Welcome to PatsFans.com

Let the debate begin. Should #2 be tried as a enemy combatant?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patradomous, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Patradomous

Patradomous Rookie

Ratings:
    +149 / 5 / -17

#87 Jersey

My answer is absolutley and unequivocally.

If there is enough evidence to prove they bombed in the name of jihad or Gigi Rivera or anybody else. #2 should be tried as an enemy combatant and shipped to gitmo.

I'm wondering how Eric Holdup is go explain different.
  2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +227 / 8 / -13

Well since he is a US citizen on US soil I would think not.

The only complication is that Islam views itself as both a religion AND a political system, which is rather different than other religions, but the Constitution is what it is (good thing) and we should 'bend the rules' because a segment of Islam consider itself at war with the US.

If the person weren't a US citizen, here on a Student Visa for example then the enemy combatant designation is a no brainer.
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

As a country we have been very successful in trying terrorists, less so in military tribunals.. see Guantanamo.

To move this kid, who will be viewed as a hero to some, to Guantanamo amongst hard core Jihadists serves no useful purpose...

He will be tried and convicted in civilian courts more expeditiously, and will end up on death row.. just as we have done with many others.. he is also an american citizen who allegedly committed this offense in America

He should be tried in American Courts, and after being found guilty should be sent to Florence until his death sentence is effected..

I believe that letting him rot in Florence, is preferable to putting him to death.. waking up every day in isolation, underground, will make him crazier than he already is.. and will not allow someone else to put him out of his misery.
  4. IllegalContact

IllegalContact On the Roster

Ratings:
    +398 / 4 / -10

I don't believe he will.

First there will have to be proof of what you claim. It may have been possible with the older brother, but I don't see it with this one.
  5. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,214 / 9 / -7

#75 Jersey

That's the unfortunate thing. The wrong brother survived.

I'm saying that from a US Intelligence point of view. I could be wrong but I don't think the younger/follower brother had the contact with possible external "handlers" that the older one had. I wish the older one had been taken alive and given a dose of sodium pentathol.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +227 / 8 / -13

Let's not playing the game of making younger brother into some sort of victim, when I was 18 I was in the USAF and a grown man responsible for my action.

See the grin on his face when he placed his bomb behind the little 8 year that was blown to bits minutes later (with his Mom and sister who were maimed).

Just stop this guy is a terrorist and killer.
  7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Civilian trial for a civilian crime same as Oklahoma. The OP is unfamiliar with the Constitution and rules of law. Just a mistake.
  8. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +398 / 4 / -10

That's one way of looking at it........ The older brother was more of the same.

This kid isn't even religious
  9. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +398 / 4 / -10

Many new laws since mcveigh. I'm with you, but there will be an argument about thi regardless
  10. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

He is a pot head..
  11. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +398 / 4 / -10

Whose been under a lot of pressure?
  12. Chopblock CB

Chopblock CB Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

How we prosecute this individual really matters not..He will get his just due. I worry about all the radicals who watched what went down, watched how they were identified, watched the show of force and can now use this against us. These arseholes were nothing but expendable pawns in a recon, informational gathering terrorist act. They now know what to look out for and how to go about doing it all over again thinking...if theses amateurs can do this imagine what an organized funded group could have the potential to do....sad but so. You execute this terrorist, you create a martyr, piss off the muslim society in Russia and around the world. Like the father said, "you kill my son all hell will break loose." The trial will be a dog and pony show with an obvious outcome. If they execute him, many people will be cold bloodily executed around the world in the name of this martyr. Reality kicks in again
  13. Chopblock CB

Chopblock CB Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Odds are if he was a pothead, he's have been too stoned and paranoid to go through with this....Stop giving pot a bad name......he was probably on Meth or a cokehead.....or maybe even on some ADHD med!!
  14. Patradomous

Patradomous Rookie

Ratings:
    +149 / 5 / -17

#87 Jersey

Oh boy Lets wait about 3 mos. and all the hollywood candy asses and liberal pony tail lawyers from Harvard get on their soap boxes.

He'll be on Letterman a year from now.

Wait till all ifs,buts and maybe excuses and the rough childhood and all that shiit is allowed in the narrative.
  15. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

This shows how desperate select folks are to derail their own thread.. he will never be interviewed again, write a book or be on TV except for his trial.
  16. Patradomous

Patradomous Rookie

Ratings:
    +149 / 5 / -17

#87 Jersey

Pressure of society and draconian cuts in government programs and such.
  17. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

That is how many of his friends described him..
  18. shmessy

Ratings:
    +1,214 / 9 / -7

#75 Jersey

Had they both been taken alive, my guess is that the end result would have mirrored the DC Sniper 2002 result. The older/ringleader - John Muhammad got death. The younger/impressionable/follower - Lee Boyd Malvo got life plus 8 without parole.
  19. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

True. The same thoughts crossed my mind yesterday.

Another reason why the media show (which will continue) and massive show of force by the government may work against us. It was good in the short-term but...

How's West, Texas doing. How about Korea? Do we still have troops in Afghanistan? I wonder what the news cycle will be like on this one?
  20. shmessy

Ratings:
    +1,214 / 9 / -7

#75 Jersey

Wake up, you're having another reactionary fantasy. The kid will get life with no parole - - just like Malvo.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013