PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lets Fix the NFL's Rules for Automatic Reviews

PatSunday

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score

Status quo: The NFL has automated reviews after turnovers and scoring plays (and plays in the last 2 minutes) to speed up the game and make calls more accurate.

Proposal: Allow coaches to challenge those plays again.

Why: There have been instances where the NY office didn't do the job to analyze the play.

Procedure: The head coach would tell the referee, "if NY doesn't want to stop the action to review, I want a challenge before the snap." If the team has time outs remaining, the referee grants an on-field review, with the maximum length subject to normal time out rules.

Worst-case effect: It's the equivalent of a team using a time out.

Status quo: When a referee issues a defensive penalty on a turnover, there is 0% chance of any kind of review. If they don't throw the flag, there's a 100% chance of review.

Proposal: The NY office should review turnovers without regard for yellow flags on the ground.

Why: The referees will be able to make the calls they see on plays resulting in a turnover without worrying they're making the play 0% reviewable or 100% reviewable. Giving the ball to the offense on a failed 4th down conversion or interception? Double check that, please.

Procedure: When a play results in a turnover (interception, failed 4th down conversion, etc) that is negated due to a flag, the NY office looks at the play anyway. The NY office will pause the game as necessary to double check that flags are valid.

Worst-case effect: Only 0 to 5 new plays per game are subject to automatic review (a change of possession negated by a flag), and of these, only the no-huddle plays where the flag needs some time to be looked at would be paused for review.

What do you guys think?

I like suggestions, I'd also add challenging flags or no calls. Dennard getting thrown in green bay comes to mind. Missed hands to face resulting in a defensive sack. Egregious holding calls that lead to game changing plays. Pick plays (Willy nilly at best these days)...

I would also make any correct challenge replaced. I.E. If the zebras are so pathetic that a coach challenges two plays in the first minute, but both challenges go in his favor, he retains both challenges. A challenge isn't lost until a challenge has failed, and a failed challenge still cost a timeout. If not timeout is available, whatever the penalty yardage currently is, plus automatic first down(defensive challenge)/loss of down(offensive challenge).

Speed of the game be damned, if the zebras are going to be allowed to ruin games with ticky tack judgement calls, often not flagged until well after the game changing momentum of the pay has been viewed (Peyton throwing a pick in the red zone against SD. Barely contact well within five yards, safety(? Maybe a LB) makes a ridiculous acrobatic interception. No flag until the catch is obvious.)

I also want coaches to be able to refuse especially terrible referees. If what's his name can refuse to ref in Washington, why not the other way around. If the league doesn't like it, maybe they should replace the hacks nobody wants to see.

Easy fix. Repeal the 1978 rule that Shula forced through and was re-emphasized and the re-re-emphasized.

The old way to defend a pass was to throw off the timing and be close enough to the receiver to struggle for the ball. Now it is to let him contact the ball then hit him hard enough that he does not catch it.

Easy way to cut down on controversial defensive holding calls and actually protect defenseless receivers.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back