Welcome to PatsFans.com

Let's assume these 30 guys are gone. Who ya picking??

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by patsfaninpa, Dec 3, 2012.

1. patsfaninpa

patsfaninpa Rookie

Ratings:
    +30 / 8 / -1

I would either trade the pick down a little 8-10 spots and pick up and early three. Hope Tyler Wilson falls and someone like Buffalo or Arizona want to move up. I have Geno Smith going to KC and Barkley to either Buff or Arizona. Then, use my own three to pick up a four and five. Really doubt we get a 1 and 2 for trading down any longer. Teams are wising up to Bill. If I had to pick, I'd probably go with Sylvester Williams. Seems like Mayo's binkies Jordan and Ansah are really sky rocketing up boards and won't fall to where we pick. There just isn't much skill position talent in this draft. I have 20 defensive guys and 5 ol. I consider them skill people. Fantasy football lovers don't.

QB
    Geno Smith
    Matt Barkley

RB
    None

WR
    Keenan Allen
    D'Andre Hopkins

TE
    Tyler Eiffert

OL
    Luke Joeckel
    Jake Matthews - He's better than Lewan.
    Taylor Lewan
    Eric Fisher
    Chance Womack

DT
    Star Lotulelei
    John Hankins - Could slide. ? his conditioning
    John Jenkins
    Sheldon Richardson - Another who appears to be moving up.
    Kawann Short

DE
    Sam Montgomery
    Damontre Moore
    Dion Jordan
    Zeke Ansah
    Bjorn Woerner

LB
    Kiki Mingo
    Manti Te'o
    Jarvis Jones
    CJ Mosely
    Alec Ogletree

CB
    Dee Milliner
    Jon Banks
    Xavier Rhodes

S
    Eric Reid
    Matt Elam

Top 10 Available? no particular order
    Sylvester Williams - DT - UNC
    Alex Okafor - DE - Texas
    Jon Cooper - G - UNC
    Shariff Floyd - DT - Florida
    Terence Williams - WR - Baylor
    Jesse Williams - Bama 0 sacks makes me think he's not a fit for our new 4-3.
    Tavon Austin - RB/WR - WVU
    Barrett Jones - C - Bama
    David Amerson - DB - NC ST - Didn't have a great junior year. Was great in 2011
    Devin Taylor - DE - USC - The good USC. Seems very projectable. Supposedly, a very smart kid with a frame to get bigger and stronger.
  2. manxman2601

manxman2601 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +380 / 7 / -1

#24 Jersey

In this order:

1. Jon Cooper (by a long way)
    2 Terrance Williams
    3. Tavon Austin
    4. Jesse Williams
    5. Trade Back. Don't really want any of the others you've listed with first pick.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  3. manxman2601

Ratings:
    +380 / 7 / -1

#24 Jersey

Some interesting names you've left off:

Justin Hunter
    Robert Woods
    Jordan Poyer
    Dallas Thomas
    Logan Ryan

I'd take these five ahead of the names you listed that I didn't include in my list.
  4. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +393 / 0 / -1

I'm assuming you're not including Louis Nix in your list. I'd take him in a heartbeat if he were included. Otherwise Jesse Williams and Jonathan Cooper would be the 2 best prospects on your list. I doubt Cooper will be available, and Williams could easily be gone as well. Unlike Manx, I wouldn't consider a WR that early.
  5. patsfaninpa

patsfaninpa Rookie

Ratings:
    +30 / 8 / -1

I didn't put Nix in there. Not many red-shirt soph's declare. Especially ones who go to a good school like ND. Jesse Williams seems like a great fit at NG for a team running the 3-4. We've moved away from that defense. And, if we went back to it. We have a great NG and a great backup. We need someone with pass rushing skills. Did you see the play where our LDE stunted inside and Kyle Love flared out chasing Tannehill? He had no chance. A more athletic DT might make a sack on a play like that. Like you, unlike Manx, I find the wr's really lacking in talent.
  6. manxman2601

