PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let me tell you about Jordan Richards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many seem to believe that it was a great pick...but, once again, not in the 2nd round. Could the Pats have landed him later and used the pick more wisely? (No, I don't mean selecting another long-snapper.)

Jordan Richards is badly beaten to the corner in the Rose Bowl game two years ago by Jeremy Langford, the Michigan State RB who was drafted two rounds later this year. It's not even close. Langford, the fastest RB at the Combine, running a 4.41, scored a TD with _ease_. Richards can't be coached into making the play. It's about fast-twitch fibers.

Amateur video from the endzone:
Excerpt from broadcast. The play begins at 4:33:

It's just one play, but I think it shows the physical limitations of Richards. Good luck in the NFL, Jordan. I think you may make a better coach than a player.

Jordan Richards is badly beaten to the corner in the Rose Bowl game two years ago by Jeremy Langford, the Michigan State RB who was drafted two rounds later this year. It's not even close. Langford, the fastest RB at the Combine, running a 4.41, scored a TD with _ease_. Richards can't be coached into making the play. It's about fast-twitch fibers.

It's just one play, but I think it shows the physical limitations of Richards. Good luck in the NFL, Jordan. I think you may make a better coach than a player.

1 clip doesn't really show anything, and coaching wise he should have been a bit wider on his containment. There are plenty of examples of players who weren't scoring at the top of any physical attribute list that still had productive NFL careers. Let the guys put on some pads and compete in training camp before we start writing them off.

As @JarOfMayo51 said, that could have been played better by Richards. That's a really hard one on one matchup to have, and Richard should have played it wider from the start, and trust the linebackers to clean up if the RB made the cut inwards.

I'm not writing him off. I'm just saying he has a lack of pure speed and range, which he makes up for by taking good angles and being a student of the game. Check out his draft review at CBS Sports where, at a practice for the East-West Shrine Game, Bo Marchionte says he was burned on a similar type of play by South Dakota State's Zachary Zenner. In Mike Reiss speak, I should have said "It's something to keep an eye on." http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1851154/jordan-richards

This calls into question, however, whether his value is not as high as his draft status. To me he looks like a sixth-rounder we could have taken a round earlier for his outstanding intelligence and character and leadership. As Cap'n Stone has rightly said, there were better secondary players to be drafted--on the Stanford Cardinals, Richards's own team!

I'm not writing him off. I'm just saying he has a lack of pure speed and range, which he makes up for by taking good angles and being a student of the game. Check out his draft review at CBS Sports where, at a practice for the East-West Shrine Game, Bo Marchionte says he was burned on a similar type of play by South Dakota State's Zachary Zenner. In Mike Reiss speak, I should have said "It's something to keep an eye on." http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1851154/jordan-richards

This calls into question, however, whether his value is not as high as his draft status. To me he looks like a sixth-rounder we could have taken a round earlier for his outstanding intelligence and character and leadership. As Cap'n Stone has rightly said, there were better secondary players to be drafted--on the Stanford Cardinals, Richards's own team!

Yea he definitely fits the head scratcher 2nd round pick that Belichick likes to so often antagonize us with lol
Hopefully he works out for all our sakes.. he should at least be a solid special teamer, but a 2nd round pick on just a special teamer is too high. Really looking forward to training camp!

I keep forgetting the team even drafted Richards, and when I remember suddenly it's like a bonus pick!

I'm still really bothered by this pick. I can only hope Mr. Richards proves me dead-wrong.

Last edited:
I would have loved the Richards selection if it was in the 5th or 6th round. I hate it in the 2nd especially with some legitimate top 25 talents still in play.

Richards is destined to have the Tavon Wilson "Curse" attached to him. Both get it for nothing they have done.

Draftnik fools are out to crucify both as examples of Belichick myopic drafting, when better athletes, at least according to the Drafnik idiots, were available. Since more than 50% of 2nd round picks bust, it is amazing that Wilson is here for his 4th season, on a SB winning team, and has become at least a ST stalwart. Yet the criticism never abates.

It takes brains as well as brawn, to play winning football. But that idea never percolates into the minds of fools.

Great job at making apples to oranges comparisons! Yeah! Extra back pats for you!

It's about fast-twitch fibers.

What does this mean? Richards had a 6.74 on the three cone drill. Edelman had a 6.62, McCourty 6.7 and Deion Branch was a 6.71. Wes Welker was a 7.06. So Richards has one of the best 3-cone times ever on the Patriots, except for Edelman, and he does not have "fast-twitch" fibers? Because Richards 3-cone drill was 0.03 seconds slower than Branch and 0.32 faster than Welker, he does not have "fast-twitch" fibers? Looks like a comment without an understanding to me.

I'm going to camp Thursday for a first look. Jordan Richards, eh?...I go almost every day.Should be able to see how well he matches up against other nFL talent.

I'm going to camp Thursday for a first look. Jordan Richards, eh?...I go almost every day.Should be able to see how well he matches up against other nFL talent.

You're going to boo Kraft right? At least start some chant to insult him. Let him know what Patriots fans think of that greedy corrupt scumbag traitor.

I'm conflicted on Shady Bob...on one hand he's been the saviour of our franchise...on the other hand he's acted the polar opposite to that which his fanbase fervently believes. So, no. I can't openly boo Kraft. My heart isn't in it. Goodell? Now THAT is another jackass of a different color. If I could, I would camp outside every single residence he owns and bombard him with megaphone level questions and insults until he responds. Nothing more would I love in what's left of my life than to have this lying, devious, smarmy little punk take a swing at me.

Lmao........

The joys of retirement Joker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye