ellis is the right approach...or the guys pegged for 4-3 DT like Liuget, Nevis or Paea make sense.

I agree that this is the year of the DE. They are just very different. Depending on what roles/skill sets you are looking for, you will either see an urgency to trade up, see value at #17 or even be content waiting until later.

You know how you can tell that you are reading an awesome thread. You get your mind changed at least 3 times. :D This thread has everything. Well thought out rational opinions that were defended well and argued against just as as well. If a Pats fans reads these six pages he would get a great insight into the Pats potential moves and the players who will be involved

I added Metaphor's quote to my post because I think he articulated the basic situation the Pats face as well as I've seen it done, so its worth repeating.

Here's my 2 cents for what its worth.

1. Clearly the value and depth in the first round of this draft is on the DL.

2. In every past draft when this was the case BB has taken the DLman since IMHO he see's the position as one the hardest to acquire at the high end. Sure you can find capable DLmen later in the draft, but ones with the potential to be elite don't come around very often.

3. While the Pats are likely to go DL with that first pick, However, if you are really honest they don't exactly HAVE to, short term. Stroud, TWarren, GWarren, Wilfolk, Wright, Brace, Pryor, Deadrick ETC will give the 2011 Patriots a pretty solid DL just as it is. Certainly a big improvement on the injury riddled DL we had last season.

4. So when picking a DLman this early in the draft the Pats should be looking to add qualities that are different from the ones they already have. They already have several solid, proven pros. While it wouldn't hurt, they don't need to add "more of the same" just to get younger.

5. That is what makes VJC's impassioned defense of JJ Watt so compelling. This is a draft where NO ONE doesn't present some kind of a risk, even at #1. At 17 or where ever the Pats make their first pick, the guy will end up being somewhat controversial.

6. Common wisdom would say that BB will take the safest bet with his first pick. However THIS year, given the make up of the players available, THIS YEAR is the year to think outside the box. THIS is the year not to take the "safest" player, but the player with the greatest potential to grow into that "special" kind of guy.

7. That's what I'm thinking that BB is thinking. It may be JJ Watt or it maybe Cameron or Wilkerson, so someone else. I'm betting that BB ALREADY knows who it is, and is crafting draft to move up or down to get the player he has targeted.

8. The rumors the the Pats will trade #28 are simply because it makes the most sense. Usually players found at 20-40 carry very similar grade, so its easier to see the Pats moving down with #28 than #33 for a number of reasons.
a, obviously 28 has more value than 33 and would get a better value in return.
b. #33, because of the way the draft is set up, has MORE of a value that than the mere points its allotted.
c. There will be be several teams at the top of the 2nd round who will want to make sure they get their guy before someone else does, ie teams who need a QB. I would be very disappointed if the Pats trade this pick and JUST get "fair value for it.
d. So I can see a scenario where the Pats trade BOTH 28 and 33 and STILL wind up with 4 players with top 50 grades and an additional top 40 pick next year.

9. Assuming the CBA gets done before May, and I think it will, this draft will have a lesser impact that most because I think EVERY team will be able to find capable, cap friendly players in FA. Almost a third of the league will be FAs this off season. I think as the work stoppage continues, the pressure to get a deal done, will grow for THESE players even more than those under contract. There are just so damned many of them.

Finally Kudos to BB for putting the Pats in the position to literally be in control of this draft after the first 10 picks are made.

Last edited:
2003 is a fine comparison.

As in 2003, we may need to trade up to get what Belichick's rates as the top tier of DE's.

This draft reminds me of the 2003 draft, with multiple good DL available and a huge early run on them: Dewayne Robertson, Johnathan Sullivan, Kevin Williams, Terrell Suggs (yes I know he was converted...), Jimmy Kennedy, Ty Warren, Mike Haynes, Jerome McDougle, Calvin Pace, and William Joseph, all of whom went in the first round. Lots of good players there.

The action was fast and furious and a lot of trades went down, e.g. NYJ trading up for D'Rob. This was also the draft where MIN let their pick free fall two spots to then draft Williams. We did trade up slightly to get our guy, Warren.

With the uncertainty about the top QB and the top tier of talent, wouldn't you expect a lot of trading in this draft, with the weaker teams looking to gain more chances at a good player and the lower teams looking to grab their player? This would seem to be a scenario which favors New England, with the most ammo of any team in the draft.

Is Ingram our guy instead? I think there's a distinct possibility, as shocking as it seems.

According to PFT, the 3 teams who are most interested are New England, Miami, and the NY Giants. Miami says he looked 'very fit and explosive,' and that they were 'very impressed with him.' The Pats and NYG are showing 'significant interest' in him.

Mark Ingram worked out for Dolphins on Monday | ProFootballTalk

IF that is the case, I would at least hope that we take someone like Heyward later on, hoping that is of course an option at 28 or 33. He may not be around either. Of course Heyward may somehow (?) be our guy anyway, as BB may be targeting him later on in the round.

Then again, it (Ingram) may all be a smokescreen, but if it is--I would like to know exactly why? Unless it's to make sure that MIA does not pick one of the DE's that we may be looking at? I certainly didn't think that was much of an option for them though, although they do have multiple needs.

One thing I can guarantee--is that we really don't know much of anything ;)

Last edited:
Naah, I don't see the Pats drafting Ingram with 17. 28 is a possibility if we don't trade out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes