Welcome to PatsFans.com

Let's Be Real About Seymour's Situation

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by mgteich, Sep 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

What would you do in the 24-48 hours after you are informed that you have been traded to the raiders with no previous notice, and your kids were starting school on Tuesday morning. I would do the following

1) i'd have a long talk with my wife and start to decide how to make decisions about school, housing and other such matters.

2) I'd have a more than one long talk with my agent.

3) Presuming that I received a call from Oakland, I would tell them that I have not received the paperwork from the patriots (the 5 day letter) and that the team should discuss things through my agent.

Seymour has five days for him, his family and his agent to get their act together.

If my agent and I wanted to negotiate a contract before playing any games, then I would do that. Any contract would add any missing pay to the signing bonus.

Oh yeah, I'd have by buddy Rodney trash the patriots and tell the world how pi$$ed off I am.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  2. A.C Vegas

A.C Vegas Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I am guessing that he was informed before it happen there is no way a team like the Pats just say hey guess what you traded right now go.

and it's only cause the the radiers coach (CABLE i think don't quote me) is an idiot who can't shut his mouth
  3. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

If I really didn't want to play for the Raiders, I wouldn't report. I would force the trade to be rescinded and have the Pats trade me elsewhere. I know the Pats don't want to go the "5 day letter" route because the Pats won't get Oakland's first round pick and I would sit out for 2009.
  4. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#75 Jersey
  5. sarge4

sarge4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

im just glad that he wont be on the field come next monday. I still dont have faith in my beloved Bills o-line
  6. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

AFAIK, no one has sent Seymour a five-day letter, and, if it comes to that, I am sure that "I haven't gotten it" won't be a valid excuse.
  7. ctpatsfan77

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Actually, this article suggests that Seymour is now "officially" on the 53-man roster for the Raiders, and it would be up to them to send the letter. And I'm not sure that would invalidate the trade if they do.
  8. shmessy

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#75 Jersey

Evidently Rodney misinterpreted the first part of Seymour's message:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/07/harrison-seymours-not-thrilled-with-deal-to-raiders/

""......Put yourself in his position," Harrison added. "He's going from a first-class organization to one of the worst in the NFL. You have the head coach fighting the assistant coaches, the owner involved in the day-to-day operations, guys who don't believe in the quarterback. . . . Tom Brady to JaMarcus Russell? Come on. Is that something to look forward to? Why would he be excited?"

.......And you look at the move made by [Patriots head coach Bill] Belichick, and you can see him saying, 'I'd rather get rid of a guy before the last year of his contract.' He knows the Raiders will stink so it's a top-10 pick in return for a guy who's gonna be 30. You know what? That's the business.

"The trade off is, guys get to win championships and make a lot of money, but at the end, it's business. I knew that and instead of my getting whacked [by New England], I whacked myself. If you make money and you're older, it's inevitable you're gonna get whacked."
  9. mgteich

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

Excuse for what? Without a 5-day letter, Seymour can just sit at home and not take a physical. The CBA has rules. If the patriots want him to go and Seymour doesn't go, they need to send him a 5-day letter. Otherwise, the patriots owe him his game pay next Monday.

10. Frezo

Frezo Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#50 Jersey
    The only thing we can be certain of is that if Sey fails the physical, the deal is off. We are not privy to the actual language of the contract. It could state that the deal is contingent upon Sey signing a long term contract. I agree that he is technically Raider property now.
  11. ctpatsfan77

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Except that's my point: if the article I cited above is correct, the ball is currently in Oakland's court, not New England's.
  12. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Doesn't matter, he's not a "Raider" until he actually takes a physical or steps foot onto the Raiders facility.

What if Richard Seymour doesn't show in Oakland? | ProFootballTalk.com

What if Richard Seymour doesn't show in Oakland? | ProFootballTalk.com
  13. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

If it were me, I'd try to keep in mind that I am one year away from FA and a big contract from a marquee team.. Dallas anyone?

Thereby:

I would only hold out to the extent that the Raiders promise not to franchise me next season.
  14. cmasspatsfan

cmasspatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Seymour could eventually get "five-day letter" | ProFootballTalk.com
  15. Patsrock

Patsrock Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

16. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +32 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    Kind of missing where exactly Rodney "trashes the Patriots?"

I don't think he'd really ever do that, and IMO he simply told it like it is.
  17. mgteich

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

Alright, we will all stipulate that if Oakland's lawyers were so stupid as to waive a critical clause in the contract, the ball is now in Oakland's court.

18. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

You think even the Raiders would be that stupid to waive that?
  19. mgteich

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

As was the case with Samuel, I also think that Seymour should report if Oakland agrees in a signed contract that they will not franchise him next year.

20. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I'm not buying the excuse about kids in school. We're talking a four month season here. Yes, it will be tough, but in four months the family will be together again. I've been through this and plenty of other people have. Whether they move now or later, the kids will be fine.
  21. cmasspatsfan

cmasspatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

If he doesnt report and take a physical its in NE's. Then they could work out another deal with Oakland and throw the ball into their court or just take him back which I dont see happening.
  22. spacecrime

spacecrime Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Players have no problems saying it's a business when they change teams and go to the highest bidder or when they hold out for more money.

With the good (big $$$) comes the not so good. Their bodies are used roughly and they are subject to being cut or traded. If they are not willing to accept the not so good, they had no business accepting the good.

The rights and opportunities do not flow one way.

His kids have to change schools. Lots of people making twenty thousand are laid off and have to move. It is very hard to feel sorry for a many making $10 million to do the same.

His kids can change schools. Does it really matter that it happens a week ahead of time (like you make it a big deal to be) or three months? Either way, they were in one school last year and will be in a different school the next. How horrible. Very few kids go to one school all their lives, kids who are far less fortunate than Seymour's kids.

Seymour did a fine job in 2001 and 2003. Could not have won those superbowls without him, and for that I am grateful to him. But it is time for him to stop whining. He received millions and millions of dollars over the years. Now he will earn millions in a new city. Wah wah wah.

I will remember him upending Charlie Garner in a third and one in the Snow Bowl that prevented the Raiders from running out the clock and forcing them to punt the ball back to the Pats. THat play was as important as Vinatieri's kick. But enough already.
  23. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I didn't find any of Rodney's comments offensive... and don't think anyone really should... he's right about it all, especially how Seymour might not be enthrallled at the thought of being franchised by Oakland.

I suppose there's an inherent warning that Belichick might be sending to other players who are entering negotiations.

Try to play hardball and you might just find yourself in Oakland!

That threat might wind up speeding up negotitions in the future!
  24. shmessy

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#75 Jersey
    I don't argue with any of that.

Just that it can't easily be done unexpectedly on the fly within 24-48 hours of the first day of school. I think he'll report - - just that he may need 3 days or so to get his family business in order. Your examples don't take into account the TIME element.

The rules say he has 5 days to report. 'Nuf ced. You expect him to not take the time he's allowed in order to drop his family and rush off to Oakland?

It's a logistics thing. These folks are humans.
  25. mgteich

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

It is not a matter of excuses. It is a matter of priorities and league rules. If Seymour isn't required by league rules to be on the next plane to Oakland, then he won't be on the plane. The consensus understanding is that Seymour can wait and report in a week in response to a formal letter (pursuant to league rules) or even later if he is willing to sacrifice a paycheck.

I agree that Seymour can choose to go to Oakland without his family if and when the business aspects are worked out. As another poster indicated, Seymour may choose not to report until Oakland agrees not to franchise him, the same deal Samuel got from the patriots.

What is in doubt is the exact words of the contract, whether there is a clause regarding the trade being depending on a physical, and whether this clause has been waived. It is most unlikely that anyone in the media has that information.

26. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I'm not sure where Rodney's "trashing" the Patriots.
  27. shmessy

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#75 Jersey
    Many of us in this thread have been scratching our heads about that one.

The quotes are all very complimentary of Belichick and the organization.

If anything, Rodney is telling him, 'yeah it's a rough break, but man up - that's reality'.
  28. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +40 / 2 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    All this "family" stuff is a joke. NFL players miss more time away from the family in one season than most of us do in the 18 years a kid grows up. He wants more money, end of story.
  29. shmessy

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#75 Jersey
    Ugh, once again, it's not "being away from the family" that is probably the issue. It is "leave your family (with three kids starting school tomorrow) within 24-48 hours, when by league rule you have 5 days to report" that is the issue.

If you owe $1,000 for income tax, do you write the check out for $1,500?
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  30. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +40 / 2 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    It's not all that different, some players don't even live in the same city as their families - Harrison's family lived in Atlanta, for example. It's a different lifestyle that shouldn't be compared to yours or mine any more than their outrageous salaries should.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.