Ratings:
    +380 / 7 / -1

#24 Jersey

You haven't seen Terrance Williams block then. Beast! He's also only 2 yards off breaking into the top 10 all-time CFB season receiving records. The one thing he isn't is lacking in talent.
  7. patsfaninpa

patsfaninpa Rookie

Ratings:
    +30 / 8 / -1

I take any stats garnered in the Big 12 with a grain of salt. Doesn't mean they aren't good players. The stats in that league are a joke. It doesn't seem Belichick has any inclination to go after these big wr's early in the draft. He might like a guy like Javon Austin more. Seems like a smaller Percy Harvin. Just didn't face the same competition. Robert Woods doesn't seem special. Good, but not 1st round worthy. If I had to pick the type of wr I'd like who has come out recently it would be Torrey Smith, very fast with good size. With better hands of course.:) I'm not counting the elite prospects like; Calvin Johnson, AJ Green and Julio Jones. We'll never get a sniff of guys like that.

The db's you mentioned I'm sure are fine prospects. I just find it impossible to evaluate them on tv coverage. I just go by people I consider reliable evaluators and the snapshots we get on tv. CBS does a good job with overhead shots. ABC not so.
  8. manxman2601

Ratings:
    +380 / 7 / -1

#24 Jersey

We've got to find someone capable of running under those horrendous Brady deep balls. Mind you, we could find the fastest WR and Brady would probably still overthrow him by five yards.

We need to find a way to stretch the field. Despite all the "Pats offense is the best" talk, we put those numbers up against bad teams. We struggle for success against the better defenses and that's in part because they are better able to defend the short and intermediate. That's why I'm so high on Williams. My favourite receiver is Wheaton but he's not on the list.
  9. patsfaninpa

patsfaninpa Rookie

Ratings:
    +30 / 8 / -1

I certainly wouldn't complain if we drafted a wr. But, let's assume we re-up Welker. Our 5 skill people other than qb are; Ridley, Gronk, Ahern, Welker and Lloyd. Not sure just a wr makes a big impact. I see pass-rushing dt, olb who can play in space and safety as holes. While, I'd like to have a nice young wr prospect. I don't prioritize it as much as the defense.
  10. manxman2601

Ratings:
    +380 / 7 / -1

#24 Jersey

Well re-upping Welker is far from an assumption that can be made considering the inability to come to an agreement and what happened at the start of the year. It would take a rookie WR a year to really get acclimated with the system and by that time Lloyd'c contract would only have a year to run. And as this season has demonstrated, relying on Gronk and AHern to take up most of the receiving slack is a risk considering the physical nature of their games.

It's interesting that Patriots fans are so obsessed with defense when our team lives or dies on it's offense. That's where we need to ensure the pipeline is kept fresh and prosperous.
  11. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +214 / 4 / -5

Here's the thing, though: we don't know what, precisely, it was they were trying to do with Welker. Even the fact that he didn't start in Week 2 is not, in and of itself, all that unusual (from 2007 to 2011, he didn't start about 20% of the time).
  12. manxman2601

Ratings:
    +380 / 7 / -1

#24 Jersey

No different to the 2012 NFL. Both are going the same way. 37 of the 48 top season completion percentages came in the 2000's. Defense is going the way of the Dodo.
  13. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +393 / 0 / -1

Markus Wheaton is a good argument why I'd never take a WR in the 1st round.

I'll take Cooper/Williams + Wheaton later over a 1st round WR + OL/DL later, any day.
  14. manxman2601

Ratings:
    +380 / 7 / -1

#24 Jersey

For me, I'd take whoever improves the team the greatest. I'm not going to get locked in needlessly to positional bias'.
  15. stelfans

stelfans Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 1 / -0

Trade back! 4 picks in the 2nd/3rd rounds will make me happy.
  16. doesntmatter1

doesntmatter1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0

If it fell like this. In this order I would take

Justin Hunter-good speed and a catching radius similar to gronk

Logan Ryan- seen little of him but looks like a potential shutdown cb

Sean Porter- my binkie of this years draft. coverage lb that is similar to atlanta's sean weatherspoon. Not a bad blitzer either, just needs to be a little more physical.

Sharrif Floyd- not the greatest tackler but is in the backfield alot.

Robert Woods- reminds me most of stevie johnson. I think he could fit nicely. Plus I really believe wr is a huge need considering welker and lloyd are our only real options and welker could leave.
  17. manxman2601

Ratings:
    +380 / 7 / -1

#24 Jersey

That's a good list.