PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lest we forget.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
With about half of those guys I can remember saying oh I hope the Pats pick him which luckily they didn't. Now I just say in Bill we trust.

On the list I don't see how Joey Harrington is #2 and I figured Ryan Leaf would be further up the list. I remember it be bantied about who should the Colts take, Manning or Leaf?

Last edited:
It is really so interesting that with all the combine things..scouts and all that there are misses..MANY misses. WWhat does that really say about the whole process?? One would think after awhile there are common things that are there for the NOT-misses..and yet?? There really are many...and I think BB has an inside track on that..so others may miss a bit more often. Sure, there are some that are closer to can not miss players...a Bush, a Hawk..but furher down the line..is it easier...harder?? What intangibles make a player become a better one??

Tunescribe said:
Wow, Colts and Bengals make up nearly half the list.

That's a good point and one I hadn't noticed. I guess it shows that you can lead a team with a high draft pick to water, but you can't make them drink!

Willie55 said:
On the list I don't see how Joey Harrington is #2 and I figured Ryan Leaf would be further up the list. I remember it be bantied about who should the Colts take, Manning or Leaf?
Exactly right. On any list of busts Leaf shoukld be Number 1. Boz is high, but he was more hype than anything, a Ray Lweis type of self-promoter that generates buzz. (Thokugh Lewis can play in the NFl, which Bosworth obviously couldn;t)

But Leaf was touted by all the experts as great. Many had him higher than Manning. And he flopped terribly.

Harrington is not that bad. He lasted a few years nore than Leaf and is playing better than some QBs now. Once he gets out of Detroit and into Saban's care, he may okay. Not great, but not on hte all-time bust list either.

Half these guys on the SI list were busts because of a media frenzy surrounding them. The media made them out to be perfect, and when they proved mortal, the media measured them against the yardstick of their own over-blown expactations.

The same thing could happen with AV, if he has a bad year. No media talking head will see it as a bad year that any player can have. Becuase the ESPN gurus have stated that the best off-season move was the signing of AV by the COlts, if he stumbles, they will turn an him and make him out to be something he isn';t, just as they are doing now.

Yeah, Colts and Bengals do lead us through quite a stretch of Bustville (which mercifully does not include Eugene Chung or Hart Lee Dykes by SI's estimation.)

What would Jeff George have to have done to be considered a total bust?

PFnV

Willie55 said:
With about half of those guys I can remember saying oh I hope the Pats pick him which luckily they didn't. Now I just say in Bill we trust.
I am surprised there weren't any Pats on that list - we could probably create a great list here of Pats only busts... Eugene Chung, anyone...? How about a dose of Leonard "1 hit wonder" Russell, Chris Canty and that WR in the early 90's that was supposed to be the next jerry Rice..?

willie55 said:
I think it was just a list of players in no particular order... because yes, otherwise Ryan Leaf would be way higher on the list than he was. When you analyze (1) how high he was drafted, (2) how little he played and (3) how poorly he played when he did have the chance, he probably is the single largest bust of all time.

A couple of those guys weren't busts

I think Steve Entman and Trev Alberts could play but injuries took them off the field. The rest of the group were clearly big busts. I think Ryan Leaf is the biggest bust of all time.

spacecrime said:
Exactly right. On any list of busts Leaf shoukld be Number 1.

The list is in chronological order except Harrington is out of place. He should be 22, not 2. I would guess that would be a mistake by the techy who posted it.

dhamz said:
The list is in chronological order except Harrington is out of place. He should be 22, not 2. I would guess that would be a mistake by the techy who posted it.
Ah, thanks for noticing that. Couldn't understand why Harrington would be #2. Funny that Boz is Number 1 in chronological order and if not 1, then a close second to Leaf, if bust magnitude (???) order.

dhamz said:
Nice attention to detail. Just an opinion on one of them: Brian Bosworth wasn't doing too badly until Bo Jackson completely ran over him on a short TD run. Problem for Bosworth was that it was on Monday Night Football. Boz seemed to deteriorate a lot from then on.

Last edited:
Brain "The Boz" Bosworth - there's a name from the past.

I guess it turns out that football wasn't his true calling. He was a much better actor than he was a linebacker. ; )

My goodness though - it looks like the Colts alone could field an "all time greatest draft bust" - and the jury ain't out on Peyton either.

Last edited:
Who was the lineman Green Bay picked, was on the cover of SI, and labeled "can't miss"? I remember the GB coach saying something to the effect, "I can't believe we missed b y so much on this guy", to which his GM said, "That's OK, everyone else in the league did, too!".

This was some years ago....

Never mind - it was Tony Mandarich....

Last edited:
With all the workouts, tests, scouts, etc. that have been referenced, I surprised that one of the most important hasn't been mentioned. That is heart or desire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots