PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let the trade speculation begin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't why but I got a feeling that jimmy G might be special I think he could be a good NFL QB

So was Cassel, then Hoyer, then Mallett...

I think they'll keep JAG .
I think Deus started this and I'll admit it's a pet peeve of mine, but can we please stop calling him "JAG"? The connotation is awful, as that acronym is commonly applied in football parlance as "Just Another Guy." Jimmy G. so far has shown more than that.

As far as I know Hoyer and Cassel are both FAs. If they could get one (Hoyer would be my guess) for $1m-2m or so a year for 1-2 years and draft a QB this year to groom, it could work.
They both suck ... Hoyer? Really? We're talking about Hoyer?
I'd rather tank for the draft than have Hoyer for an injured Brady he has slightly more arm strength than Peyton. Cassel would need a permanent psychiatrist to be a legit QB anymore.

If Brady gets injured I'd rather have Grop or tank it.

I think Deus started this and I'll admit it's a pet peeve of mine, but can we please stop calling him "JAG"? The connotation is awful, as that acronym is commonly applied in football parlance as "Just Another Guy." Jimmy G. so far has shown more than that.
It's my Patsfans account and I'll JAG if I want to. :p

I'd rather tank for the draft than have Hoyer for an injured Brady he has slightly more arm strength than Peyton. Cassel would need a permanent psychiatrist to be a legit QB anymore.

Hoyer had a playoff meltdown, but he's better than .500 with the Browns and Texans. The guy deserves All-Pro consideration for that.

We're talking about a Brady backup here - Brady doesn't miss any games and if he did, we know Guerrero would get him fixed up and back on the field pretty quick. So I think Hoyer would be perfectly capable of running the essentials of the offense for a game, maybe two, if needed at an inexpensive price. If, God forbid, Brady misses a season, then of course Jimmy G is preferable, but then that's not what we are talking about here - we are talking about maximizing assets while Brady is still going strong, and also getting a prime return on investment on Jimmy. Won't be a much better "sell high" time than now, really...

Would you prefer GOATroppolo or GaroppoGOAT? :p

Grop is a backup and a potential heir to TFB, I don't see BB letting him go for anything less than big loot.
I wouldn't trade Garoppolo. Period.

I'm a little closer to Snake Eyes' line of thought here.

I highly doubt Garoppolo gets traded, unless three things happen:
(1) They've already identified/acquired another backup they trust.
(2) They plan on extending Brady.
(3) The trade is an example of "An error has occurred" à la Malcom Brown—IOW, some team offers so much for a trade that it would be almost criminal to turn it down (e.g., a 2016 2 + a 2017 1).

We're talking about a Brady backup here - Brady doesn't miss any games and if he did, we know Guerrero would get him fixed up and back on the field pretty quick. So I think Hoyer would be perfectly capable of running the essentials of the offense for a game, maybe two, if needed at an inexpensive price.

Fair point for sure, Ross, but I'm not sure that we can go into the backup situation assuming that we'd only need our QB2 to play one/two games due to injury. I think this is the kind of position where you need to prepare for all 16 games, God forbid.

JG's knowledge of the system places him fairly high on the list of guys who probably shouldn't be traded right now, and even if we could get a decent price for him (what would that even be?), there are other variables such as the uncertainty of the bigger picture re: Belichick's plan. Will TFB be extended? Is it reasonable to expect Tom to continue to play at such a high level for another 3-4 years? Would JG want to stay on as a backup in a 2nd contract? How could they come to terms on that type of pact?

Would you prefer GOATroppolo or GaroppoGOAT? :p

We need to spend several minutes trying to familiarize ourselves with the spelling of his last name, that's all.

Judging by the time it took some people to spell Vereen's last name, we should get it within the next 10 years or so.

Are we really three pages into a thread suggesting that the Patriots are going to get a 3rd round pick for Jimmy G? Just like that pick Ryan Mallett brought in, right?

Fair point for sure, Ross, but I'm not sure that we can go into the backup situation assuming that we'd only need our QB2 to play one/two games due to injury. I think this is the kind of position where you need to prepare for all 16 games, God forbid.

JG's knowledge of the system places him fairly high on the list of guys who probably shouldn't be traded right now, and even if we could get a decent price for him (what would that even be?), there are other variables such as the uncertainty of the bigger picture re: Belichick's plan. Will TFB be extended? Is it reasonable to expect Tom to continue to play at such a high level for another 3-4 years? Would JG want to stay on as a backup in a 2nd contract? How could they come to terms on that type of pact?
Yeah I'm just speaking within the context of the thread. If Bill doesn't want to trade Garoppolo at all then I totally get it and I'm fine with that.

I assume he will not want to stay here on a second contract and will want to try starting elsewhere... I can't see BB paying a whole lot per year on his second deal, versus other teams who would likely pay a fair bit more considering they would want him to be their starter.

Then again, Bill has surprised us before. He may very well pay Jimmy $4-5m a year on a 3-4 year deal to keep the bench warm until Brady hangs 'em up (or, perish the thought, gets traded), then give him a nice raise & extension once he becomes the starter.

Are we really three pages into a thread suggesting that the Patriots are going to get a 3rd round pick for Jimmy G? Just like that pick Ryan Mallett brought in, right?
Lol, that's a fair point, though I think everything with Mallett was simply overvaluing a QB simply because he had been in the Pats' system. Jimmy is definitely a superior player to Ryan without any of the off-the-field or behavioral issues.

I really can't see the team trading Jimmy g a year after taking him in the second

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

I hope when BB retires and writes his 1,000+ page memoir of why he did everything he did, I hope he has a chapter on what he thinks of the back up QB.

He's taken three of them in the second or third round slot, meaning maybe it's a pretty important position even though the starting QB doesn't have an iota of contention that he's the starter. But then also takes seventh rounders who didn't even throw a pass in college.

I thought I'd come to a conclusion but I don't have one. It's a good thing (for me) that posting on the internet is free.

Mallet sucked, even when he played against the stiffs, and that's what almost everyone except some posters here saw. We shouldn't underrate JAG's value just because Mallet was wildly overrated by people here.

I assume he will not want to stay here on a second contract and will want to try starting elsewhere.

It's a catch 22, if Grop is ok with staying here as a backup then he's NOT the heir.

Mallet sucked, even when he played against the stiffs, and that's what almost everyone except some posters here saw. We shouldn't underrate JAG's value just because Mallet was wildly overrated by people here.

And yet the Patriots kept him as their only alternative to Brady for two full seasons without making a serious effort to upgrade (no, the Tebow sideshow doesn't count IMO).

Prediction: BB is going to draft a QB in the third round this year for no other reason than to f*ck with people on PatsFans.com.

And yet the Patriots kept him as their only alternative to Brady for two full seasons without making a serious effort to upgrade (no, the Tebow sideshow doesn't count IMO).

They drafted a replacement and ditched Mallet before his contract ran out.

Pretty telling...

Prediction: BB is going to draft a QB in the third round this year for no other reason than to f*ck with people on PatsFans.com.

They gotta make sure there's a capable QB to back up Jimmy G when he takes over 2018.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes