PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Leonhard: Revis to Cover Welker

Status
Not open for further replies.
It smells like a lame attempt at misdirection but, if true, who cares? Revis isn't made to cover a receiver like Welker. If they want to tip their hand and waste Revis trying, well, have fun with that.

Revis can go step-for-step in a line with anyone, and he has great closing speed. He's brilliant at shutting down burner stretch-the-field #1 receivers. Do the Pats have even have anyone like that?

Welker's an ultra-shifty "slot" guy who gets moved around a ton.
Hernandez is a ridiculously quick TE who might as well be a WR.
Ocho and Branch are great route-runners and possession receivers.
Gronk is, well...he's f****** Gronk.
We're still not sure what Price is.

Excepting Gronk, who's a monster who can just go up and get it anywhere, all of the Pats receivers are dangerous because of their separation and YAC. If the O-line holds up even reasonably well, and if there's a healthy does of Benny and the Riddler to keep them honest, the Jets secondary is in for a long day.

Anything can happen in a division game, of course, but the teams are completely different this season.

In the 45-3 game didnt the JESTS try that and the Pats started putting Welker int he backfield and confusing the heck out of them?

Do it again! :D

Did the Pats really do that? If so, that's a brilliant coaching move, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat...I don't remember much from that 45-3 game - it was one of those get to the parking lot EARLY...pretty bombed that game...:eek:

Did the Pats really do that? If so, that's a brilliant coaching move, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat...I don't remember much from that 45-3 game - it was one of those get to the parking lot EARLY...pretty bombed that game...:eek:

Ya IIRC it was a couple of plays, they put Welker back there and Revis was close to the LOS trying to attempt to stay with him and he caught a pass or two that way.

Anyone else remember of am I imagining? LOL

Revis is going to be in Welker's back pocket for the whole game. Quick outs, screens etc.

Welker vs Revis what a matchup!

This is going to be exciting! This matchup is going to be fantastic, I can't wait! It has they hype, the feeling of an old fashion brawl. If anyone can do work on Revis it's Wes Welker!
WELKERVSREVISFIGHTPOSTER6.jpg

Re: Welker vs Revis what a matchup!

somebody shop in Mark Sanchez vs the Jets.

Last edited:
Haven't seen much of the Jets DL this year, but if it is just a small step below last year's, then I think the Pats will have no problem on offense. They have too many options right now.

Last edited:

Yup, in the second game the Jets played man to man. In the 3rd game they went to zone, which seemed to throw the pats off. Welker even said they practiced all week for man to man.

Does anyone know status for Hernandez this week. Maybe it's been listed I didn't see it.

GO PATS!

He is questionable on the injury report, however most here seem to be thinking that he will play as he practiced on Thursday/Friday.

That's a waste. You missed the best game of the season.

WELKERVSREVISFIGHTPOSTER6.jpg

I'm taking Welker in this one. Sure Revis can cover receivers like no other but Welker is not a traditional receiver, he is the perfect slot receiver. There is a difference and we will witness it tomorrow!

I would motion Welker back towards the line , exposing Revis to a pulling Mankins/Waters on what turns out to be a running play. A couple of hits and the Jets will reassign Revis.

I think Welker would embarrass Revis. The Jets got this guy for guys like Randy Moss. Tall and fast. But Wes is small and shifty.
We may not have Moss any more but we got another guy who is pretty tall and fast ...Aaron Hernandez.
So I call BS on this rumor. I think Revis will be on AH. They'll put Cromartie on Wes.
Of course, I could be wrong.

I would motion Welker back towards the line , exposing Revis to a pulling Mankins/Waters on what turns out to be a running play. A couple of hits and the Jets will reassign Revis.

Now, that would be entertaining.

In any case, why does anyone think the Jets would change from what they used to befuddle us in the playoffs? IE Zone. The whole Revis 'on him, no- him, wait, no- it's really him', sounds to me like the diversion.

Also PF, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they drop an extra man into coverage, or go small at LB, and force us to run against a short stack which we could not. This, which in turn brought us Ridley and Vereen, and a new run attitude on the OL to counter said exact strategy?

If so, I guess we'll see how it works... I'm excited. Gonna be a good game. I'm also officially going on record predicting a big skirmish or two once we start blowing them out late.

Yeah, that too. I wish we had Vollmer. Watching Solder play TE wrecking crew would be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes