Lester diagnosed with lymphoma

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/

September 01, 2006
Lester update
By Greg Lee, Globe Staff

A statement released from the Lester family.

Jon Lester has been diagnosed with a treatable form of anaplastic large cell lymphoma and will begin treatment within the coming week.

Jon and his family wish to thank all those involved in his care at Massachusetts General Hospital. Our gratitude also extends to the Red Sox organization which has provided Jon and his family much needed support during this ordeal.

We ask that you respect our need for privacy during this difficult time.

Posted By: glee | Time: 06:09:54 PM

Last edited:
Just terrible news! I am in shock although I knew this was a possibility.

Prayers for him and his family.:(

So incredibly sad. Definately sending good thoughts and prayers to him and his entire family.

Get Well soon Jon Lester...strange things happen that end up well. That accident was the work of your guardian angel.

A good freind of mine...his mother fell down a flight of stairs which led to discovery of a brain tumor. She recovered from the tumor and is healthy today. When she woke from being unconscious she told everybody that she was shoved down the stairs but nobody was there to push her...life's strange miracles at work.

Last edited:
Poor Jonny Lester. As soon as I heard 'testing lymph nodes' I knew it was not good. Luckily, he has a great prognosis.

Geez, two health scares in a week. WTF is up in Boston?

all prayers and thoughts to the Lester family. May he have a full recovery and may he and his family stay strong

I am familiar with anaplastic large cell lymphoma as my wife was diagnosed with the disease in July 2005. Hers was a very aggressive varietal as she was rated a Stage 4 at the onset.

Due to some additional complications that arose the very day she was to start chemotherapy (CHOP), her number of sessions rose from 6 to 8 treatments (1 every 3 weeks).

thankfully after 5+ months of treatments, she was pronounced in remission and remains so at this time.

although this type of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma is rare, it does carry a good percentage of success treatment rate, especially for young male adults.

One thing I do know is that the chemo will kick the sh!t out of him one way or the other. His youth and current degree of fitness will help him withstand and recover from the beating however.

I am trusting that he will take his treatment at Dana Farber, as did my wife, and that he will have a successful result as well. I can't say enough good things about the doctors and staff we encountered there.

Last edited:
I believe the cure rate for what Lester has is 90%, if caught early. Very good to hear. Get well, kid.

Yankee fan here. But I wish Lester a complete and quick recovery.

Beat this Jon, and we'll see you on the mound against us next year.

He said he was going in for his first Chemo session last Friday. Has anyone heard anything? I hate to pry, but you do sort of feel like you know these guys after a while.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back